Questions about Fire for Effect, Reactions, and Special Orders

By Furuta, in Dust Warfare Rules Discussion

Tonight we played our 3rd game and we are loving the game so far. The following questions situations came up tonight and we could not find the answers.

1) When firing a Fire for Effect Special order are you required to have LOS to the 2 target units, or just the initial unit, or you don't need LOS?

2) When you use you command section's special order for example Fire for Effect or Blitzkrieg, does the command section that issued the order get a reaction token?

3) If you are reacting to an attack against a weapon that has an optional ability do you declare you are reacting before or after the person shooting declares he is using the weapon's special ability? for example I want to shoot a squad of BBQ boys that are out in the open with my Heavy Flak Grenadier. Do I have to declare that I am using the Burst special ability before he declares his Hit the Ground or do I just state that I am shooting him and he has to decide whether he is going to Hit the Ground before I choose to use the Burst?

Thanks for the help. I am really enjoying this game so far.

Furuta said:

1) When firing a Fire for Effect Special order are you required to have LOS to the 2 target units, or just the initial unit, or you don't need LOS?

Fire for Effect is a Command Phase artillery strike. Whichever Radioman's unit is calling in the strike needs LoS to the target unit. You then get to pick a second unit within 6" to affect.

Furuta said:

2) When you use you command section's special order for example Fire for Effect or Blitzkrieg, does the command section that issued the order get a reaction token?

No, not for issuing the order. If the command squad issues itself the Fire for Effect order then they would gain a reaction marker due to the radioman calling in the Long Tom strike.

Furuta said:

3) If you are reacting to an attack against a weapon that has an optional ability do you declare you are reacting before or after the person shooting declares he is using the weapon's special ability? for example I want to shoot a squad of BBQ boys that are out in the open with my Heavy Flak Grenadier. Do I have to declare that I am using the Burst special ability before he declares his Hit the Ground or do I just state that I am shooting him and he has to decide whether he is going to Hit the Ground before I choose to use the Burst?

I would say that the reaction should be declared at the time of the attack declaration, then the attacking player can decide what weapons or special abilities to use. When you make an attack you can choose what weapons to use, in the case of a multi weapon unit. My opponent does not get to wait and see if I throw grenades and shoot my rifles or just shoot my rifles, he only gets to know he is being shot at before he makes a choice to react.