Monday: Paladin Tech and Game Battle report

By ShadowJak, in X-Wing Battle Reports

This time it was me vs. AngryMojo, Imperial vs. Imperial

AngryMojo's List:

The 6 Named TIEs. Determination on Howrunner and Swarm Tactics on Mauler Mithel for an even 100pts

ShadowJak's List:

Total Squad Points: 100

"Backstabber"
"Howlrunner" w/ Determination
"Mauler Mithel"
Academy Pilot 1
Academy Pilot 2
Academy Pilot 3
Academy Pilot 4

What I was going for with this build was maximizing the number of attack dice I could potentially roll (or reroll) in a turn.

We each split up our forces into 2 groups on each side of the group of asteroids in the middle of the field. I got a few good rolls around the 3rd round after we both K-turned (long range shots with Academy Pilots) and was able to take out a couple of his TIEs early which greatly increased my numbers advantage. By the end I had destroyed 4 of his ships and he only managed to deal a total of 2 damage to my side so he conceded.

Some things I learned from this game in no particular order:

1. Having an advantage in number of ships is important in Imp vs. Imp

2. Howrunner's ability didn't come up as much as it seems it should. I noobed it up and forgot to use the ability once and then moved him the wrong way, but even considering that, it is hard to keep him close enough most of the time. AngryMojo didn't seem to use the ability that many times either for similar reasons. Maybe we just need more practice with tight ship movement.

3. Backstabber and Mauler Mithel are champs. When user properly, they are like Interceptors but cheaper to deploy.

4. Academy Pilots are just fine most of the time. Yes, they usually attack last, but no one targets them so it doesn't matter unless they are the only ships left in range.

5. I need to get faster at selecting my moves and actions. 13 ships on the field is a lot each turn.

Next time I play, I know how I'm going to tweak my team. It'll be good.

Thanks for sharing what you learned. I wish I could get Mauler Mithel to work. I've fielded him in 3 games but have only ever managed one shot at Range 1. Obviously I need to work on my maneuvering.

Parakitor said:

Thanks for sharing what you learned. I wish I could get Mauler Mithel to work. I've fielded him in 3 games but have only ever managed one shot at Range 1. Obviously I need to work on my maneuvering.

Yeah, it seems to be easier to get Backstabber's ability to work but Mithel is still really good. I'd take Backstabber over Mithel if there are going to be a lot of ships on the field because there will usually be someone facing away from him and his ability works at any range.

My experience is that Mauler gets shots, and Backstabber tends to waste half the battle trying to get out of every one elses arcs.

Whether Mauler makes those shots is a whole different question.

Stabber's handlers, at least around my parts, always try to flank him around the back and he doesn't get involved til the end of the furball.

Howlrunner is a her. gran_risa.gif

MerryVulture said:

My experience is that Mauler gets shots, and Backstabber tends to waste half the battle trying to get out of every one elses arcs.

Stabber's handlers, at least around my parts, always try to flank him around the back and he doesn't get involved til the end of the furball.

try having backstabber hang around the back of your squad, then use him to dissuade your opponents from doing U-turns after the initial fly-by. ie. 1st turn reverse 4, 2nd turn forward 2, 3rd turn reverse 3, then now backstabber should be in position to catch anyone who tries to do a U-turn, although granted he now has a stress token.

if you prefer a less passive usage of him, try putting him at the leftmost or rightmost position of your initial setup, then have him swing in to the middle of the firefight with a right 3, from that angle he should be able to catch at least 1 person who is not facing him.

MerryVulture said:

Yep. I tried to be slick the last time I played and went with a pincer attempt with both pilots on opposite ends of my formation. Once in position, Mauler was summarily executed by Luke, and Backstabber got in one or two shots and then got ion cannoned into oblivion.

Mauler works really well with Vader(surprise) with me. Lots of last second barrel rolls.

qwertyuiop said:

MerryVulture said:

Yep. I tried to be slick the last time I played and went with a pincer attempt with both pilots on opposite ends of my formation. Once in position, Mauler was summarily executed by Luke, and Backstabber got in one or two shots and then got ion cannoned into oblivion.

Mauler works really well with Vader(surprise) with me. Lots of last second barrel rolls.

I assume you mean Vader + Swarm Tactics. I'm almost incapable of playing an Imperial team without that combo. Of course, I also only have 3 TIE fighters, so swarming is still a far-off dream.