Noobie needing help on materials.

By Nayla, in Dust Warfare

Hi everyone. My husband has really gotten into Dust Tactics, and he's been wanting to paint his miniatures for awhile now. ..so im thinking, what's a better xmas gift right?! So i've been trying to research what stuff I would need to get him to get started. I'm looking for anyone that can point me in the right direction. He has painted miniatures in the past (way in the past), so I would say he is artfully inclined, and not necessarily a beginner.

I could use info on good paints, must have brushes/airbrush etc. I would appreciate any help! Thanks in advance.

Hi Nayla,

I'm posting here primarily to prompt replies from those on this forum who are hardcore painters, but in lieu of that, I'll help as best I can.

Do you have a hobby shop in your area? I would start there as they would carry the supplies/equipment and could suggest what modelling stuff he would need. You can also look up Tamiya paint online and get spray primer and some basic colors for camouflage. I don't use an airbrush so I can't help you there…but a hobby store person could. Be sneaky and find out if he likes standard model paint or water-based paint. I like the latter so I use acrylics…but I fall outside the norm. Flocking stuff might be good too for using on the base…if he's inclined that way.

Also, I suggest a good glue. If he's a modeller, then Testors modelling glue, or something compatible would work. I use superglue as it's faster and quite strong. If you get superglue, then there are good options like flexible squeeze containers that you can replace the tube in, or gel (handy), or even w/ a brush applicator.

Any art store will carry brushes. I'd go for a range of very fine up to something 1/2" wide. Shape options are always good. Pointy and flat are two that work best for me.

Modelling putty is also good if he likes to modify things.

Hope that helps! Good luck and maybe someone will come on here and offer you some even better suggestions.

You'll probably want to get him a few brushes, about 5 - 10 paints and hobby knife to start with. For the brushes, at the low end a few citadel brushes would probably be a good start the standard and fine detail would be enough to start though you can find much better brushes if you want. as for paint it really depends on the color scheme he want to paint his army, Black, white, flesh-tone and black wash and sepia wash will end up on most models though as for paint brand reaper, games workshop privateer press, vellejo and army painter are all good brands for painting mini's my personal favorite being reaper. Also I DO NOT recommend getting an air brush to start with it will greatly increase the cost and effort of getting started and while they can be great its better to learn so more advance painting skills before trying to airbrush things. If you have any questions either message me or post here and I'll get back to you.

Thanks both of you for posting! I was starting to worry lol. We have the typical Hobby Lobby/Pat Catans big box hobby stores, I will check them out for brushes. I just don't remember their paints section being particularly robust. I have no problems ordering online if someone can link me a good place (we live in the US) I have been second guessing the airbrush route also, and I will probably leave that for him to decide on later if he feels confidant enough to go that route. I didn't even think about picking up stuff like putty/hobby knife. Is there any other things like that I should pick up? Do they have something he can use if he "messes" up painting? I really appreciate the time you guys are taking to answer my questions.

Get an exacto knife, brushes, paint and maybe modeling putty or the epoxy equivelent you woln't need it too much on most dust models as they are preassembled/ primed. for the most part you can just paint over mistakes but if you really screw up and need to strip the entire model simple green is what you'll need.

I would start w/ cheap hobby paint. This will allow you to get a MUCH larger color spectrum. As he progresses, he can then decide what specific colors he'd like to upgrade and with what brand. I use vallejo, myself.

I would also suggest some cheap brush packs from a hobby shop.

Some liquitex matte and gloss medium.

x-acto nice, as mentioned.

Maybe some milliput for gap filling.

Play sand or cheap railroad model ballast. I avoid all the gw stuff based on price alone.

For less than 50 dollars you can get more than enough to paint his entire army.