Yugioh's finished.

By Cascade2, in UFS Off Topic

Well, coming from a YGO background before playing UFS, I've been passively tracking the long legal battle between Upperdeck and Konami of Japan over the rights to the Yugioh trading game outside of Japan.

Konami, while being the creators, had little-to-no control over the organised play of Yugioh in places such as the US with the Shonen Jump Circuit, and Europe with the Pharaoh's Tours. So they took back the rights to YGO from Upperdeck, who then responded with legal proceedings citing unfair business practices and breaches of contract. It's gone back and forth for about 6 months, but today it seems the courts have given a final ruling in favour of Konami, who will henceforth take over all aspects of YGO.

One of the downsides of this is that organised play of YGO is now done, there is no organised play. It's over.

I'm quite confident in saying that Yugioh as a game will not survive this, it will lose too many players, many jobs at Upperdeck and then Konami will be lost, and the product will be discontinued, we may even see the anime cancelled.

Now this may be good news for UFS, as some of those YGO players won't want to quit playing CCGs and will come across this much cheaper, much more fun game with characters that they all know well having played Soul Cal IV and now Street Fighter IV.

Of course this may be bad news for UFS, as some of those YGO players won't want to quit playing CCGs and will come across this much cheaper, much more fun game with characters that they all now well having played Soul Cal IV and now Street Fighter IV.

I say this is both good and bad news as the players who'll come to UFS will most likely be high level competitive YGO players, who for the most part are douchebags (quite confident in saying that as well).

Can you post a link to verify all this i heard too but I want to print this out for my store owner exactly what the details are for yugioh the OP and distribution in america.

Well duh there's no more organised play for Yugioh anymore in the US... from Upper Deck Entertainment.

That doesn't mean Konami has no plans for OP in the US, lol.

Everyone's jumping to this same conclusion...

its very mixed news i hate to say. As much as i hate ygo in all its forms and im glad to see it die, its really gonna hurt local game stores badly. REALLY BADLY.

Tagrineth said:

Well duh there's no more organised play for Yugioh anymore in the US... from Upper Deck Entertainment.

Do you think I can't read? Of course I know it's just Upperdeck's organised play that's been cancelled.

What I'm saying (predicting btw, not concluding) is that YGO won't survive the transition, especially in this time of recession.

You came off sounding awfully full of yourself there Tag.

Yugisuck won't die, unfortunately. I'll counter that prediction with my own that YGO will survive and continue to have those players.

This would be a GREAT time for me to jettison my entire YGO collection. Seriously.

I've been talking about doing it for ages. Just never got the gumption to get the Ebay work done. This sounds like good motivation - do it now before it becomes worthless. It's like I'm being prepped for the stock market.

As a note - I don't care whether YGO dies, one way or the other. I just want to get rid of my YGO crap, because I don't play it anymore. I'm sure someone would cough up $350 for my collection, and be glad they're getting it all so cheap.

Sigh.

Cascade said:

Tagrineth said:

Do you think I can't read? Of course I know it's just Upperdeck's organised play that's been cancelled.

What I'm saying (predicting btw, not concluding) is that YGO won't survive the transition, especially in this time of recession.

I've seen this exact same thing posted on at least a half dozen message boards, all revolving aroud everyone saying "OH NO MORE OP AT ALL FOR YUGIOH!?" - that sentiment is in this thread too. It sounded that way from the OP, too, since there is barely any mention of there even being a chance at Konami taking the game back.

The only precedent to date for a game changing hands in this kind of way successfully is Pokemon, which nearly died under WOTC's direction and is thriving in Nintendo's own hands. Now, granted Pokemon turned over without these kind of legal issues, but WOTC posted a similar press release to UDE's - "No more OP for Pokemon in North America!" which quite blatantly wasn't true in a general sense, only specific to that company.

How did that first post come off as full of myself, anyway? I don't see how you're coming to that conclusion.

Look for Kuriboh Collectibles on eBay, he has a ton of Yugioh stuff and would possibly buy yours.

Tagrineth said:

That would be because US support from Konami has been lackluster in the past, to the point of absolute ridicule. They couldn't even see the market for music rhythm games in the US, to the point where it took Harmonix making Guitar Hero to wake them up! Not only that, but they do not have the OP structure implanted, and it will take a while for them to properly do so, and that's provided they actually care at this point.

Tagrineth said:

Cascade said:

Tagrineth said:

I've seen this exact same thing posted on at least a half dozen message boards, all revolving aroud everyone saying "OH NO MORE OP AT ALL FOR YUGIOH!?" - that sentiment is in this thread too. It sounded that way from the OP, too, since there is barely any mention of there even being a chance at Konami taking the game back.

The only precedent to date for a game changing hands in this kind of way successfully is Pokemon, which nearly died under WOTC's direction and is thriving in Nintendo's own hands. Now, granted Pokemon turned over without these kind of legal issues, but WOTC posted a similar press release to UDE's - "No more OP for Pokemon in North America!" which quite blatantly wasn't true in a general sense, only specific to that company.

How did that first post come off as full of myself, anyway? I don't see how you're coming to that conclusion.

Allow me to break it down for you. Here's your post (with input):

Well duh (never a good start) there's no more organised play for Yugioh anymore in the US... from Upper Deck Entertainment. (I believe I already covered the point about being able to read, so the use of bolding implies imprecision on my part)

That doesn't mean Konami has no plans for OP in the US, lol (use of this internet meme infers you aren't taking what's being said seriously, and let's not forget the fact that is does stand for 'laughing out loud' which in the context you used it in points to laughing AT someone).

Everyone's jumping to the same conclusion... (Anyone using this phrase is saying that they are not coming to that 'conclusion' and are therefore somehow better/smarter/etc than those that are)

So there you go. Those are the problems I have with your post. All in all, I found it rude. Feel free to respond saying whether this was or wasn't the case, it doesn't matter either way, it's what it came across as.

Ok me personally I DON'T WANT THAT MANY YUGI PLAYERS INTO THIS GAME some yes, the honorable ones,fo sho, but the goons HELL TO THA NO cause if they come out and start to play this game then it after a matter of time will get to the whole "I have to bring my friends to come watch my back or else I have to fight or get robbed. I have personally seen people get robbed at Yugioh tournaments ( all of the N.Y.C players know what i,m talking about yall know that little store known as Neutral Ground) and I don't want this to happen to this game cause once the goons find out the value of certain cards then people will hear this phrase uttered to them when they are surrounded by a bunch of dudes "you know what this is". Now I know that we need more people but them hell no cause I don't wanna bring out people and things over a card game if that is the case then I would quit UFS in a heartbeat.

And another thing ok don't get me wrong I know a whole lot of Yugi players that are respectible and cool ass hell and would be a breath of fresh air to this game that we all play and love but tha goon squad yea aight how many of us former Yugi players heard of people getting robbed at Yugi big tournaments (Shonen Jump,World Championships,Regionals) out at the parking lot ? answer a lot and my question to all UFS players do you want this for our game?

would not suprise me to much if konami hired a 3rd party to do the OP for them, but all the same its still going to hurt because the transition will be felt by stores and playerbase.

Homme Chapeau said:

Tagrineth said:

That would be because US support from Konami has been lackluster in the past, to the point of absolute ridicule. They couldn't even see the market for music rhythm games in the US, to the point where it took Harmonix making Guitar Hero to wake them up! Not only that, but they do not have the OP structure implanted, and it will take a while for them to properly do so, and that's provided they actually care at this point.

And yet, keep in mind Harmonix released Frequency and Amplitude prior to guitar hero, that didn't require an expensive peripheral to play, and neither of those did all that well in the US Market.

And Cascade, did you just call lol a meme...?

Protoaddict said:

would not suprise me to much if konami hired a 3rd party to do the OP for them, but all the same its still going to hurt because the transition will be felt by stores and playerbase.

I just talked to my local shop that I run UFS for. They didn't even bother to take part in Yu-Gi-Oh OP. They don't even expect to be impacted by this. Especially since they finally got the new Yu-Gi-Oh set in.

i don't think many UFS players would get mugged if yugioh players joined the game, simply because UFS doesn't have that many expensive cards. in yugioh, $30+ cards are fairly common to see, and in UFS, there's only Spike and BRT that come close imo.

as for their attitude... well, maybe after finding out there isn't much $$ to be made in UFS (outside of getting your own champ cards), they'll probably go to some other game, or relax a little after being around veteren UFS players... i dunno, i'm happy about this because i used to play yugioh at my venue and i know some yugioh players who i'd be happy to have in my group.

speaking to the owner of Kings Games last night, he's got a huge shipment of ygo just in, the latest set, and lots of leftover hobby league stuff, plenty to last for a while.

the only thing he's concerned about now seems to be how much support (and how soon) konami will offer in regards to large shows like the jumps. for now ygo's floating along fine there (along with magic, and the new obsession 'Epic' that he and his partners created).

GouHadou said:

speaking to the owner of Kings Games last night, he's got a huge shipment of ygo just in, the latest set, and lots of leftover hobby league stuff, plenty to last for a while.

the only thing he's concerned about now seems to be how much support (and how soon) konami will offer in regards to large shows like the jumps. for now ygo's floating along fine there (along with magic, and the new obsession 'Epic' that he and his partners created).

My guess is UDE sent over the leftover stuff to wash their hands of it. When it runs out, Konami's gonna have a whole lot to do, and not a lot of time to do it in. I'm expecting, if they're serious about this, an announcement in the coming weeks.

GouHadou said:

How long do you think all the prize support would last if you had to give a rough guess ?

Sweet. I now have someone who's moderately interested in all my YGO crap.

Bye, Grandmasters. We had some good times.

time to recruit player lol

Son of Scubadude said:

WHOA when did I have a kid lol ....

Scubadude said:

Son of Scubadude said:

WHOA when did I have a kid lol ....

out of wedlock as well.

Internet genetics say he's yours though.