Brace

By boehm2, in Talents and Specialization Trees

When do you guys use this talent? We havent seen any use of it yet … it says you can iqnore situational modifiers, cover is listed under environment - do you allow bracing to ignore cover? (In our group we dont) And as currently written the rules seem to only come into effect if a fight happen to take place in some place with strong winds etc AND where you have already spend 2 maneuvers aiming … Then …THEN you might consider using Brace … or am I just completely misunderstanding this (very practical?) talent?

Boehm said:

When do you guys use this talent? We havent seen any use of it yet … it says you can iqnore situational modifiers, cover is listed under environment - do you allow bracing to ignore cover? (In our group we dont) And as currently written the rules seem to only come into effect if a fight happen to take place in some place with strong winds etc AND where you have already spend 2 maneuvers aiming … Then …THEN you might consider using Brace … or am I just completely misunderstanding this (very practical?) talent?

Per the full description on pg90, cover would be ignored, since it falls under " other disruptive physical obstacles " to the skill check. Personally, I would consider brace to eliminate any setback dice added from any category on pages 136-139, Additional Combat Check Modifiers and Environmental Effects .

-EF

Also, Brace is ranked and only ever costs 1 maneuver, which takes away as many Setback dice as you have ranks in Brace. This skill check can be hacking, shooting past cover, preparing to leap from 1 speeder bike to the next 1, pulling the wool over someone's eyes, sneaking through gravel, shooting the grenade in the thug's hand, or even pushing your blade slowly past your opponent's shield (think Dune).

So if my Outlaw Tech/Scholar didn't seem like a badass beforehand, imagine him aiming spot-on at the hardcore Bounty Hunter who is hiding behind cover wearing a badass set of armor and a readied grenade in hand/or on his belt. BOOM. That dude is down, and so is anybody else adjacent to him, or even the support pillar that the BH used as cover, starting an epic "RUN!! It's all coming down!!" scene. And he only needs 1 maneuver to Aim at the grenade (2 Setback, +1 from cover, +1 from armor), negated by a 2nd maneuver (costs 2 Strain, but well worth it if he has 4 ranks in Brace), then an Attack action.