Hits, Crits and Shilds

By DaTremor, in X-Wing Rules Questions

If you score 2 hits and 1 crit against, for example, an X-Wing with 2 shilds.

Is there a specific order ro resolve the hits? Can the attacker choose that the 2 normal hits take out the shilds and the crit hits the hull?

Thanks alot!

This came up earlier abd the answer was that the "normal" hits are resolved first (taking out the sgields in this case) and then the critical hit. Somebody had a reference then, but I don't remember exactly where it was. Hopefully someone will repost it here.

Compare Results Page 12

"All (normal hits) results must be
canceled before any (critical hits) results may be canceled."

() = rule book uses dice icons, just replaced with words since they didn't copy/paste over.

Your quote takes about how to cancel hit results with evade results. It doesn't address how damage is applied, although I think the principle that "if you can get hit by anything, you're getting hit by crits" is probably true.

I think page 16 is really what you're looking for. It talks about suffering damage. "The ship must suffer all normal damage before suffering critical damage." Additionally, it outlines how shields absorb damage first and then the hull takes damage.

radiskull said:

Your quote takes about how to cancel hit results with evade results. It doesn't address how damage is applied, although I think the principle that "if you can get hit by anything, you're getting hit by crits" is probably true.

Application of damage is dealt with on pages 13 and 16. It is, indeed, normal hits applied (or negated by shields) first, and then criticals.

Jim

Perfect, thank you.

radiskull said:

Perfect, thank you.

No problem! It does kinda suck that dealing damage is spread over three different sections. happy.gif

Jim

Like I said upon first getting this game (and asking some dumb questions on this forum) just a few weeks ago - it would help to have some redundancy in the rulebook. Rules are not always found where you would expect them, and important points are relegated to sidebars and footnotes at times.

magadizer said:

Like I said upon first getting this game (and asking some dumb questions on this forum) just a few weeks ago - it would help to have some redundancy in the rulebook. Rules are not always found where you would expect them, and important points are relegated to sidebars and footnotes at times.

It also needs an index. The rules aren't that long so a comprehensive index could be less than a page and would prevent needless confusion.

An index would be nice. In fact, after the much needed FAQ, and after (I would say) the release of Wave 2, which will introduce more rules and variations with the new secondary weapons and new actions, they should release a second edition rulebook in PDF form on their website, which could be comprehensive and include (when necessary) rewrites of existing rules, as well as incorporate things like the rule for Ion cannons, etc. all in one place.

Solved by the FAQ :-)

Q: If a player has multiple effects that resolve at the same time, he can resolve them in any order?

A: Yes

DaTremor said:

Q: If a player has multiple effects that resolve at the same time, he can resolve them in any order?

This was already solved… pg 16 has instructions which specify damage order.

But does this answer the question of R2-D2 versus obstacle overlap damage?

magadizer said:

I don't think it does as it's still unclear which order the damage/repair happens in (or if it happen simultaneously, in which case this would apply). Unless I missed something in my read-through of the FAQ.

dbmeboy said:

DaTremor said:

This was already solved… pg 16 has instructions which specify damage order.

Right. And I don't think damage counts as multiple effects; it's one effect, no matter how much damage is involved.

magadizer said:

There is no need. It is obvious from the rules that obstacle damage happens during movement, while R2's shield regeneration happens when movement is completed. So, damage comes before regeneration. The effects don't resolve at the same time, so the FAQ does not apply.

dvang said:

magadizer said:

There is no need. It is obvious from the rules that obstacle damage happens during movement, while R2's shield regeneration happens when movement is completed. So, damage comes before regeneration. The effects don't resolve at the same time, so the FAQ does not apply.

I know I hijacked this thread to bring that up, but there was another whole thread debating this issue, so I don't think it's obvious. Your interpretation is logical, if for example your maneuver template is the thing crossing the asteroid. But what about when it's just the ship landing at the end of the movement? the collision with the obstacle occurs at the end of the movement, as does Artoo's effect. Plus, again, the game rules are an abstraction, so I think that a design intent ruling would be helpful just to put to rest any potential debate. In my home when we play, we will probably just agree on the interpretation that Artoo's effect takes precedence.

If I may be so bold mags, it seems to me that since we now have an official FAQ and they've had time to consider these issues you might actually be able to get a clear and specific response on that issue via email. Just submit a rules question and see what you get back. If nothing else it'll be nice to know if they're responding with more than just the blanket statement now. I think they figured the FAQ probably solved that issue, though it's clear it would be nice to have a more direct answer which is exact to that scenario. In which case I think you might find that you can get a response. Just a thought.

OK I submitted it. If I get an answer I'll share it. It wasn't really my question originally, so I'm sure others want to know the answer.

dbmeboy said:

magadizer said:

I don't think it does as it's still unclear which order the damage/repair happens in (or if it happen simultaneously, in which case this would apply). Unless I missed something in my read-through of the FAQ.

Here is the text involved.

Moving Into and Through Obstacles

1. Execute the maneuver as normal, but skip the
“Perform Action” step.
2. The player rolls one attack die. The ship then
suffers any damage or critical damage rolled
(see “Suffering Damage” on page 16).

R2-D2

After executing a green maneuver,you may recover 1 shield (up to your shield value).

Both the damage and repair happen after executing the maneuver. When moving through an obstacle, the ship executes the maneuver "as normal" and after that is accomplished, rolls a die. R2-D2 gets triggered after executing a green maneuver. There is no ambiguity here at all. The text is plain. Because both the damage and the regen happen after the maneuver, the regen can be done before the damage which will in effect cancel it out.

There is nothing ambiguous. You are creating doubt where there is none.

dvang said:

magadizer said:

You obviously haven't read the rules.

ShadowJak, that was my original interpretation when I asked if the question should be resolved based on the FAQ response. I agree that it should settle it, but I submitted the question anyways to make it even more clear.

magadizer said:

ShadowJak, that was my original interpretation when I asked if the question should be resolved based on the FAQ response. I agree that it should settle it, but I submitted the question anyways to make it even more clear.

Taking asteroid damage doesn't happen until after the maneuver is executed as normal except for skipping the perform action step. R2-D2 also triggers at the same time. The person controlling the ship decides the order of the events.

They're probably just going to copy and paste the wording from the faq into whatever email they send you.