Themed Axis Army

By Infidel Yankee, in Dust Warfare General Discussion

Although new to Dust, I've been playing miniatures games for 20 years. In that time, I've always preferred armies with a theme versus a WAAC army. With that in mind, I wanted to created an Axis Gebirgsjaeger-themed force:

Kommandotrupp
Recon Grenadiers x3
Sniper Grenadier Team
LPW 1-C "Hans" x2
Lightning War Upgrade

This comes in at 148 points. I really have no idea how competitive this platoon would be, but I'm going for style over substance.

I think it captures the flavor of a mountain warfare platoon nicely. It could also easily be used as a Fallschirmjager-themed platoon. My only problem would be how to expand this to 300 points while keeping with the same theme. Obviously, heavy units are out, so might need to look at a Bltkruez platoon. I could easily see gorillas in a force such as this.

Anywho, I just wanted to toss this out there and I hope it gives you a new way to look at your army lists.

I like the cut of your jib.

May I suggest also sticking a Heinrich in there? You have the points, and the support slot. It would give you a lot of nice direct and AAA firepower. And while you're at it, you need a radio spotter team; with 2 Hans walkers, you're going to do artillery fire a lot. And since the spotters come with the snipers, well…

You might want to take something that can kill tanks.

Kill tanks you say…ever gotten within 16" of a Hans? One of its two sets of rocket launchers has 1/5 Tank Hunter 16" range…At 150 points, he's all set.

Well, the new Axis aircraft look like they are on Skis.

Again, a lot of Dust stuff is made for anime coolness, not functionality. The skis are landing skids, like those used on the ME163. Personally, I would have preferred regular landing gear, but the fellow who started this whole thing preferred skids.

Warboss Krag said:

Again, a lot of Dust stuff is made for anime coolness, not functionality. The skis are landing skids, like those used on the ME163. Personally, I would have preferred regular landing gear, but the fellow who started this whole thing preferred skids.

Well, they are VTOL and skids weigh a lot less.

Um. They're also unaerodynamic as all hell, unless they're retractable. Dunno if they are; haven't seen the model yet.

Nice, I also Enjoy themed lists. I think Manfred is a must for the direction your going. The Heinrich and even the Herman would fit nicely also. I agree on the observers. Heck, do a second platoon like you have now and give them both the improved command upgrade and add pinpoint observation to your command teams and add an observer team and those light walkers are sure to over preform.

Man, the game is about to change radically…at least infantry game-play. Both the Sovs and the Americans are getting mortars. 'Artillery' fire is going to become commonplace, the Germans will need mortars of their own (they really need them now), and FFG might consider boxing spotter units separately at that point, because radiomen are going to become commonplace as well!

I do wish the Sovs could get a female-crewed artillery piece - in the Great Patriotic War, they had whole artillery battalions with women crewing the big guns.

i was thinking about this by reading the new post about laser grenadiers on www.dust-war.com: how come this kind of units can be tabled this days?

Landing gear would be a failry easy conversion. I will probably do the same.