Wild Dice?

By AlphaDeadOne, in General Discussion

Has anyone played with the 'Wild dice' effect?

And do you think that it flow into this new system with it's different dice?

For the people that don't know what I'm talking about this goes back, for me, to d6 star wars. Out of your d6 dice pull one dice was coloured different, the 'Wild Dice', and it allowed some very different things to happen. Made up by the gm

example: Shooting with 4d6 needing 10 to hit. you roll 4,3,5, 1 . But this one was on the wild dice. GM thinks of his feet and says "yes you hit! however you see the red little light blinking on the back or you blaster telling you that the little Jawa who sold you the magazine was lying about how many shots it had!!"

The same goes the other way as well when you roll a 6. Something good has happened.

I've had a lot of fun with the wild dice system and if anyone has done the same and got some stories please share!

My favourite one was a group of 'not so smart' stormtroopers infiltrating a enemy base. They still wore their armour and decided to take a astro droid as well.

After finally gaining entrance to a large/slow service elevator and going down some 200 levels, the squad leader thought it would be a great idea to let their Captain (another PC from another group, Trying to get them killed every possible moment they could with stupid missions) know how well they were doing. The units comms man makes the call. This was hard due to the all the stuff inbetween them and the shuttle.

Something like this: (something to remember. These players are a very good group of roleplayers and when called on they can make it sound like they've been in the army forever)

Sarge: "Phil!"

Phil "Yes Sarge?!"

"Get me through Captain somethinginhisbum and let's let him know how well we're doing today! Make it quick! I want to get home in time to look at his………"

By this stage Phil was busy at work trying to get through as quick as he could. Can't have the sarge waiting now can we? Due to where they were I made it very hard and he needed 21 on 5d6. Well he does it but rolls a 1 on his wild dice……

Captain "Sorry this friendly Captain speaking. I'm not here right now. Most likely killing some rebel scum that's trying to climb in through your window. If you …."

New Voice "Richard have you cleaned your teeth yet?"

Captain "MOM!! I'm trying to record my voice message! Now I'll have to finish this later!"

"After the beep please record your message. Glory to the Empire. BEEP"

Sarge "Muhahaha! Cap getting slapped around by his own mum! Err sorry there Captain but just to report that we sneaking into their base as we speak. All going to plan we should be able to take out their leadership with no problems at all. Just another walking in the park. Phil kill the signal."

Phil's brother Bill "Dam Sarge that was just to funny! Did anyone record that?"

Sarge "I'm sure the R4 unit did. Looks like we're getting off this planet sooner than expected boys! R4 give us some party music!!!!.

At this stage the R4 unit put on the Numa Numa song and four stormtroopers start dancing in the elevator.

Now lets step back a bit……… Phil rolled a 1 wild dice. So yes, he did manage to get in touch with the ship. But in his haste he forgot to encypt it.

Surprise!!!

I think this kind of thing would be covered by Despair and… whatever the negative versions of Advantage is called. One of the possible suggested results of a Despair is having the player run out of ammunition.

Triumph = crit sucess+ and Despair = crit fail+

Advantage / Threat also allow for varied description of actions not quite succeeding/failing but still effecting the actions to some degree.

The types of results you are looking for are already built into the new system. They just aren't relegated to a single die that determines them.

Cool thanks for the info.

I think the fact that such mechanics are built into the system and lead people away from seeing complications as "critical fails" is a real bonus. One of the things that's always irked me in D6 is when the 1 is seen as an automatic failure. It can certainly mean a success, but with a complication. It sounds like FFG's system has captured that pretty well.