The Art of Waaagh!

By Johann Rowlocks, in WFRP Gamemasters

Just wanted to report that the adventure contained in Hero's Call is a hell of a lot of fun! Although the layout once again leaves alot to be desired, it is really a classic, and offers something that GMs really need to make something fun - STAKES! Holding an Orc-seiged castle full of the families the PC's have herded to it while a political battle threatens to tear apart the command structure. And then there is the big reveal, that remeinded me of that old horror film where the cop tells the frightened baby-sitter to hang up the phone and flee because "He is in the house".

When I read it, I was not convinced that it would be nearly as fun as it had been, and I found it wierdly over written in some parts (GMs will probably want to drop the goblin with the unneeded fourth "palantir"), while underdeveloped in others… But all and all, as long as you can juggle all of the motivations of the various dramatis personae, pound for pound I feel it is one of the best delivered thus far.

I provided an adventure that satified the Battle lust of the shield breaker and the oppurtunity for the Priest of Ranald to assume the identity of the corrupted Steward of the Schusselschloss. Also, while I do love pyrrhic victories - it is nice to occasionally let the PCs win and be Heroes outright. Just don't make a habit of it, and take it all away later!

Highly recommended.

Thank you for your mini review! :)

Do you think it would be feasible to play with 2nd edition rules? Would I need 3rd career tier PCs?

Edited by GRAAK