Draft and other things to do while at Worlds

By Magnus Arcanis, in CoC General Discussion

Hey all!

For those of us attending worlds and not dabbling in one of the other championship tournaments but also made plans to be there the whole weekend… I was hoping to organize a little something during our “open gaming” time either on Friday or Sunday.

Namely, an old school draft! If enough people are interested I can pick up some packs from the old CCG days.

Also, I would like to open up the floor to anyone else who would like to half organize or suggest some fun things we can do in our open gaming time!

I'll be there the entire weekend (leaving Monday AM). I'm down for a draft, I'll also be bringing a bunch of decks even if we just free play Cthulhu. I wonder how feasible a 'warm-up' style tournament would be to do. I guess we will have to see what space is available. I know the AGOT crew is planning on running side touraments as well.

In my free time I was hoping that FFG would be running some demos from the new Merchant of Venus game. That might be fun to do if we can get a few people.

we're planning on doing a draft with old CCG packs in our playgroup one of these weeks. can you suggest any details on how it would work best in your opinion? my only experience drafting is with MtG.

- how many packs?
- how many cards would you shoot for for playable decks once the drafting portion is over? MtG used 40-card decks instead of the typical 60-card decks you'd use outside of the draft format. they would also let you grab free lands (resources) from a shared box to fill your deck out. i realize this isn't quite how CoC works mechanically. but since MtG made those changes to accommodate the format, it obviously means the normal rules didn't quite work for it.

piszcadz said:

we're planning on doing a draft with old CCG packs in our playgroup one of these weeks. can you suggest any details on how it would work best in your opinion? my only experience drafting is with MtG.

- how many packs?
- how many cards would you shoot for for playable decks once the drafting portion is over? MtG used 40-card decks instead of the typical 60-card decks you'd use outside of the draft format. they would also let you grab free lands (resources) from a shared box to fill your deck out. i realize this isn't quite how CoC works mechanically. but since MtG made those changes to accommodate the format, it obviously means the normal rules didn't quite work for it.

Kind of up to the players I guess. 5 packs = 30 card deck, 6 packs = 40 card deck…. I think thats how we used to do it.

Typically our group back then went for 40 card decks if my memory serves correctly. It's been so long (2008) since I've last drafted a deck.

Anyone else here in Roseville and want to play this afternoon?