Because This Isn't a Video Game…

By venkelos, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

Sound like the kind of guys who loot the bodies of the people they kill.

ErikB said:

Sound like the kind of guys who loot the bodies of the people they kill.

They definitely could be! Or maybe they won't be. The only way to know is to play and find out!

As for looting, I think that is definitely a group dynamic issue. Talk to your players and see what kind of game they want. Remember this is a roleplaying game, and your players will come up with awesome ideas even the most seasoned GMs can't predict.

Even if you never put a blaster rifle-wielding adversary in their path, there is nothing to stop them from thinking, hmmm maybe we should go try to steal some from the planet where these rifles are made. And this is awesome because now you have a great adventure the PCs are already invested in.

Scarcity creates desire which creates plans. The PCs are low on money/guns/food/etc. they will want more and they will make a plan to get more. Thank you PCs for planning an adventure for me.

There's also a point to make about how characters don't necessarily need to loot every corpse that is found in the movies, and fits the character tones presented in the book.

I present the case of Han Vs. Greedo

About to make good on a big sum of credits, Han is detained by Greedo. As they talk, Han pulls of a slight of hand, to free his blaster, and shoots Greedo in cold blood. He proceeds to throw some credits down, says "sorry about the mess" Note, that this character living on the fringe, never stops to go through Greedo's vest, nor does he take his gun.

The reason is because it's a lot cooler to do the above. Also, story wise, Han has a big contract that could eliminate all his obligation. Han has everything he needs. A decent blaster, a **** cool ship, and a wookie life partner. He's set, except for his debt, which is why he's taking a big job. This is what the GM has to do, make it more beneficial to the players to follow the story, rather than nickel and dime every single item.

That being said, it is very much an issue to discuss with the GM (or players) about the style of game. A pseudo-post-apocalyptic game, it is certainly necessary and acceptable to take everything you can possibly have a use for. But, a campaign closer to the feel of the movies, it's not needed.

That Blasted Samophlange said:

and a wookie life partner.

I know it's probably not what you meant, but I got a huge chuckle out of this line.

I have many ideas about this subject.

As a GM i must regonise that if I send a threat at my PC's with a gooby bit of kit I must be OK with the pcs using it. At the same time I can get hacked off with the loot everything mentality but I find often that after the players have got the gear they want the looting reflex dose did down especaly in a non D&D game when there is aqulantive diffrence betwheen a +1 & +5 amulet of natural armour not so much in EDE where blaster pistols are mostly the same.

As a player for example in the game I played in on Thursday I started with a Hold out blaster and 3 bits of kit with 13 credits to my name so no upgrades for me or some armour in the game we picked upo a disrutpor rifle 3 or 4 blaster pistols and a carbine I have a blaster pistoal and a carbine. I think that I am happy with the level of loot I have picked up and unless it is something that I know is worth a loot of money and investment in time to sell it I will probably not do much looting

Moglwi said:

As a GM i must regonise that if I send a threat at my PC's with a gooby bit of kit I must be OK with the pcs using it. At the same time I can get hacked off with the loot everything mentality but I find often that after the players have got the gear they want the looting reflex dose did down especaly in a non D&D game when there is aqulantive diffrence betwheen a +1 & +5 amulet of natural armour not so much in EDE where blaster pistols are mostly the same.

As a player for example in the game I played in on Thursday I started with a Hold out blaster and 3 bits of kit with 13 credits to my name so no upgrades for me or some armour in the game we picked upo a disrutpor rifle 3 or 4 blaster pistols and a carbine I have a blaster pistoal and a carbine. I think that I am happy with the level of loot I have picked up and unless it is something that I know is worth a loot of money and investment in time to sell it I will probably not do much looting

You could always break out an old West End Games books for the legality codes for gear/weapon/etc. Quite simply, npcs give you a hard time if it's illegal to own it. Sure that doesn't necessary solve the looting of everything, but it discourages pc from taking stuff they're not supposed to.

SirUrza said:

You could always break out an old West End Games books for the legality codes for gear/weapon/etc. Quite simply, npcs give you a hard time if it's illegal to own it. Sure that doesn't necessary solve the looting of everything, but it discourages pc from taking stuff they're not supposed to.

Or you could refer to Saga for the "availability" of items: anything Restricted is going to turn heads, and anything with a Military availability is normally illegal for civilian use under the Empire.

awayputurwpn said:

SirUrza said:

Or you could refer to Saga for the "availability" of items: anything Restricted is going to turn heads, and anything with a Military availability is normally illegal for civilian use under the Empire.

Or go with the Rarity table from Edge of the Empire. gui%C3%B1o.gif

"There are no railings in Star Wars."

Except on those deadly 3 feet drops. Those certainly need saftey railings. Someone might go near those, see. BIg bottomless pit? Its saftey railing is the fact it is a big bottomless pit.

ps. I hate this forum code…

3WhiteFox3 said:

Moglwi said:

I agree here, if the players are comfortable with what they have, they will often understand that looting and being rich isn't apart of Star Wars and not loot. Looters are generally from D&D and D&D-esque RPGs, or don't trust the GM (though the 2 often collide), the best way to stop it is to get the players to trust you. Remember, if your players don't like starving on the edge there are other ways to play obligation up and bring tension in, not every group is the same.

Honestly I think that the issue takes care of itself.

The character I play is a cleptomaniac, mostly because I have never gotten to play anything like this and I thought it would be fun. This character has stolen and looted a fairly large amount of items, however they have all be obvious things like the blasters the opponents were using, or a car. But in most of these cases the equipment was then immediatly used. In the case of the blasters they were distributed to the group who were recently disarmed and the car was used in a high speed chase and then subsequently jumped out of during the ensuing fight so that I could brawl with the other vehicles inhabitants(the droid has very little regaurd for self preservation, and an amazing athletics check).

Outside of my character, looting has been primarily kept to upgrades due to insufficient funds. The group will get better weapons and amor from fallen corpses as they could not afford very good ones, but i have yet to see anyone "search through a body for anything valuable" I have however seen someone "search through a body to find information on who he is working for"

Because a blaster is just a blaster, and carrying around 13 of them is cumbersome and suspicious, the game just doenst have that problem unless an object is particulary shiny or obviously valuable. Besides, being rich doesn't mean anything if the currency isnt accepted on a hutt world, or by the republic and vica versa