Emperor's Tarot supplement

By Green Knight, in Dark Heresy

I've made a little supplement covering the Imperial (Emperor's) Tarot. I know there is some stuff out there already, but none of it covered my needs. So I made this. It owes a lot to RL tarots, but with a distinctly 40k twist to the cards. Haven't really tried to keep it in line with tarot 'canon', cuz that was just confusing. If there are discrepancies between my interpretation and some other interpretation I'm willing to blame that on a whole galaxy and 10k+ years worth of tarots…

The document is in pdf format. The formatting is sort of bland, but it does have a few pieces of original artwork (I was hoping to have all the major Arcana, but it stopped at 3 cards - maybe I can get some more made later).

http://www.twilightpeaks.net/blogs/media/blogs/DH/40K_TAROT%20v1.01.pdf?mtime=1351320181

40ktgodemperor.jpg

Very cool! aplauso.gif

There is a major update to the Emperor's Tarot supplement:

Download

tarot_cover.jpg?mtime=1381045620

Awesome, however, regarding the Major Arcana:

I'd use a neophite astartes instead of the pilgirm.

An imperial psyker instead of the astropath.

The astropath instead of the prophet.

The Holy Terra is AWESOME, much better then what I had.

Sanguinus for the Martyr.

If this is an inquisitorial deck, then the Exterminatus instead of the Reaper.

Rogue trader instead of the Imperium.

XV shouldn't be the daemon but the enemy: Heretics or Khaos Marines.

XVI should be the Daemon

And the Galaxy should be the Imperium, as the Galaxy is the birthright of Humanity.

Awesome, however, regarding the Major Arcana:

I'd use a neophite astartes instead of the pilgirm.

An imperial psyker instead of the astropath.

The astropath instead of the prophet.

The Holy Terra is AWESOME, much better then what I had.

Sanguinus for the Martyr.

If this is an inquisitorial deck, then the Exterminatus instead of the Reaper.

Rogue trader instead of the Imperium.

XV shouldn't be the daemon but the enemy: Heretics or Khaos Marines.

XVI should be the Daemon

And the Galaxy should be the Imperium, as the Galaxy is the birthright of Humanity.

Thanks for the feedback! Several good ideas in there. If ever there is a revised edition I'll give them due consideration.

Regarding the images they were done by another member (roddyhood30), so I just adopted his work.

I've saved the link. When I get a chance I'll go see if I can get them printed. Thank you for the usefull prop. My kid choosing a psyker character was really excited about the possibility of using cards in our first game of DH1. He's at the age where yugio cards are still the rage for him.

Excellent tool! This was very inspiring.

I'm working on a mechanic to use these instead of dice in a rules system that will focus much more on storytelling and less on math and combat. Preliminary plan looks something like this:

Each character has a minimalistic character profile. First one card that represents the character. Maybe another card to describe the facade they show outwards, and another for their true nature that is hidden even for themselves? And for each of the four suits there is a number that indicates the characters affinity with that suit. I imagine a scale from 1 to 5 or maybe slightly higher. These numbers will be a description of their personality. So an aggressive feral worlder would have high Excuteria, while an Arbitor would have high Mandatio and very low Discordia.

When an interesting challenge is encountered, the player names the suit that best represent the characters approach to the problem. So for example a application of violence could be Excuteria while pulling rank and threatening with the inquisition could be Mandatio. Then the player draws as many cards as the characters affinity for that suit. Any cards that match the chosen suit, or any cards from the major arcana will mean a form of success. Cards from the "opposing" suit (Madatio opposed to Discordia and Excuteria opposed to Adeptio, of course) means loss, or other costs associated with the resolution, and even failure if they are in majority. Then the Major arcana inspires the player(s) to explain how the scene plays out.

Maybe important NPCs or organisations can have indivudal cards that represent them so their involvement can be hinted at during play sessions.

I believe this could make for very interesting playsessions with a lot of interesting stories told.

I have the 1.30 version. While I find it awesome, I did find some errors if it will be updated. I haven't finished it all, but here are a few errors in what I did get though. The first Minor Arcana that is most often referred to as Eagles, is referred to as Chalices on page 11 in the first paragraph. The order of Discordia is different on page 12 than on page 14, The Xeno is moved and so displaces the Heretic & Mutant. Discordia 5 is referred to as The Rogue Psycher on Page 12, but The Witch/Warlock on Page 14. Excuteria 4 is referred to as The Commander on page 12, but as The Officer on page 15. Also in Excuteria the Navigator and Explorator are flip flopped between page 12 and page 15.

I read a bit more, but stopped when it the instruction seemed to be "learn how to do Tarot and throw the Emperor's Tarot the same way to make it look good" and "You're the GM, fix the result if you want." Good advice, but I've been role playing and into esoteric stuff (even though I'm an atheist) for so long that I didn't need it. Still what I did read had a few typos and some odd word choices that I think a real edit would have found. I'd be willing to give it a real edit since it's short and already very cool, but I can't modify the pdf.

I’d like to incorporate the Emperor’s Tarot into my DH game but I was wondering, what’s the availability and cost of it?

The actual copy of the Emperor's Tarot does not exist (seems like they are leaving money on the ground), but I did make one for myself using makeplayingcards.com & images that I found online. I think it turned out well & feels in line with the psychic nature that the deck is supposed to have.

That's awesome! Any chance you're selling them?