X-Com: The Board Game

By TysonDude, in The Crystal Ball and The Wishing Well

I would love to see FFG do a board game version of X-Com!

TysonDude said:

I always thought a board game version of X-Com would do very well. Wouldn't mind seeing FFG do this myself :)

Sounds like a great idea. X-Com actually plays very much like a fantasy game in a different setting, so why not style it after Descent? There'd need to be some differences though. Cover would need to be emphasized. Maps would need to be randomly generated and progressively revealed. And instead of getting loot that can be used on the spot, it instead gets funnelled into research. A campaign would be the default way to play.

Sounds like a great idea. X-Com actually plays very much like a fantasy game in a different setting, so why not style it after Descent? There'd need to be some differences though. Cover would need to be emphasized. Maps would need to be randomly generated and progressively revealed. And instead of getting loot that can be used on the spot, it instead gets funnelled into research. A campaign would be the default way to play. In other words, it'd combine some of the awesome tactical play of Descent but branch off into some interesting new directions.

I think X-Com would make a better RPG than Board Game, but then again Can't we have Both?

Apparently, the designers of XCOM Enemy Unknown created a prototype board game to test the game mechanics in the early days of the game's development. Personally, I think an XCOM board game could be great - though I'm not sure how well the whole experience would translate. The combat side of things would work for sure, but the base management?

Apparently, the designers of XCOM Enemy Unknown created a prototype board game to test the game mechanics in the early days of the game's development. Personally, I think an XCOM board game could be great - though I'm not sure how well the whole experience would translate. The combat side of things would work for sure, but the base management?

You are not wrong. They originally intended Enemy Unknown to be a tabletop game, but decided against it. For those interested, however, Brother Vinni's is currently creating miniatures based off of the X-com EU aliens. As of now they have the Sectoid and the Muton (called the space troll) in development.

Take a look to the Galaxy Defenders Board game, here : http://galaxy-defenders.com

There are many features in common with X-Com ;)