Two issues with the "Jury-rigged" talent

By player266669, in Talents and Specialization Trees

I'd like to see "Jury-rigged" changed a bit.

Firstly, I'd suggest removing the ability to reduce the Advantage cost on triggering a weapon's quality, because it makes Auto-fire broken again. I'm fine with the +1 damage and reduced Critical cost, but reducing Auto=fire back to just 1 Advantage per activation makes this a very powerful option.

Also, the text doesn't cover what happens when the weapon or armor in question is lost. Assuming the bonus does not automatically convey to another of the character's weapons or pieces of armor, then the character has in effect lost XP equal to the cost of the talent. Is this what the designers' intend?

Venthrac said:

I'd like to see "Jury-rigged" changed a bit.

Firstly, I'd suggest removing the ability to reduce the Advantage cost on triggering a weapon's quality, because it makes Auto-fire broken again. I'm fine with the +1 damage and reduced Critical cost, but reducing Auto=fire back to just 1 Advantage per activation makes this a very powerful option.

Also, the text doesn't cover what happens when the weapon or armor in question is lost. Assuming the bonus does not automatically convey to another of the character's weapons or pieces of armor, then the character has in effect lost XP equal to the cost of the talent. Is this what the designers' intend?

On the first one, the fact that the PC is dedicating at least 15 XP to an Autofire weapon (presuming Gadgeteer spec, which gets Jury-Rigged talent the fastest), as opposed to upgrading their armor or any of the other fun things that Jury-Rigged can be used for, isn't quite as bad. Yes, it makes Autofire very powerful, but also consider the PC's had to spend a fair amount of resources (XP to buy the talent, to say nothing of Obligation to be able to afford such a weapon) to get this set-up. So it's not quite as bad as the original rules for Autofire, since it takes a semi-dedicated build to enable it rather than just being something anyone could do (which was half the problem with Autofire's original set-up).

As for the talent's duration, I'd think that bonus could be applied to a different weapon/armor/item if the original item is lost, but it wouldn't be an instant transfer. I'd probably have the PC wait until the group's next period of in-character downtime in order to have the new item benefit from Jury-Rigged. However, even if the original item were recovered, it'd have lost the benefits of the Jury-Rigged talent since it's no longer being "maintained" by the PC. This is all hypothetical, and largely how I'd handle it as a GM.

I agree on not allowing it for auto fire, which is already Super powerful.

I would allow a player to transfer it to an item so long as they don't do it constantly or "tactically". For example, if they grade to a new weapon, no problem. If they want to temporarily transfer it to some melee weapon they plan to use in the next encounter and then switch it back, that is too cheesy.