Aiming and damage.

By Gamerunner, in Game Mechanics

First is it a typo on the aiming, you gain 1 boost the first round of aiming then 2 setback on the second round of aiming? (or should it be 2 boosts the second round) The second paragraph seem to suggest different conditions.

And also if I'm trying to destroy a comlink, or pistol with my aimed shot, how much damage can specific items take before they are usless?

Gamerunner said:

First is it a typo on the aiming, you gain 1 boost the first round of aiming then 2 setback on the second round of aiming? (or should it be 2 boosts the second round) The second paragraph seem to suggest different conditions.

And also if I'm trying to destroy a comlink, or pistol with my aimed shot, how much damage can specific items take before they are usless?

Per the week 1 update, it is 2 boost dice, not setback dice. There are no set rules on targeting gear, but you can model it either from page 108, Weapon Maintance, or from the starship aiming rules on page 154.

-EF

You can Aim for 2 effects (pg. 130):

1. Get Boost dice to your attack (or 2 boost dice if you use 2 manuevers to aim).

or

2. "Target a specific item carried by the target, or a specific body part of the target." (Such as a comlink). You aim, and suffer 2 setback dice on your attack roll to do so. (or 1 setback die if you spend 2 manuevers to aim at the equipment).

According to the rules gleaned from the Sunder trait (pg. 108) and the weapons maintenance section (pg. 107), you could argue that a "hit" causes 1 step of damage to the item (Minor, then Moderate, then Major, then DESTROYED). Each step damage has it's own penalties for use and difficulties to repair (pg. 108).

Having said all that… there's a lot left up to the GM.

There's no WAY I'd let a COMLINK get three steps of damage. LOL… it's a comlink. :-) One hit - and it's gone.

You have to love that so much of the game is just options governed by GM fiat. It's maybe becoming an overused cliche, but I think this is a fine example "tools, not rules."

Venthrac said:

You have to love that so much of the game is just options governed by GM fiat. It's maybe becoming an overused cliche, but I think this is a fine example "tools, not rules."

+1 to this

Venthrac said:

+2

gui%C3%B1o.gif