Flavor Text

By mathiasrapp, in Relic

I could be wrong, as I've only seen Gencon 2012/Preview pictures of this game, but it seems to me that the cards don't really have any Flavor text.

This seems like such a waste, considering the wealth of stories and descriptions of just about everything in the universe. There are too many FF products that lack atmosphere because of the lack of flavor text.

Starcraft was a good example of this, the cards would just say "gain 1 unit" etc. when there could have been a little bit of flavor from the story, or just some generic "Trade negotiations with planet blah blah..they send you an armoured company etc."

Flavor text isn't the end of the world, but I just feels that too you put so much effort into the art and the visuals, but don't quite finish the vibe off. Even if GW don't allow for exact quotes, I'm sure you could just come up with similar, or inspired new material, and it could be quite generic. It just needs that extra bit of detail to really complete the game!

I really like most FF games, and am happy to support the company by buying loads more, just really want to know why the flavor text gets glossed over in these rich inspired games.

Though I do enjoy reading flavour text, I think there are probably practical reasons for not using it, such as when the game gets translated into other languages. Quicker turnaround and less prone to errors.

As I say though, when Talisman moved from 2nd to 3rd Edition and they removed any flavour text from the Enemy cards, it did seem like it had been dumbed down somewhat.

Either way though, you have great art and a huge universe of flavour with W40K, so I am sure your mind will be creating the stories for you as you go along in your quest!

I do think it will be a darn shame if no flavor text is included. After all this is basically a 'mod' of another game. (granted with changes but its clear what it is based on) - the least they can do is optimalize the fluffy veneer pulled over it. After all that's one of the main reasons i'm going to be getting this game.