GM Resources: A Galaxy Full of Beasts

By cyril2, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

There was a surprising lack of beasts in the Beta book, despite the fact that they have made appearances in every single Star Wars film, from the colo claw fish in Episode I to the Wampas in Episode V and the arena beasts in Episode II. So I have been putting together some beast stat blocks in my spare time. Without further ado:

Wampa [Henchman]

jK5-_bc3pHQt4peIzxLPLlel3oVMcysOcVoBGDhN
Carnivorous predators native to the ice planet of Hoth in the Outer Rim, the Wampa is a savage beast that will attack anything they come across. They have adapted to survive in the harsh weather of their native planet and are consummate hunters. Luckily for their prey, they are usually solitary hunters, but have been known to travel in packs to take down larger gamer.

Brawn 5 Cunning 1
Presence 1 Agility 2
Intellect 1 Willpower 1

Skills : Brawl 2, Perception 2, Stealth 2, Survival 2
Talents : Adversary 1, Feral Strength 2
Abilities : Cold Adaptation (When making skill checks, Wampa may remove two setback dicd imposed due to cold environmental conditions), Camouflage (When in snowy environments, Wampa receive two boost dice to Stealth checks)
Soak/Defense: 5/0
Threshold : Wound: 30
Silhouette : 2
Equipment : Claw and teeth (Brawl; Damage 8; Critical 3; Range [Engaged]; Pierce 1)

Tauntaun [Henchman]

7uM9qcAl0twMeY2UIWXRlEzHDNMP_GQ6_Fim2vgA
Omnivorous reptomammals native to the planet of Hoth, Tauntauns were used as pack animals and patrol mounts for the Rebel Alliance as they were adapting their vehicles for the cold weather on Hoth after setting up Echo Base. They are a common prey animal for the Wampa, something which worked against the Rebels from time to time. They possessed numerous evolutionary adaptations which helped them to survive in the cold weather of their homeworld.

Brawn 3 Cunning 1
Presence 1 Agility 3
Intellect 1 Willpower 1
Skills:
Athletics 1, Resilience 1, Survival 2
Talents : None
Abilities : Cold Resistance (When making skill checks, Tauntauns may remove two setback dice imposed due to cold environmental conditions)
Soak/Defense: 3/0
Thresholds : Wound: 10
Equipment : Powerful kicking legs and teeth (Brawl; Damage 4; Critical 4; Range [Engaged]; Disorient 3)

Acklay [Henchman]

G4HA85oCJm808nF0MJ96qOGOmk3xPHr69xXQyCy8
Native to Vendaxa, the Acklay is a ferocious carnivore that while aquatic by nature is also able to operate on land, and often did to hunt prey. They had tough leathery skin and sharp teeth, as well as six sharp claws on the ends of their legs to help take down prey. They were also immune to the effects of radiation. Acklay were common sights in gladiatorial arenas around the galaxy.

Brawn 4 Cunning 1
Presence 1 Agility 3
Intellect 1 Willpower 1

Skills : Athletics 1, Brawl 2, Coordination 1, Perception 1, Survival 2
Talents : Adversary 1, Feral Strength 3, Knockdown (may spend Triumph to knock an opponent hit by a successful melee attack prone), Lethal Blows 1
Abilities : Radiation Immunity (Acklay are completely immune to the effects of radiation)
Soak/Defense: 5/1
Thresholds : Wound: 35
Silhouette : 1
Equipment : Piercing claws and sharp teeth (Brawl; Damage 8; Critical 3; Range [Engaged], Pierce 2)

Rancor [Henchman]

w8SIyiqefSZpxUVgIvLU7aANHK--DhikaAeTC_u3
Massive and terrifying, the Rancor is a natural engine of destruction, capable of destroying vast swathes of his surroundings if it so chooses. Even the most well equipped hunters and sportsmen think numerous times before tracking one of these beasts.

Brawn 8 Cunning 1
Presence 1 Agility 1
Intellect 1 Willpower 1

Skills : Brawl 4, Perception 2, Resilience 4, Survival 2
Talents : Durable 2, Feral Strength 3, Knockdown (can spend Triumph to knock a target rpone after a successful attack), Lethal Blows 2
Abilities : Quick Healing (At the end of its turn, the Rancor heals 1 wound.)
Soak/Defense: 12/1
Thresholds : Wound: 60
Equipment : Massive claws and teeth (Brawl; Damage 12; Critical 3; Range [Engaged]; Concussive 1, Pierce 2)

Gundark [Henchman]

SLRzeo3G-KE45vgDdZfBnWcAAvuditim3aXVpuEP
Bloodthirsty and short tempered the gundark is a dangerous and feared opponent known to attack without provocation. Like the Acklay, they were common sights in underground gladiatorial matches and other illegal blood sports where they were often favored to win against larger and more dangerous opponents. As if their natural strength wasn’t enough, the gundark also possessed a cunning that allowed them to use simple tools and weapons in combat. They are foes not to be taken lightly.

Brawn 5 Cunning 2
Presence 1 Agility 2
Intellect 1 Willpower 1

Skills : Brawl 3, Melee 1, Perception 1, Resilience 2, Survival 1
Talents : Adversary 1, Durable 2, Feral Strength 1, Frenzied Attack 2, Lethal Blows 1
Abilities : Strangle (Can spend Triumph on a successful Brawl attack to deal 2 strain plus 1 additional strain per advantage spent. Soak does not apply to this damage.)
Soak/Defense: 5/0
Equipment : Massive fists (Brawl; Damage 7; Critical 3; Range [Engaged]; Disorient 3, Sunder), improvised club (Melee; Damage 8; Critical 4; Range [Engaged]; Disorient 3).

Corellian Sand Panther [Henchmen]

n79PB9q0Zgqt_TtaHFfimDifDtOn9jEyu5bYn3_r
Feline desert hunters who are able to use their surroundings to hide, the Corellian Sand Panther is an incredibly skilled and quiet hunter and stalker. While they are technically a protected species, their hides are incredibly popular in garments and handbags and as such, poaching them can be a very successful and lucrative business. That is if the poacher can locate and slay the beast.

Brawn 3 Cunning 2
Presence 1 Agility 4
Intellect 1 Willpower 1

Skills : Athletics 1, Brawl 2, Cool 2, Coordination 1, Perception 2, Stealth 3, Survival 1
Talents : Expert Tracker 2, Outdoorsman 2, Quick Strike 2
Abilities : Camouflage (Add two boost dice to any Stealth checks made in a desert environment), Poison Claws (Can spend Triumph on a successful Brawl roll to inflict poison damage on it’s target. The target makes a Hard Resilience check. If the check fails, the target takes 5 wounds plus one strain per threat generated. The GM may spend Despair generated on the roll to have the poison stay in the target’s system and affect him again the next round.)
Soak/Defense : 3/1
Thresholds : Wound: 20
Equipment : Poisoned claws (Brawl; Damage 4; Critical 3; Range [Engaged]; Pierce 1)

Dragonsnake [Henchman]

WyPCGfDY74TsKbmZwOAR_fZhUZ9fMXJCn55OToY1
The deadliest predator on Dagobah, the dragonsnake is an incredibly quick, incredibly patient hunter, able to lie in wait for hours at a time, and then moving with lightning quickness when prey approaches close enough and are able to swallow most of their prey whole. They are somewhat slow and clumsy on land, but frighteningly quick in the water, and are able to glide unseen and unheard through the swamp waters of their homeworld. Luckily for those that run afoul of these creatures, they are solitary hunters.

Brawn 4 Cunning 1
Presence 1 Agility 2
Intellect 1 Willpower 1

Skills : Athletics 2, Brawl 2, Perception 1, Stealth 2
Talents : Feral Strength 1, Quick Strike 2
Abilities : Natural swimmer (Gains 1 free upgrade when making Athletics checks to swim)
Soak/Defense: 5/1
Equipment : Massive, tearing teeth (Brawl; Damage 6; Critical 3; Range [Engaged]; Ensnare, Pierce 1)

Kintan Strider [Henchman]

yiMc9nUdh-Frz-42W4lvMxBxnvjJd9fP7wr8Tgj3
Nearly extinct, the Kintan Strider can no longer be found on its homeworld. Commonly seen as guard beasts by Hutt crime lords or in underground fighting pits the Kintan Strider is a sight to behold. Massive shoulders and arms that almost touch the ground, the Kintan Strider has no neck, but instead has its face squarely in the middle of its chest. They are intelligent enough to utilize simple weapons. Combined with their ability to heal incredibly quickly, they are a dangerous foe indeed. Though most sentients have never seen one in person, they are familiar with its appearance from the game of dejarik, where it is a game piece.

Brawn 5 Cunning 1
Presence 1 Agility 2
Intellect 1 Willpower 1

Skills : Brawl 2, Melee 2, Resilience 3
Talents : Durable 2, Feral Strength 2, Frenzied Attack 1, Lethal Blows 1
Abilities : Fast healing (the Kintan Strider automatically heals one wound at the end of each round)
Soak/Defense : 6/0
Thresholds : Wound: 25
Equipment : Short, sharp claws (Brawl; Damage 8; Critical 4; Range [Engaged]; Pierce 1), tree branch (Melee; Damage 9; Critical 3; Range [Engaged]; Disorient 3)

Cool - nice work. Been thinking the same thin myself as I went to convert old aventures for my campaign. Surely a Rancor (and possibly an Acklay) should be Nemesis' rather than Henchmen though?

Kouhun [Minion]

EV1EJLlQdZO-b8_mucLukFeW_6GD2o-R8KAK9EOU
Tiny centipede like insects around 30 centimeters long, they are native to the jungle planet of Indourmodo. Small and swift moving, the kouhun also possesses an incredibly potent poison that mimics the effects of cardiac arrest in most sentient species, which makes them incredibly popular among assassins and other men and women of ill repute. In addition, they can be dyed to match their surroundings.

Brawn 1 Cunning 1
Presence 1 Agility 3
Intellect 1 Willpower 1

Skills (group only): Brawl, Coordination, Stealth
Talents : None
Abilities : Poison (A successful melee attack from a kouhun injects a poison into the target. The target makes a Hard Resilience check. Failure deals 5 wounds plus 1 strain per threat generated. Despair generated on this roll can be spent to cause the poison to remain in the target’s system, affecting him again next round.)
Soak/Defense: 3/0
Thresholds : Wound: 5
Silhouette : 0
Equipment : Poisoned fangs (Brawl, Damage 2; Critical 4; Range [Engaged]; Pierce 2)

Greater Krayt Dragon [Nemesis]

IXIxkjrf4rtWrQvb1to0Y2hehHeIhN4QFV_XirAS
At least 100 meters in length the Krayt Dragon is titanic desert creature that is the biggest of big game for most hunters for the pearls that form in their gullets. Able to submerge themselves in the sands of their desert homeworld, they are able to move underneath the dunes largely unseen. They are rarely seen living by the natives of Tatooine, but their bones dot the landscape and are highly valued as building materials.

Brawn 10 Cunning 1
Presence 1 Agility 1
Intellect 1 Willpower 1
Skills : Athletics 3, Brawl 3, Coerce 2, Resilience 4, Perception 2, Stealth 1, Survival 2
Talents : Adversary 2, Durable 2, Feral Strength 3, Intimidating 3, Knockdown (can spend Triumph to knock a target prone after a successful attack), Lethal Blows 2
Abilities : Camouflage (Add 2 Boost Dice to any Stealth checks made.), Devour (can spend Triumph to begin to devour a target after a successful attack. The target is ensnared and automatically takes damage at the beginning of the Krayt Dragon’s turn. A creature that is killed is completely devoured and digested.), Tremorsense (A Krayt Dragon is able to automatically sense the location of anything that is in contact with the ground within 30 meters)
Soak/Defense : 15/0
Thresholds : Wound: 60/Strain: 50
Silhouette : 4
Equipment : Massive claws, teeth, and smashing tail (Brawl; Damage 14; Critical 3; Range [Engaged]; Concussive, Disorient 3, Pierce 5)

Canyon Krayt Dragon [Henchman]

dAUp3hPARErIKaTVdyD5aEnoVVRjJEbAVWFow7ui
Slightly smaller than the greater krayt dragon, the canyon krayt dragon is still an incredibly dangerous foe, making its home in the rocky canyons and jagged mountains on the edge of the Jundland Wastes. Their stomachs contain the same “dragon pearls,” and thus they are hunted by those brave, skilled, or stupid enough to do so. The only thing the canyon krayt dragon fears is a greater krayt dragon, and they sometimes clash in titanic struggles when they stray too far into each other’s territory.

Brawn 9 Cunning 1
Presence 1 Agility 2
Intellect 1 Willpower 1

Skills : Athletics 2, Brawl 3, Coerce 2, Resilience 3, Perception 2, Survival 2
Talents : Adversary 2, Durable 2, Feral Strength 3, Intimidating 3, Knockdown (can spend Triumph to knock a target prone after a successful attack), Lethal Blows 2
Abilities : Devour (can spend Triumph to begin to devour a target after a successful attack. The target is ensnared and automatically takes damage at the beginning of the Krayt Dragon’s turn. A creature that is killed is completely devoured and digested.), Tremorsense (A Krayt Dragon is able to automatically sense the location of anything that is in contact with the ground within 30 meters)
Soak/Defense : 12/0
Thresholds : Wound: 55
Silhouette : 3
Equipment : Massive claws, teeth, and smashing tail (Brawl; Damage 13; Critical 3; Range [Engaged]; Concussive, Disorient 3, Pierce 3)

gribble said:

Cool - nice work. Been thinking the same thin myself as I went to convert old aventures for my campaign. Surely a Rancor (and possibly an Acklay) should be Nemesis' rather than Henchmen though?

Thanks. I had thought about it, but Henchman feels pretty good for the Acklay. I'd probably put a Tyrant or a Bull Rancor as a Nemesis, though they're frightening enough even as a Henchman.

Cyril said:

gribble said:

Thanks. I had thought about it, but Henchman feels pretty good for the Acklay. I'd probably put a Tyrant or a Bull Rancor as a Nemesis, though they're frightening enough even as a Henchman.

Anyway, If it's ok I'd like to stat up some beasts as well.

With the Devour quality, how much damage would a character automatically take while being Devoured? Brawn rating?

Beautiful work Cyril. I will be stealing a few for the Threat Detected How The Tusken Raider Stole Christmas module.

Garrett

So what happens when I post to an archived thread I wonder?

Anyway I am necroing this thread simply to say thanks for the awesome work, going to lift it for my game.

This is the thread I was looking for

Thanks, this is some cool stuff.

A late thanks from me too, needed some of this for the next evening.

I found a useful list if you want a good expansion http://swrpg.viluppo.net/adversaries/creatures/