Outdoorsman Versus Swift (Survivalist talent tree)

By Sirkamina, in Talents and Specialization Trees

There are two talents that I see that seem almost redundant.

Outdoorsman: remove one (setback die) per rank of outdoorsman from checks made to move through difficult terrain or manage environmental effects. Decrease overland travel times by half

Swift: Do not suffer the usual penalties for moving through difficult terrain.

While outdoorsman covers a variety of things, it does remove setback dice from difficult terrain. Swift removes them alltogether. It seems like these overlap a little too much to want to put more than one rank in outdoorsman (for the overland travel thing). My character is exteremly athletic and these both appeal to me, I just find the similarity disturbing. Is there a clarification beyond this I am missing?

Sirkamina said:

There are two talents that I see that seem almost redundant.

Outdoorsman: remove one (setback die) per rank of outdoorsman from checks made to move through difficult terrain or manage environmental effects. Decrease overland travel times by half

Swift: Do not suffer the usual penalties for moving through difficult terrain.

While outdoorsman covers a variety of things, it does remove setback dice from difficult terrain. Swift removes them alltogether. It seems like these overlap a little too much to want to put more than one rank in outdoorsman (for the overland travel thing). My character is exteremly athletic and these both appeal to me, I just find the similarity disturbing. Is there a clarification beyond this I am missing?

Outdoorsman is for when rolling, like athletics or balance. Swift removes the difficult terrain penalty, which, per page 138, means that each range band costs twice as many maneuvers to move through.

So if you are required to roll, having outdoorsman will make that roll easier, but without swift, you still need to expend twice as many maneuvers to cross the distance. For swift, the "usual penalties" have nothing to do with setback dice.

-EF

That answers the question Nicely, Thanks