Anyone make movie character writeups?

By Romus, in General Discussion

Would love to see some examples of characters from the movies using these new rules, like Luke, Han, Boba Fett, even Vader.

This was one of my favorite things in the D6 books, looking at the character stats.

Rule #1: If an NPC has stats, then the PCs will find a way to defeat it. I've never given or used stats for NPCs that are never supposed to be beaten by the players.

I think It could be fun to do some write ups - however they will be subject to individual interpretation and should be intended more as guidelines than
anything else.

Let's start off small and see what we can come up with.

Luke Skywalker for instance would in the beginning of episode IV be an Explorer: Fringer.

Male Human
Brawn: 3
Agility: 3 to 4
Intellect: 3
Cunning: 2
Willpower: 2
Presence: 2

Skills:
Astrogation 1, Pilot (Space) 2, Cool 1, Perception 1, Negotiation 1, Streetwise 1, Mechanics 2, Ranged (Light) 2

Talents:
Force Sensitive
?

Feel free to add. :)

Note: Information has been converted from the SW Core Rulebook - Revised Edition (D20)

// Incarnate

Incarnate said:

I think It could be fun to do some write ups - however they will be subject to individual interpretation and should be intended more as guidelines than
anything else.

Let's start off small and see what we can come up with.

Luke Skywalker for instance would in the beginning of episode IV be an Explorer: Fringer.

Male Human
Brawn: 3
Agility: 3 to 4

Let's see -

Br 3 = 30pt
Ag 3 = 30pt
In 3 = 30pt

That's 90pt - Luke can't get another 40 to raise Ag to 4. his 20 +5+10 from taking both additional points from ob leaves him shy by 5p of getting that 4th rank in Agility. Really, I think he SHOULD be Ag 4, but only Br 2 - he's not visibly overly strong in the movies.

Luke Skywalker (in the beginning of episode IV)
Career: Explorer: Fringer.

Male Human
Brawn: 2
Agility: 4

Obligation: Dutybound (His foster parents farm)

Skills:
Astrogation 1, Pilot (Space) 2, Cool 1, Perception 1, Negotiation 1, Streetwise 1, Mechanics 1, Ranged (Light) 1

Talents:
Force Sensitive
?

Credits: 500
Gear:

Notes:
Xp spent on: Raising characteristics:
Agility from 2 to 4 - 70 pts
Intellect from 2 to 3 - 30 pts

Xp spent buying skills:
Mechanics - 10 pts (non-career)
Ranged (Light) - 10 pts (non-career)

Additional Obligation 20 - Spent on Xp = 20 xp

XP Left: 0

Incarnate said:

Luke Skywalker (in the beginning of episode IV)
Career: Explorer: Fringer.

Male Human

Skills:
Astrogation 1, Pilot (Space) 2, Cool 1, Perception 1, Negotiation 1, Streetwise 1, Mechanics 1, Ranged (Light) 1

Talents:
Force Sensitive
?

Credits: 500
Gear:

Notes:
Xp spent on: Raising characteristics:
Agility from 2 to 4 - 70 pts
Intellect from 2 to 3 - 30 pts

Xp spent buying skills:
Mechanics - 10 pts (non-career)
Ranged (Light) - 10 pts (non-career)

Additional Obligation 20 - Spent on Xp = 20 xp

XP Left: 0

He needs to have spent some points on starting gear… he does have a 4KCr landspeeder at start, and a blaster rifle. Arguably, the landspeeder could be the "party vehicle" until Han and Chewie join the party… but the blaster rifle exceeds his Cr500 starting allowance, and he's got macrobinocs, too. So, either he's got 5 or 15 ob in extra gear.

Also, being human, he gets 4 career and 2 specialty, and two non-class skills; you have him getting 7 free levels, which is just wrong.

We see very little evidence he's got negotiation in Ep IV. And, based upon how poorly he negotiates with Han ("she's rich") he's not negotiating with skill…

Also, we don't see him use a blaster pistol at all in Ep IV. Carbines and Rifles only, which are Ranged Heavy.

So, drop negotiation, and take mechanics and ranged heavy as his racial bonus skills for +0 XP, and he's got 10 XP left (as humans get 110, not 100)… and appears to have Pilot (Planetary) 1 as well, eating the unspent 10 points.

Further, he's not force sensitive at start - he spends XP on it in a later session. (Probably session 2 or 3.)

Male Human

Skills:
Astrogation 1, Pilot (Space) 2, Pilot (Planetary) 1, Cool 1, Perception 1, Streetwise 1, Mechanics 1, Ranged (Heavy) 1

Talents:
none
XP Spent
30 Int 3
70 Ag 4
10 Pilot (Planet) 1 (Non-Class)
0 Mechanic 1 (Free from human racial trait)
0 Ranged (Heavy) 1 (free from human racial trait)

Looks better…

Kallabecca said:

Kallabecca said:

Rule #1: If an NPC has stats, then the PCs will find a way to defeat it. I've never given or used stats for NPCs that are never supposed to be beaten by the players.

Wow, what a constructive post you've added here. Now get off your lazy non-iconic character building bum and go offer your "sage" advice to a proper thread discussing the MERITS of creating iconic characters.

aramis said:

Aramis said:

He needs to have spent some points on starting gear… he does have a 4KCr landspeeder at start, and a blaster rifle. Arguably, the landspeeder could be the "party vehicle" until Han and Chewie join the party… but the blaster rifle exceeds his Cr500 starting allowance, and he's got macrobinocs, too. So, either he's got 5 or 15 ob in extra gear.

Also, being human, he gets 4 career and 2 specialty, and two non-class skills; you have him getting 7 free levels, which is just wrong.

We see very little evidence he's got negotiation in Ep IV. And, based upon how poorly he negotiates with Han ("she's rich") he's not negotiating with skill…

Also, we don't see him use a blaster pistol at all in Ep IV. Carbines and Rifles only, which are Ranged Heavy.

So, drop negotiation, and take mechanics and ranged heavy as his racial bonus skills for +0 XP, and he's got 10 XP left (as humans get 110, not 100)… and appears to have Pilot (Planetary) 1 as well, eating the unspent 10 points.

Further, he's not force sensitive at start - he spends XP on it in a later session. (Probably session 2 or 3.)

Male Human

Skills:
Astrogation 1, Pilot (Space) 2, Pilot (Planetary) 1, Cool 1, Perception 1, Streetwise 1, Mechanics 1, Ranged (Heavy) 1

Talents:
none
XP Spent
30 Int 3
70 Ag 4
10 Pilot (Planet) 1 (Non-Class)
0 Mechanic 1 (Free from human racial trait)
0 Ranged (Heavy) 1 (free from human racial trait)

Looks better…

Aramis, that's just wrong! (see how easy it is to write like an arse :) … you could also refer to Kallabecca's post at the top of this thread).

Keep in mind that Luke had never left Tatooine during the first nineteen years of his life. Piloting his landspeeder and T-16 Skyhopper airspeeder were his primary escapes from working on Owen's moisture farm.

1. If created as a NEW build @ the start of ANH, Luke should receive only a single rank in Pilot (Space) to denote sharing his father's natural piloting skills. He could however deserve a second rank in Pilot (Planet) due to his reputation for flying his T-16.

2. While Luke hasn't been offworld, Astrogation could stay because his inclination to look towards the stars has probably channeled his interest to learn about this skill.

3. Moreover, take another look at the Explorer class specialization descriptions and bonus career skills. Luke is better fit as a Scout rather than a Fringer. A Scout focuses on skills that are planetside, while a Fringer is designed for offworld jaunts.

4. Luke should have a single rank each in the Survival and Athletics skills. Being a Scout allows these bonus skills to be handily accessed.

5. Ehh, Luke with Streetwise? He has about as much Streetwise as he does Negotiation. So that skill should be removed.

6. Luke with any Ranged Light or Heavy combat skills is debatable. His aptitude may rather be reflected by a high Ag score. On the other hand, he has skill in Gunnery from shooting womp rats in his T-16. Might just help him take down some Tie Fighters later.

7. Under RAW, Luke would have to become Force-Sensitive by taking the F-S Exile specialization. He should start with a Force Rating of 1, PERIOD, just like little Anakin. Luke's Force Rating could rise to 2 after some training with Obi-Wan and he may even take the Jedi specialization which hasn't even yet been revealed.

With those fine tuning adjustments, the Luke build started by Incarnate and edited by Aramis's coarse words should start giving us a clear idea of what Luke should look like at the beginning of Ep IV. That is unless he's a bit more experienced than a new character :P

I would think Luke would be a lot more than a starting character. If you follow previous games, like the West End Games version, they gave him far more than a starting characters starting dice in skills.

Romus said:

I would think Luke would be a lot more than a starting character. If you follow previous games, like the West End Games version, they gave him far more than a starting characters starting dice in skills.

Yeah, the WEG version of Luke as of ANH was a ridiculously advanced character, particularly given how high his Attributes were given he had two Force Skills.

I figure that any write-ups are going to have to be along a similar vein, as even the OCR/RCR versions put ANH-era Luke at roughly 3rd level (Fringer 2/Jedi 1) and typically with better starting ability scores than the PCs could acquire under the point-buy method.

So for EotE, same thing's going to wind up being applied, not only for Luke but also for Leia and most especially for Han and Chewie.

I thought they did okay with the D6 versions, but I thought Han got way too much love … 7D Brawling!, 8D Con! … I thought A lot of his skills should have been nerfed by 2 or 3 dice.

Romus said:

I thought they did okay with the D6 versions, but I thought Han got way too much love … 7D Brawling!, 8D Con! … I thought A lot of his skills should have been nerfed by 2 or 3 dice.

Well, to be fair Han is a far more advanced character than Luke or Leia, having about a decade on them age-wise and plenty of his own adventures to boot. Maybe they went too far on some of his skills, but that's something that's utlimately subjective, much the same as any attempt to write-up established characters from the movies or EU would be, particularly primary characters like the Heroes of Yavin and even Anakin, Obi-Wan & Ahsoka of the Clone War series.