Glad to see this back

By Toqtamish, in Midnight Second Edition

I am lucky enough to own most of the books in actual print editions but this is an amazing setting. Think Lord of the Rings if Sauron had won the war of the ring. I strongly recommend it to anyone that does not currently have any of the books as the questions it forces your players to answer is very interesting. How does good survive in a world of evil ?

I've got to agree its good to see Midnight officially supported again, although as far as I was aware its always been on Drivethru.

I'm looking forward to seeing if we now get a third edition of Midnight that moves away from the DnD 3.5 rules and onto something more along the lines of Dark Heresy or Fireborn.

Now that I think about it, come on FFG you've brought one game back from the beyond, how about Fireborn?

Surak

Happy to see this come back to the official website, we at www.againsttheshadow.org have never gave the setting up, sure the site isn't as active any more, but the love is still there.

The speculation has begun though!

I have all the products published in the Midnight line, and it was very difficult indeed to collect them all here in Europe, but I persisted because this is the fantasy world that managed to capture my imagination like no other.

I for one would prefer staying true to D&D origins of the setting - and I think it would be wise to convert it to Pathfinder, but I suspect that will not be the case. All the same, I'd love to see new Midnight products as soon as possible. :)

I'm really glad to see this campaign setting brought up in an official announcement.

To me, this setting is the only reason I'll play 3.5, but I'd love to see a shift away from that ruleset. Maybe not as far as the shift from WFRP 2nd to WFRP 3rd, but you get the idea.

Yes, very pleased to see signs of life for Midnight. I have all that was available in print. A big shout to against the shadow for keeping it alive though I mainly lurk over there.

Here's hoping some new stuff is forthcoming, ideally not WFRP3 style.

Well, I hope this is the premise for a Midnight relaunch. Two things I'd like to see in such a case:
- a new, devoted, rules-light system that still captures the setting's flavor;
- a ready-to-play long campaign or story arc, providing something that is "ready-to-play" for those (like me) who don't have time for prep or creating their own stories.

I so love this setting. Every time I get an inkling to play DnD or play in Middle Earth, I always wander back to this setting instead. With the Hobbit movies coming out, this is a good time to get this back on the market.

I echo the fact that I'm glad to see this back on the site. It's an outstanding setting. For me, it's also why I still play 3.5 because it is, by far, my favorite 3.5 setting made. I think what would be better than following WotC's Core rules, or even Pathfinder's rules, is if perhaps if you guys did what Pathfinder did, and overhauled the 3.5 Ruleset, but custom tailored for this setting. Pathfinder is a good ruleset for a generic high-magic world, and I think there are a lot of elements that could be ported over to Midnight, but I certainly don't feel that it's a suitable "drop in" replacement ruleset. There are many folks on the againsttheshadow.org forums that have uploaded their own house rules and creations. They might be a good place to start looking, if you guys don't already have loads of ideas already.

That said, I probably wouldn't be opposed to your own custom ruleset that doesn't even look like d20 if it were to better suit the world. Though I've never played it personally, I've heard marvelous things about the career system from the Warhammer RPG. Perhaps that could be adopted and used? (Just spit-balling ideas…)

Thanks again!

Of course, all this "speculation" above is just a group of loyal fans itching to see FFG do something with this IP. For all we know, this update to their website is just consolidating their marketing and trying to boost sales of the Midnight line without much extra effort…

However, I would certainly love to think otherwise and that it would be asinine to drop the Midnight IP with the 3.5 ruleset.

What I would pay for a re-hash of Midnight without d20, on the other hand…

Years and years of sedition among the People have finaly given fruit!

May the White Mother guard you all!

This is excellent news. As with others, i own all the printed midnight stuff, lurk at AtS…and would love to see some more attention for this setting.

Hear, hear!

That is really good news. I'm glad to see this setting being supported again.

But d&d 3.5 not 4? Or better an own rules set! Yes, this would suit it best!

Having it use a new game system would probably do more harm than good. I think using Pathfinder rules would do wonders for Midnight.

Tashiro said:

Having it use a new game system would probably do more harm than good. I think using Pathfinder rules would do wonders for Midnight.

Exactly, the pathfinder rules are OGL and would just be perfect for Midnight! Oh god I so want this!

Someone had already started a conversion here btw:

http://www.basementsanddrakes.com/midnight/?page_id=48

But an official support would be just perfect!

It would be nice to see Midnight reworked for Pathfinder or any other system.

Plus, FFG could add some extra value to the re-edited suplements such as more details on the Dorn houses, more rumors about the Darguul or the Elder Fey, more speculation on the gods, maps of places like Calador…

I'd love to see Midnight with a set of rules that aren't D&D or a derivative. IMO, D&D is pretty much the anti-Midnight. D&D supports tactical, almost boardgame combat, high magic and high power. Now looking at Midnight, there's magic there alright, but large parts of it aren't used by the PCs and they have to hide what they have. Combat… I've always felt that the typical Midnight combat should be over within two or three strikes or the PCs are almost certainly screwed. And as for power, running a Midnight campaign up to level 20, which D&D would fully support and shine in, is a little like having a movie about the french resistance in WW2, all cloak and dagger… and then plopping John Rambo into it, complete with minigun and stormtrooper marksmanship enemies to be mowed down by the dozens.

IMO, Midnight would definitely profit from a ruleset that supports

-deadly combat
-freeform character creation (it's not like anyone can afford to go without at least rudimentary stealth or bluffing skills)
-an expanded stealth and social system
-a lightweight magic system

I'm happy to see that Midnight has not completely disappeared from the world of gaming. I know that the fanbase is alive and well at

http://www.againsttheshadow.org/index.php?www

Does anyone know if there are any plans for the future of Midnight? If not that then does anyone know how to get ahold of the people/moderators on this site who might know the answers?

All the same, I'd love to see new FIFA 15 XBOX Coins Midnight products as soon as possible. :)