Disney Buy Lucasfilm

By Jamescuk, in General Discussion

I say bad… Like Star Wars: Clone Wars cartoon bad…

Not sure how I feel about an Episode 7 (since it's bound to ret-con away several very good post-RotJ novels, namely the Tim Zahn stuff), but given the way that Disney has allowed Pixar and Marvel to keep doing their own thing, with some great results, I'm not too worried about this merger.

If anything, maybe this means the Blu-Ray versions of the movies are the last instance of "creator meddling." Heck, maybe there's even hope (a new hope, maybe?) of getting the original seen-in-theaters versions on an updated media for those who really don't like the various changes (Han shooting first, Vader's Big No in RotJ, Anakin's Force Ghost, etc) that Lucas has made to the Original Trilogy.

Kallabecca said:

How much of the Clone Wars cartoon have you seen?

Donovan Morningfire said:

Not sure how I feel about an Episode 7 (since it's bound to ret-con away several very good post-RotJ novels, namely the Tim Zahn stuff), but given the way that Disney has allowed Pixar and Marvel to keep doing their own thing, with some great results, I'm not too worried about this merger.

If anything, maybe this means the Blu-Ray versions of the movies are the last instance of "creator meddling." Heck, maybe there's even hope (a new hope, maybe?) of getting the original seen-in-theaters versions on an updated media for those who really don't like the various changes (Han shooting first, Vader's Big No in RotJ, Anakin's Force Ghost, etc) that Lucas has made to the Original Trilogy.

That's already been retconned out. The Zahn books stated that the Clone Wars were about cloning Jedi and stuff, look how right that was?

There is a lot of the EU that has changed over the years. I remember reading Splinter of the MInd's Eye when it came out before ESB or RotJ were done. Luke was still longing for Leia, creepy now, but at the time the only info the author had was from the first movie (whose novelization he had also written). New movies can use or ignore any and all aspects of the EU at their leisure. Technically Boba Fett died in RotJ but in the EU wasn't he leading the new Mandalorians in the EU at some point or something? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the character very much, but with the release of the prequel trilogy and all that has followed, the mystique of the character has worn off. In the end I will be interested in seeing what is done, for good or bad, as I am a fan and as long as I enjoy what is done and am entertained that is all that matters to me.

As to the release of the original trilogy, the dvd release may be the last we see of it. From what I heard, just to do that, GL had to go to the laser disk releases just to get copies of the originals as he had adjusted his originals too much for them to be of use. It would be nice, though, to have a bluray set of them.

mouthymerc said:

There is a lot of the EU that has changed over the years. I remember reading Splinter of the MInd's Eye when it came out before ESB or RotJ were done. Luke was still longing for Leia, creepy now, but at the time the only info the author had was from the first movie (whose novelization he had also written). New movies can use or ignore any and all aspects of the EU at their leisure. Technically Boba Fett died in RotJ but in the EU wasn't he leading the new Mandalorians in the EU at some point or something? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the character very much, but with the release of the prequel trilogy and all that has followed, the mystique of the character has worn off. In the end I will be interested in seeing what is done, for good or bad, as I am a fan and as long as I enjoy what is done and am entertained that is all that matters to me.

As to the release of the original trilogy, the dvd release may be the last we see of it. From what I heard, just to do that, GL had to go to the laser disk releases just to get copies of the originals as he had adjusted his originals too much for them to be of use. It would be nice, though, to have a bluray set of them.

Fett escaped from the Sarlacc before it could digest him "over a thousand years" in one of the Dark Horse comic series. Hence his continuation in the EU. While Splinter of the Mind's Eye might seem creepy due to knowledge gained by the audience from RotJ, there is 4 years between the events of the first movie and the last where Luke doesn't know she's his sister. Remember the look on Luke's face after Leia gave him a nice, deep kiss in ESB? I do… even that is "creepy" given the information learned from ROTJ, but even when ESB came out we, the audience, still didn't know that detail and so lots of fans were cheering for Luke getting it on with Leia.

Kallabecca said:

Fett escaped from the Sarlacc before it could digest him "over a thousand years" in one of the Dark Horse comic series. Hence his continuation in the EU. While Splinter of the Mind's Eye might seem creepy due to knowledge gained by the audience from RotJ, there is 4 years between the events of the first movie and the last where Luke doesn't know she's his sister. Remember the look on Luke's face after Leia gave him a nice, deep kiss in ESB? I do… even that is "creepy" given the information learned from ROTJ, but even when ESB came out we, the audience, still didn't know that detail and so lots of fans were cheering for Luke getting it on with Leia.

Yes he escaped in the EU, which is my point. There is the core Star Wars canon and there is the EU. In the movie he was written to have died. He survived because of his popularity to live on in the EU. Usually it is the other way around where the movie strays from the source material (usually a book), but in this case it is the written work which has strayed from the movies.

The reason Foster was incorporating romance between Luke and Leia is because it wasn't even determined that they were brother and sister yet. And at the end of ESB, much of the speculation of who the "other" was centered on Leia. I remember sitting with friends and talking about this all night all the time and she was the most promising candidate. The romance between her and Luke was all but forgotten as she and Han heated up. Luke knew she was his sister by the end of ESB and audiences suspected very much so due to his contacting her through the Force.

I remember reading an article many years ago after the original trilogy came out. It spoke of how GL would like to do a prequel trilogy about the fall of Anakin Skywalker. It also spoke of how he'd like to do a follow-up trilogy about the characters after the original trilogy. Turns out that he may have only had plans for a prequel trilogy, but this news does give me hope that there will be more.

Kallabecca said:

Have you even watched the show ? It is fast and exciting and extremely well done.

Personally I am insterested to see what happens. However, the only thing that could really save the mess that is Star Wars in my mind (retcon the prequel trilogy out of existance, which is exactly what I am doing in the Star Wars game I am just about to start running) isn't going to happen, as GL is still involved as "creative consultant". Still could be fun films though…

The REAL question is: who are they gonna recast to play the rolls? gui%C3%B1o.gif

Locksathy said:

The REAL question is: who are they gonna recast to play the roles? gui%C3%B1o.gif

Hopefully nobody.

Much as I liked the JJ Abrams' Trek reboot, the Star Wars franchise doesn't need it.

If Luke or other Heroes of the OT are going to put in an appearance, let it be more as cameo or advisory roles to a new cast of heroes.

From a cinematic perspective, Luke's story was pretty much wrapped up in RotJ, and the task of rebuilding the Jedi Order is something that can easily be handled off-screen, and you can have Mark Hamill in to take up a Yoda-like position in this new trilogy, the wise mentor to a young Jedi hero. Though as Cyril suggested elsewhere, it'd be cool to have Grand Master Skywalker stroll onto the scene at some point in this trilogy to show the younger heroes how it's done gui%C3%B1o.gif gran_risa.gif

I would be more interested in what will happen with the licensing agreement to Fantasy Flight Games. It would be a pity if there are renegotiations for the licensing and even worse killing off the products already begun such as this and the miniatures game x wing.

Much as I liked the JJ Abrams' Trek reboot, the Star Wars franchise doesn't need it.

Technically, the Abrams film isn't a reboot. It is a separate timeline in its own universe.

Toqtamish said:

Kallabecca said:

Have you even watched the show ? It is fast and exciting and extremely well done.

Yes, I have watched the series… and I don't find it to be well done or exciting. As for being fast… well, it is a 20 minute cartoon.

Kallabecca said:

Technically, the Abrams film isn't a reboot. It is a separate timeline in its own universe.

Perhaps, but from a film standpoint, it's the new continuity, with the chances of Paramount going back to the "old timeline" bordering on the non-existent, and the franchise was pretty much dead in the wake of Enterprise and ST: Nemesis.

I'd still rather see a new crop/generation of original heroes than the Heroes of Yavin trotted out yet again to be the main characters.

Chris Brady said:

That's already been retconned out. The Zahn books stated that the Clone Wars were about cloning Jedi and stuff, look how right that was?

By the way Zahn's original take on the Clone Wars was far far more interesting then what we ended up getting. Tons of crazy force users would have made for some great story and entertaining action. Instead we got disposable people vs robots and everything is CGI to boot. Woopity doo.

Lord of Malice said:

Chris Brady said:

By the way Zahn's original take on the Clone Wars was far far more interesting then what we ended up getting. Tons of crazy force users would have made for some great story and entertaining action. Instead we got disposable people vs robots and everything is CGI to boot. Woopity doo.

I agree completely, BUT… Technological disadvantage. Lucas likely couldn't do hundreds of cloned Jedi on film with any sense of veracity and frankly finding skilled extras in 'Jedi style' sword play is pretty hard, I would think.

Chris Brady said:

Lord of Malice said:

Chris Brady said:

I agree completely, BUT… Technological disadvantage. Lucas likely couldn't do hundreds of cloned Jedi on film with any sense of veracity and frankly finding skilled extras in 'Jedi style' sword play is pretty hard, I would think.

Not really. One or two guys and a motion capture system and you've got Jedi galore. Same way he got the Clone troopers (and how WETA got those massive armies of orcs and humans for LOTR).

Kallabecca said:

Chris Brady said:

Lord of Malice said:

Chris Brady said:

Not really. One or two guys and a motion capture system and you've got Jedi galore. Same way he got the Clone troopers (and how WETA got those massive armies of orcs and humans for LOTR).

Fun Random Fact: In the Two Towers (I think) when both Rohan and the Orc army were programmed in, they were given video game AI programming. So when they (the AI) was let loose to have that massive fight, the first they did was turn tail and run AWAY from each other.

Chris Brady said:

Kallabecca said:

Chris Brady said:

Lord of Malice said:

Chris Brady said:

Fun Random Fact: In the Two Towers (I think) when both Rohan and the Orc army were programmed in, they were given video game AI programming. So when they (the AI) was let loose to have that massive fight, the first they did was turn tail and run AWAY from each other.

Yep, then they added the Fog of War to the AI. Each side could only see about 10% of the other side, so they both thought they had a clear advantage and charged into battle.