New Rogue Trader Designer Diary

By FFG Ross Watson, in Rogue Trader

Hey Rogue Trader Fans!

I just uploaded a new designer diary about the themes of Rogue Trader, so go check it out. gran_risa.gif

Very exciting. I love this exploration in to the economy of the imperium. Much more interesting than, say, a pirate or trader in star wars, and much more dangerous and unknown.

Glad to see this product!

I sense a hint of Traveler . Which isn't a bad thing at all, but I forsee some of it creeping in. Bravo.

Hmm... grim, dark, gothic. Gee, this game might be set in the 40K universe! gui%C3%B1o.gif

OK, but seriously, it's a nice teaser for someone who doesn't know the setting to well.

Pneumonica said:

I sense a hint of Traveler . Which isn't a bad thing at all, but I forsee some of it creeping in. Bravo.

Well, with the possible exception that Traveller traders tend to be a bit... smaller than the ones on 40k that we are commonly presented with. gran_risa.gif

Kage

When can we see some excerpts frm this book?

Like the previews we had to Dark Heresy?

Kage2020 said:

Pneumonica said:

Well, with the possible exception that Traveller traders tend to be a bit... smaller than the ones on 40k that we are commonly presented with. gran_risa.gif

Kage

Yeah but it'll most likely be a bit of narrative upscaling though eh?

Cpt Kirk: Mr Scott i need Warp factor 6 NOW!

Scotty: She cannae tek anymore Captain, but i'll see what i can give ye...

*Scotty and 3 redshirt engineers head off to fiddle about with some GNDNs and Kirk gets his power at the dramatically appropriate moment*

Rogue Trader Kirkius: Magos Scott i need Warp translation NOW!

Magos Scott: +click+ The blessed engine +whirr+ is operating at maximal capacity +beep+. I will make the neccessary +bzz+ Ohmnissial libations for overcharge +click+.

*Magos Scott and 300 redshirt servitorss head off to fiddle about with some GNDNs and Kirkius gets his power at the dramatically appropriate moment*

Exactly the same thing, could be modelled using the same rules, with a narrative upscale to make it '40k'...

The real question is, is that good or bad?

Luddite said:

The real question is, is that good or bad?

Depends... Captain Kirk didn't have to worry about where all that extra power came from to go to Warp 6 NOW.

Trader Kirkus may have to especially if the Screens that kept the warp beasties out surged due to the powerflux, allowing in a variable smorgsaborg of nasties. Either that or the sudden and unexpected translation into the warp didn't give the psykers on board time to prep causing all of their heads to explode (figuratively and literally). Would be kind of bad to do an emergency warp translation, and suddenly find that the Navigator wasn't prepared for it, and is now in a coma, and you have no idea where (or when) you're going to.

Xathess Wolfe said:

Would be kind of bad to do an emergency warp translation, and suddenly find that the Navigator wasn't prepared for it, and is now in a coma, and you have no idea where (or when) you're going to.

Only if your playing a character on that ship demonio.gif

Xathess Wolfe said:

Depends... Captain Kirk didn't have to worry about where all that extra power came from to go to Warp 6 NOW.

Trader Kirkus may have to especially if the Screens that kept the warp beasties out surged due to the powerflux, allowing in a variable smorgsaborg of nasties. Either that or the sudden and unexpected translation into the warp didn't give the psykers on board time to prep causing all of their heads to explode (figuratively and literally). Would be kind of bad to do an emergency warp translation, and suddenly find that the Navigator wasn't prepared for it, and is now in a coma, and you have no idea where (or when) you're going to.

Well, I guess that kicking you vessel into warp speed is no technical picknick either. You could probably make it just a detailed in Star Trek as you make it here in your example. It all about narrative style and I think that FFG will hold back on the details in support of a faster pace. Aka, you will be able to transition to the warp at the dramaticly appropiate moment and don't worry about the details.

OK. Nothing really new in this update. Was hoping for something a little more solid. Oh well. Still really appreciate that we are getting regular (so far) updates. Thanks, Ross!

Robban-O said:

It all about narrative style and I think that FFG will hold back on the details in support of a faster pace. Aka, you will be able to transition to the warp at the dramaticly appropiate moment and don't worry about the details.

But they can do that now, so what's the point in the new book if it doesn't actually give new information and means of handling or abstracting the 40k universe?

Kage

Redeucer said:

OK. Nothing really new in this update. Was hoping for something a little more solid. Oh well. Still really appreciate that we are getting regular (so far) updates. Thanks, Ross!

I agree with the calmour for a "crunchier" update.

A list of Chapter headings or even something more detailed would be great! Not going to happen, or I don't believe it would, but certainly would be great in keeping peoples focus on drumming up interesting in the game. gran_risa.gif

Kage

Kage2020 said:

But they can do that now, so what's the point in the new book if it doesn't actually give new information and means of handling or abstracting the 40k universe?

Kage

Well, the point is being able to play a Rogue Trader, which you also can do now. That does not mean that you get a more detailed rules. The system they will use is highly gamistic meaning that details and simulation are not being a priority. Think about it this way, you are suppose to play a person on the "bridge" and you are suppose to have character progression. That means that unless you have good stats from the beginning you are going to have trouble when you fly your ship, especially if FFG does it your way. But then you have no character progression. The way around it is to make flying a ship less dangerous than it should be according to the setting. You will have trouble, encounters and other phenomenons in space but as a rule, flying will be like in Star Trek. At least that is what I think.

Im not even requesting chapter titles (afterall, seeing entries like Characters, Equipment, Combat) doesnt due me any good.

Just some hard core answers. Are there Xenos for PCs? What are the worlds of origin? Are they same as DH/Similar in use, funciton?

Exactly what is the power tier difference? Is it in freedom and merely a Role Playing aspect, or is it actually in stats, skills and talents (XP)?

If a rogue trader fleets leaves Cadia on 8.452.814M41 do they arrive before or after a Catachan frigate departing on 1.123.813M41 travelling through the warp with a rank 5 Navigator?

Peacekeeper_b said:

Im not even requesting chapter titles (afterall, seeing entries like Characters, Equipment, Combat) doesnt due me any good.

Just some hard core answers. Are there Xenos for PCs? What are the worlds of origin? Are they same as DH/Similar in use, funciton?

Exactly what is the power tier difference? Is it in freedom and merely a Role Playing aspect, or is it actually in stats, skills and talents (XP)?

Yup. That's more what I was hoping for in an update.

Peacekeeper_b said:

If a rogue trader fleets leaves Cadia on 8.452.814M41 do they arrive before or after a Catachan frigate departing on 1.123.813M41 travelling through the warp with a rank 5 Navigator?

I...I don't know. AAAAAAAAAaaaah! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Peacekeeper_b said:

Before, after, or both, as determined by the vagaries of the Warp and the accuracy of the first datemark - if the check digit is an 8, then the date could be decades out...

Or, on average, it might be even a bit more predictable than that. I kinda hope that things are a bit more consistent with the earlier 'fluff' on travel times for Navigators, but that calculated jumps utilise the premise whereby the distance along a warp route is determined by the number of jumps and a multiplier of the standard durations represented in WD139/140. In there, the calculated warp jump becomes the 'standard,' and Rogue Traders fight amongst themselves—undertake dangerous journeys—just so they can shave off one of those jumps, or perhaps even dangerous enterly a slightly faster current.

And, figuratively laughing, are the Navigators. One jump, one rule.

Heh, not as if that's going to happen, but there we go. gran_risa.gif

Kage