UN-NAMED

By COCLCG, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

Last deck that I was working on. Unfinished ( had to weed out some Uniques I think but the few times I played it there wasn't a huge problem as some are Twilight Gate resource candidates and others you can sacrifice if the Temple is about to make way for the second copy ).

3 x Degenerate Serpent Cultist
3 x Brood of Yig
3 x Faceless Abductor
3 x Blood Magician
2 x The Carpathian
3 x Many-angled Thing
3 x Laboring Gug
3 x Dreamlands Fanatic
2 x Carl Stanford
3 x Stalking Hound
2 x Uroborus, Fang of Yig
3 x Hideous Guardian
2 x Puj-Dunk, Gug Chieftain

3 x Twilight Gate
2 x Feeding Frenzy
3 x Deep One Assault

3 x Khopesh of the Abyss
2 x Temple of R'lyeh, Frozen in Time
2 x Y'ha-nthlei Statue

NOTES:

Blood Magician for threatening Laboring Gug / Hideous Guardian terror icons or Investgation icons.

Carpathian for reacting to the sacrificing and searching for Khopesh's.

Y'ha-nthlei statue to maximise sacrificing targets ( no weenies ).

Puj-Dunk / Laboring Gug / Hideous Guardian for possible Twilight Gate / Khopesh play.

Free Characters !! Stalking Hound / Dreamlands Fanatic / Uroborus / possible Laboring Gug.

Please note that this deck is far from finished. It was going to be a slap together replacement Nationals deck if I could fine tune it to be playable but realistically I cannot attend ( either that or the motorbike rego ). It was very likely that I'd be cutting it back to 33 Characters to fit in 2 x Pulled From the Beyond. This has several uses for this deck.

1 ) To my sometimes flawed understanding, it could be used to pull an opponents Character out of discard to activate the Stalking Hounds. A nice little surprise in their story phase to be committed and then facing one of their own and a Hound or 2.

2 ) If the Temple is in place and there is a Serpent Cultist in the discard it could be used for a cheap 1 cost sacrifice card.

3 ) Hideous Guardian ( or the like ) from discard for a Khopesh phase.

COCLCG said:

1 ) To my sometimes flawed understanding, it could be used to pull an opponents Character out of discard to activate the Stalking Hounds. A nice little surprise in their story phase to be committed and then facing one of their own and a Hound or 2.
www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp

Gug/Kopesh decks can be rough to play against. The look of horror on your opponents face when you drop a Kopesh on a Hideous Guardian is worth it. sorpresa.gif

COCLCG, I used this exact deck last night to test out it plays. It is pretty brutal once it gets rolling.

A couple issues I had: my opponent played a Flux Stabilizer and 70 Steps on turn one. Gulp. It really slowed the deck down and almost lost. However I managed to creep back with a kopesh on a guardian and eventually won. Also, I ended up resourcing Feeding Frenzy a lot. I never seemed like I needed it since I was killing everything with kopesh and the temple.

Pretty fun deck, the Carpathian worked really well digging out kopesh.

Nice. Thanks. Seeing as its not really completed that's portentious. Now that I know Pulled From the Beyond doesnt activate the Hounds, perhaps swap them for Constricting Elder Thing to deal with those pesky Supports for a turn to get some breathing space, but, you can't help a nice draw and Flux / Steps on turn 1 would seriously mess with most decks I think. Well done on clawing back from that one !! I only put in Feeding Frenzy as the 3 cost department is severely lacking combat icons so you may find yourself in a situation with none and no Hideous Guardian to take the wounds, but if I was to seriously continue and playtest ( which I'm forcing myself not to ) then it might change, and Sacrificial Offerings would be a good candidate. Thanks again for the time and effort.