Hades Rules for attacking.

By mgentile7, in Dust Tactics Rules Discussion

I just want to be clear, you have to be 5 spaces away from a unit to be in an un-targetible position and this spacing continues as you move around. So does this assume that if this is a sew system there is always light in the tunnels? That there are no areas of total darkness like in real sewer tunnels? (I have friends who work for the DPW and there are many spaces in the modern sewers with no lights so I would assume in the 1940's there would also be no lights)

I find this strange that there would be any light in the tunnels especially the sewers. Any comments would be apprecited.

I assumed it was based on how far the soldiers flashlights would shine.

Is there any mention of night vision in Hades?

We know that the Axis have it on their walkers, for example.

It would be cool if the Axis player could add night vision to an infantry unit for, say, five points or something.

A the saying goes " There's alway's light at the end of the tunel." :) But I thinks its safe to say that anybody going down sewers will be equiped with some sort of light source.

Major Mishap said:

A the saying goes " There's alway's light at the end of the tunel." :) But I thinks its safe to say that anybody going down sewers will be equiped with some sort of light source.

Yeah I did not consider that as an option but it makes sense. The great distance just seems to take away some of the slinking around in the dark kind of stuff I was hoping for.

I've not played with the Hades rules yet, but I've looked through the book, and I seem to recall that there were tiers of range, where you automatically got cover or something at ranges > 2 moving into complete concealment at 5+? Trying to simulate dimming lights, i think?

With no ranged attacks at all, units that relied on C and 1 distance weapons would be the kings of the underground. As it is, i would think they're pretty devastating down there

Just a question, as I haven't got the rulebook yet: Does the "max 5 spaces" thing takes into account that diagonals after the 1st count as 2 spaces? I remember that the preview they posted a while back didn't consider the increasing range of diagonals, which seemed extremely wrong to me. Has this been corrected in the final rules?

I'd have to double check, but I don't think it did. The book was the same as the preview article if I'm remembering correctly.

I was wondering if you could use the dim lighting rule in a scenario for a night time attack?

marcemtp said:

I was wondering if you could use the dim lighting rule in a scenario for a night time attack?

Sounds like a good idea, could also add in rules for the tank search lights, maybe thay can illuminate a unit up to range 6 and fire normally, but on the flip side, any unit can then shoot at it with no penalty.

When I read the rules for darkness, a neat concept popped into my mind for a custom scenario. An underground (or indoors) battle where the facility's light system is malfuntioning. At the beginning of every round, roll a die. On a hit the light is on, and darkness has no effect. On a blank the light is off and normal darkness rules apply. It could create an interesting dynamic, if you're making your advance under cover of darkness, and randomly the lights turn on and you're fully exposed. Or someone you were shooting previously suddenlt disappears from view as the lights go out.

Loophole Master said:

When I read the rules for darkness, a neat concept popped into my mind for a custom scenario. An underground (or indoors) battle where the facility's light system is malfuntioning. At the beginning of every round, roll a die. On a hit the light is on, and darkness has no effect. On a blank the light is off and normal darkness rules apply. It could create an interesting dynamic, if you're making your advance under cover of darkness, and randomly the lights turn on and you're fully exposed. Or someone you were shooting previously suddenlt disappears from view as the lights go out.

Nice idea I think i could make a lot of games very interesting.

Loophole Master said:

Greate idea!

i was thinking of something like that my self o^-^o