Free-Traders and Freebooters' Catalogue [a work in progress]

By Jegergryte, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

Question: The decksweeper and some of the rifles have an odd mechanic of hitting everyone infront of them - could this be better represented through the Blast quality perhaps?

EDIT: I mean, I assume that the blast quality is also intended to represent the shotgun effect?

Jegergryte said:

Question: The decksweeper and some of the rifles have an odd mechanic of hitting everyone infront of them - could this be better represented through the Blast quality perhaps?

EDIT: I mean, I assume that the blast quality is also intended to represent the shotgun effect?

I think that would be the simplest and most elegant solution. Possibly a "Decksweeper" attachment for blaster rifles? Adds blast quality, 1 hardpoint, Reduces range down 1 band. Just a thought.

Yes. At least 1 range band - minimum short. There is already the spread barrel attachment though which serves pretty good for that. The only issue then is how to interpret +2 blast… does that mean Blast 2 or something else, like half damage +2? I mean, for a rifle with damage 9 (I believe) - 2 is pretty crap as a Blast quality penetrates only the weakest of soaks, but a 6 or 7 (depending on rounding up or down) is more akin to what I'd imagine, perhaps a tad high, but a minimum of 5 should apply I think.

So, template-idea. I can't really get it out of my head.

First off my idea is to have certain manufacturers provide access to certain attachments at reduced prices - this of course only goes for the 1 attachment, for example a 30 or 40% discount if paid when buying the weapon. This increases rarity by 1 at least - sometimes making them gain R too. Furthermore I think that for a price the weapons can also gain qualities, like for example the prototype template could gain a mix of both the superior and inferior qualities. For instance if netting only advantages, add one, if netting only threats, add one. So its better when its better, and worse when its worse. Damage can remain the same, or increased by one, or crit can be modified. Although the crit mod should be limited.

What do you think Samo? Supply me with more meat and ideas please lengua.gif

Reducing the price for attachments would be good for certain manufacturers, representing their primary design focus, while some manufacturers should just modify pricing while adding a quality or two. I know there was at least one manufacturer in the Star Wars galaxy that produced low quality weapons, these would obviously have the inferior quality, but be half the listed price.

As to the prototype.. having both the inferior and superior seems a little strange. As the prototype means limited numbers, I'd increase the rarity by 2 or 3, add 500 credits to the price as well as making it restricted as a draw back - to represent this showing up on the black market. As for advantage, increase (or decrease in the case of crit rating or encumbrance) any one statistic of the weapon by 50%. So a weapon could be roughly half the weight, have incredible damage, or have more hardpoints, etc.

As I typed this, a couple more thoughts just came into my head about template companies, perhaps they could simply be a bonus when modifying a weapon attachment along their design focus. For example, certain companies could add more modification options to certain mods. Increasing the damage on a spread barrel from 0-2 to 0-3. Not a huge increase, but it gives a enough variety to want a specific manufacturer, without adding too much to the base weapon.

Also, a "Known Manufacturer" Quality could be added to the weapon and modification, what this does is when you add a mod from the same company, you get an increased effect - similar to how weapon sets work in many computer/video game RPG's. So if you have a Weapon with the Known Manufacturer Czerka, and a mod with the Same Known Manufacturer (Such as the under barrel flame projector) the mod takes ONE less HP. I'd keep the rarity increase you mentioned though, just to represent trying to find a particular brand. This could help create a "brand loyalty" for a character, as they'll want to find attachments that are extra compatible. The advantage to this method is that it doesn't overshadow any existing weapon or mod, and not necessarily available right away. Give a character something to work for.

Nice suggestions! I'll put this into the supplement as times goes on - deadlines and stuff coming up so mid-December is when I can get proper time for this it seems. Hm. Perhaps I'll get my hands on a few fluff-book till then.

Right. Now I only need a list of the most common manufacturers (and a few rare ones too of course) and some idea of who has what trademark traits. I hope wookiepedia can help me out here, and the old SE templates. Hohum. I now wish I had some technology and weapons books for Star Wars.

Right, I have moved in a different direction.

As a more general rule I have thought up this, which is slightly more «narrative»: when buying weapons normally, you could randomly decide what make it is (a Dx roll on a list of manufacturers or GM decides randomly). If a certain make is sought, or required, increase rarity at least by 1 and add at least 10% to the cost. Make does not in any way change the base stats of the weapon - unless a triumph is rolled on the negotiate, which can grant the advanced template (see below).

As a general rule, when buying an attachment from a known manufacturer, i.e. from the same manufactuer that made your weapon, increase rarity by 1-2, cost by 10-20%, but reduce HP requirement by 1.

Furthermore, at GM's discretion, one modification option can be increased, or a drawback that come swith the basic modification can be removed. This should further increase rarity and price by at least 1 and 10% respectively: this could - should perhaps - also replace the HP reduction above.

The only exception to this rule, would be the advanced and prototype templates.
The prototype template: Multiply price by 5 or add 1,000 credits (whichever is higher). Double or add 5 to rarity (whichever is higher); this can of course further change the price. Two characteristics of the weapon, armour or gear can be changed favourably, or a new quality can be added (except the superior weapon quality). This weapon also produces 1 advantage automatically, unless netting more threats, at which point 1 more threat is produced - due to the unstable nature of prototype weaponry and gear.
The advanced template: Double price or add 1,000 (whichever is lower). Double or add 5 to rarity (whichever is lower); this can of course further change the price. One characteristic of the weapon, armour or gear can be changed favouably, or a new quality can be added (except the superior weapon quality).

The prototype template changes can increase or decrease one characteristics up to 50%, the other 25%.
The advanced template changes can increase or decrease one characteristics up to 50%.
Limitations: Range can only be increased one band for ranged weapons, melee weapons cannot increase its range. Critical cannot be decreased lower than 1. Always round reduced values up, increased values round down.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Right, I've been updating my rpg blog/website - which you can find a link to in my signature.

I will be posting further updates on the catalogue and the up-coming Known Threats document on that site from now on. Already some work has been posted.

Find my site here.