House Card Questions

By Mitspieler2, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game - A Dance with Dragons

Hej from Germany,

I just got me the Expansion and got a few questions regarding house cards.

1. Margaery Tyrell und Mance Rayder

"if you are defending […] your opponent´s final combat strenght is 2" und "your final combat strength is equal to the current Position of the Wildling Threat token". Does that mean, that even if my opponent attacks me with 4 Knights and a house card worth 4 points his combat strength is not 12 (8 for knights + 4 for the card) but a mere 2? Also, am I correct that playing Uncle Mance makes my own troops und support complety irrelevant as the Wildling Coin is the one and only thing that defines my power?

2. Rodrik the Reader

"[…] may search any Westeros deck for a card of your choice […]"

Does that mean I can chose one deck and search it or can I search through all the decks?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Regards,

Mitspieler

Hi Mitspieler,

1. Yes, you are right. Final means final. No support, no nothing.
2. I guess it means only one card in only one deck.

This hits the nail on the head.

Mance and Maergery leave me with the question: what happens if the Baratheons and Tyrells are fighting and they play both cards? Does Mance's final take effect, or does Maergery's?

need to check the Throne ranking.

which house in front, which house execute first and next house execute after.

as:

Tyrell after Baratheon, then Mance Rayder get the combat strength, then Margaery Tyrell make Baratheon force final Strength as 2 in this battle.

2. I guess it means only one card in only one deck.

search

Personally, I'd find it strange for the first to be the case because that would translate to a power of finding out everything that's coming in the next Westeros phase, since the 2 decks you're not going to make changes to will remain undisturbed after you've had a chance to see what cards they had at the top while you were "searching" them for the card you wanted.

need to check the Throne ranking.

which house in front, which house execute first and next house execute after.

as:

Tyrell after Baratheon, then Mance Rayder get the combat strength, then Margaery Tyrell make Baratheon force final Strength as 2 in this battle.

Edited by abm

That's a highly suspicious solution - it would mean that being higher on the Throne ranking puts you at a disadvantage in this situation.

Edited by abm

I agree with you abm; however, you can find this in the FFG FAQ:

Q: If House Greyjoy plays his “Victarion Greyjoy”
House card against House Baratheon’s “Sallador Saan”
House card, are the participating Greyjoy Ships still
reduced to 0 combat strength?
A: Yes
Which seems to contradict how we feel it should be played, as if the Baratheon player was higher on the Iron Throne his card would take effect first, lowering the ships to 0, then Greyjoy's card would raise them back to 1. Thoughts?

First of all, there are times when it is advantageous to be lower on the Iron Thone track, and some card effects like Mance vs Marg is one of them. Another benefit can be having last strike in a turn, which is sometimes more important than first strike.

As for Victarion vs Saan FAQ ruling, it makes sense. Victarion and Saan aren't exactly conflicting in the same way Mance vs Marg do, the latter speak directly on final combat strength. Victarion would give your ships a boost (+2 "instead of" regular 1) whereas Saan just completely negates all non-baratheon ships to 0 strength when that happens. Victarion doesn't say "ships are plus 1, instead of zero."

In any case, FAQ rulings are to be followed for any particular case like this one.

I agree with you abm; however, you can find this in the FFG FAQ:

Q: If House Greyjoy plays his “Victarion Greyjoy”
House card against House Baratheon’s “Sallador Saan”
House card, are the participating Greyjoy Ships still
reduced to 0 combat strength?
A: Yes
Which seems to contradict how we feel it should be played, as if the Baratheon player was higher on the Iron Throne his card would take effect first, lowering the ships to 0, then Greyjoy's card would raise them back to 1. Thoughts?

Greetings from Siberia. Оne question!

Please tell us in detail about the card Melisandre!?

After the battle Melisandre!
I will only return one card?
Tu for which I paid?
Or two cards, and Melisandre for which paid !?
In sum, two cards?

After the battle Melisandre!

I will only return one card?

Tu for which I paid?

Or two cards, and Melisandre for which paid !?

In sum, two cards?

Hello, is there anyone?

Please tell us in detail about the card Melisandre!?

No, you may only return one card.

The word "including" means you may choose to return Melisandre INSTEAD OF, not IN ADDITION TO, another card.

Edited by kauai1964
Sorry.

And the creators of the game can not answer?

Sorry.
We have here a very long argument about the possibility of this card!
And personally (completely personal) I do not understand the logic.
Why playing Melisandre Melisandre return?
1 . Sword she not.
2. Power is low.
3. Expenditure resources.
???

Простите.
Мы здесь очень долго спорили о возможности этой карты!
И лично (целиком личная) мне не понятна логика.
ЗАЧЕМ Мелисандру играя, Мелисандру возвращать?
1. Меча у неё нет.
2. Сила низкая.
3. Трата ресурсов.
???
Edited by Ra8

An example:

Stannis Baratheon (4), Jon Snow (3), and Bastard of Nightsong (2) are in your Discard Pile.

You only have two Power.

You play your highest card (because you want to win), which is Melisandre.

You discard two Power to get her back.

Later that turn, you get 4 Power from your Consolidate Power Orders.

Next turn, you can use her to get Stannis back.

Well yes.

This is perhaps the the only option that can benefit from this card.

Thank you so much

What are you talking about? Yes, you wouldn't normally choose to return Melisandre itself. But otherwise you can get back an important card, particularly your 4 card (but perhaps some other card needed for the sword/fort icons or text ability), which is powerful as you bypass the need to cycle all your cards first. 4 card is a steep price for Stannis but it can be worth paying it, Mance is the best to return as you get him back for free but he can be quite powerful in combat due to the text ability.

what happens if th  e Baratheons and Tyrells are fighting and they play both cards?

Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher

Edited by blackiyto

Why do you keep copying and pasting from previous posts?