Character creation - Question about obligations?

By Ceodryn, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

Hi All,

I have just acquired the beta book on Ebay and reading through it.

In regards to character creation, I have one question about the following sentence on p30: […] Table2-3: Additional Obligation Bonus. There are two limitations to this: each option can only be selected once, and player characters cannot gain more additional Obligation than their original starting value.

When referring to " each option ", does it refers to Character Creation Bonus & Gear Bonus rows, or to +5 Obl &+10 Obl columns, or to both simultaneously?

For example of my misunderstanding, could my character buy:

• Character Creation Bonus +5 Obl & Gear Bonus +5 Obl? -> No if +5 Obl could only be bought once?
  • Character Creation Bonus +5 Obl & Character Creation Bonus +10 Obl? -> No if Character Creation Bonus could only be bought once?
  • Character Creation Bonus +5 Obl & Gear Bonus +10 Obl? -> Yes since each option would be selected only once?

Then, when referring to " their original starting value ", does it refers to table 2-2: Player Starting Obligation ?

• In a group of 4 PCs, with the starting obligation = 10 per PCs (per Week 8 update), each would only be able to select a +10 Obl once?
  • Or +5 twice (which links back to one of my example above)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers
Ceodryn

It was never clarified in the updates, so your guess is as good as ours. I agree this needs to be clarified, the wording is vague.

As Venthrac stated it is vague, however there is another rule that states that you cannot more than double your obligation with that method. For example a group of 5+ characters have 10 obligation each from the get go. As you cannot go beyond 20 obligation (double) you could not get both. This still doesnt answer getting 5 points worth of each, and the legality of that, but it will stop characters from trying to get 10 pts in both depending on your group size.

While it was never clarifed, I rule that "each option" refers to the rows - i.e.: you may take one additional starting credits option (for +5 or +10 obligation) and one additional starting XP option (for an additional +5 or +10 obligation).

That makes the most sense and seems to be the common ruling, from previous discussion.

Thanks Gribble, that's what I felt like too, but wanted to see what was the consensus among beta testers.

I have 3 players, so each could at most add a +15, say +5 Obl = +5 xp and +10 Obl = +2500 credits. It makes sense to me.

Cheers
Ceodryn

Ceodryn said:

Thanks Gribble, that's what I felt like too, but wanted to see what was the consensus among beta testers.

I have 3 players, so each could at most add a +15, say +5 Obl = +5 xp and +10 Obl = +2500 credits. It makes sense to me.

Cheers
Ceodryn

Sounds about right (or the numbers could be reversed to get +10XP and +1000 credits).