Is there a PDF

By Fenderstat, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Hello Team

Been referred over to here. Is there a PDF of this and can I effectively play this game with only a PDF? I don't feel like owning any physical components anymore.

Dan

Nope, no PDF for this game. It may be because of Lucasart/film directive, more than FFG, so we will see whether it changes with Disney.

Cheers

Ceodryn

Fenderstat said:

Hello Team

Been referred over to here. Is there a PDF of this and can I effectively play this game with only a PDF? I don't feel like owning any physical components anymore.

Dan

Nope, and there probably won't be for the forseeable future given how LucasFilm treats PDFs as being "electronic media" separate from the RPG license and thus under the purview of LucasArts, thus requiring an entirely separate license. Wizards of the Coast ran into the same issue, and were only able to release free PDFs on their web-site under a contractual loophole that those were "RPG supplemental material," and is probably the same reason that FFG was able to release the Week # Updates for the EotE Beta.

So if you want the BegBox or EotE materials, you're going to have to shell out for the dead-tree versions.

suposidly somone has torn their beta book apart and scanned it i however havent seen it. only other option i can see is taking my book to kinkos and start "sharing"

Yeah, the torrented version is usually an inevitability. Though I wouldn't know from personal experience, I'm sure it's out there. Further, if someone were to have a copy it would be foolish to advertise it on the boards. LFL is pretty adamant about making companies enforce their license agreements. So if someone had torn up their book and scanned it, I wouldn’t expect to see a whole lot of news about it on the site. The mods will probably take care of that post pretty quick and give and just as quickly let the user know that they’d crossed a line.

Sadly, pirated PDFs of books are a fact of life in today's world.

So if you're desperate for a PDF copy of FFG's Star Wars material and don't care one whit about legality, then illegal download is your only option.

It's possible that FFG might be able to re-negotiate that portion of their license now that LucasFilm as a whole is owned by Disney, but that won't be for a few years yet.

And maybe I'm just really old school, but I much prefer to have a physical copy of at least the core rulebook of any RPG I own/play. If nothing else, makes it a lot easier to cross-reference things in the same book.

yeah when a book went out of print in another rpg i played a long time ago we made somone sacrafice a book to the pdf scanner so we at least could make our characters. However this is a beta i wish we could get people the books who needed them to decide the fate of their character.

Donovan Morningfire said:

And maybe I'm just really old school, but I much prefer to have a physical copy of at least the core rulebook of any RPG I own/play. If nothing else, makes it a lot easier to cross-reference things in the same book.

I'm not sure about the ease of cross-referencing anymore - with the good reader app on my iPad, I can quickly & easily add bookmarks and annotations to PDF RPG rules & scenarios, plus have multiple sources open, highlight text and search the entire text very quickly. It makes gm-ing easier and hard copy is now less user friendly.

I prefer PDFs as I already own to much crap anyway. I try and avoid torrented PDF's for games that are easily attainable, especially new games.

Fenderstat said:

I prefer PDFs as I already own to much crap anyway. I try and avoid torrented PDF's for games that are easily attainable, especially new games.

It would be nice, yes. And I'm in teh same boat as you.

But if the SW License with FFG is similar to the one with WotC - it doesn't (and won't) cover any pdf products (as Dono said). Lucasfilm considers that to be "electronic gaming". [rolls eyes]

So don't blame FFG. ;-) But it's unlikely we'll see pdfs.