San Francisco / Peninsula

By SkyGazer, in 7. AGoT Metagame Discussions

It's a bit dizzying all the changes in forums lately. So, I apologize if my question has been answered previously. I'm on the San Francisco peninsula. Anyone else out there interested in drumming up some interest in informal games? I'm a newbie and would like to try this game with someone other than my wife (who has so far tolerated my attempts to force her to play the game, just so I can figure it out, but I am overusing my credit there). I know there is an active meta in the East Bay but that's a bit too far for me. I would say anything from S.F. to San Jose needs a "Peninsula" meta. Anyone interested?

There was a group in Santa Clara/San Jose, but I don't know if they are still active.

Peninsula? Did somebody say Peninsula?

Where are you located? I'm in Redwood Shores (near Belmont, San Mateo, San Carlos).

I'm in San Carlos. Well....now we're getting somewhere.

That's awesome. :-) I was not excited about having to drive to Walnut Creek to play a card game...

I sent a friend request to you so that we can communicate more discreetly if necessary. Mind telling me a little bit about yourself? Are you obsessed with AGOT, or more of a casual gamer?

I'm a casual gamer myself, in that I don't plan to spend any real money on playing the game, but I think the game is awesome. I used to play with a friend of mine up in Davis before I moved down here, but I haven't found anyone to play with down here.

I've gotten my brother hooked, but he lives in Sacramento, and my wife isn't particularly fond of complicated gaming..

*By "obsessed with AGOT" I meant to say "obsessed with card games." I saw above that you are new to the game.*

I wish had had the time to be obsessed with anything, at the moment. No, I'm a casual gamer but I am definitely interested in having the experience of playing AGOT. Most of my gaming occurs when my family assembles for various holidays in whatever far flung parts. This is fun but the quantity of such experiences in one year can be numbered on one hand (although the quality of the gaming is quite high). Hence, I find myself as often as not enjoying games solo in the form of discovering how they play, their mechanics, etc. My wife and I have played most of the FFG products at least once. I enjoy the occasional war game (EastFront is currently getting some of my attention as well as Asia Engulfed), so my tastes are all over the map. As soon as I can figure out how to use this forum to actually communicate with you offline, I will! If you can figure out a way, you can beat me to the punch. I look forward to continuing our dialogue and seeing if we can make AGOT work out for us. Perhaps some others lurking on the Peninsula will chime in, as well.

Eh, I can't figure out this "friend" thing. Just email me: [email protected]

I realize the East Bay is too far to drive...perhaps we could meet in the middle? Anyone know of any game stores in Hayward or Fremont? gran_risa.gif

I can't find any non-Gamestop type places in Fremont or Hayward, but I think we could meet for coffee and stuff some Saturday or sunday afternoon in either of those locations. It would be nice to get a multi-meta meeting going every couple of weeks or once a month.

That would be fun. I could probably sneak away from the wife once a month... ;-)

jmccarthy said:

That would be fun. I could probably sneak away from the wife once a month... ;-)

How about Saturday, June 27th? Are you available to visit Game Kastle in Santa Clara? If the south bay guys are also available we could field a small tourney's worth of players...

Chaos,

I could make it to Game Kastle this Saturday morning, say from 9-12 or so. Would you or anyone else be available then?

JMcCarthy

I think I can do that...

I can make it to Game Kastle on Saturday the 27th, but not until Noon or so. Anyone up for playing in the afternoon?

We also play at GK on Thursday nights. Send me an email if you would like to join the mailing list.

[email protected] , (my username is below my name)

-Scott
freewheelin

My schedule's the opposite of the good Doctor's: Saturday morning might work, but Saturday afternoons almost never would. (But then we'd have to find someplace else to play, I guess, if Game Kastle doesn't open until 11:00.)

Game Castle is awefully far South. What about checking with Gator Games for play space for a multi-city meta meet-up?

As to times, when I'm around Saturdays are pretty much free all day, so I could bridge the times and stick around for whoever is showing up, but driving down to SC is only going to happen once or twice before I move to Dallas, just too far to go more than once every few weeks.

dormouse said:

Game Castle is awefully far South. What about checking with Gator Games for play space for a multi-city meta meet-up?

As to times, when I'm around Saturdays are pretty much free all day, so I could bridge the times and stick around for whoever is showing up, but driving down to SC is only going to happen once or twice before I move to Dallas, just too far to go more than once every few weeks.

Are you referring to Gator Games in San Mateo, or someplace else?

Yes in San Mateo. I don't know if they have game play space though.

Ok guys, here is the info. for Sat. (6/27) Thrones:

The players available in the morning (Arma and Mccarthy) plus Myself and dormouse (and anyone else who interested) will meet up early, say 9am or so at some undetermined location (any suggestions??? coffee shop, library etc.) ---> Once we decide i will post it here: __________________

Then at 12noon or so whoever can stick around will migrate over to Game kastle to meet up with the south bay crew (Dr.Cornelius and his group).

Any Questions???

dormouse said:

Yes in San Mateo. I don't know if they have game play space though.

I know the place, its actually where I buy my Thrones. They have limited play space, and its often used for demos, but if in the future we want to meet there, we could inquire about availability of the play space...

What are the chances of some Calicon details being formed over this "Weekend o' fun"?

cha0s said:

Ok guys, here is the info. for Sat. (6/27) Thrones:

The players available in the morning (Arma and Mccarthy) plus Myself and dormouse (and anyone else who interested) will meet up early, say 9am or so at some undetermined location (any suggestions??? coffee shop, library etc.) ---> Once we decide i will post it here: __________________

Then at 12noon or so whoever can stick around will migrate over to Game kastle to meet up with the south bay crew (Dr.Cornelius and his group).

Any Questions???

Lol, I guess I didn't get the memo about NOT being able to edit your previous posts. aplauso.gif

So anyways, it turns out there is a Starbucks across the street from Game Kastle:

Starbucks Coffee
1349 Coleman Ave
Santa Clara, CA 95050

That is where we can meet at 9am on Sat. If there are any other suggestions please post them or email me at [email protected]

Thanks

I'll be there. I've got a friend who said he could come for a little while.

Good games, fellas. Nice to meet you all.

-Luke