Limit of 1 console per player

By Mejis, in Android: Netrunner Rules Questions

Hi, just wishing to clarify something regarding the 1 console per player rule. I understand that once installed it is fixed and can't be trashed and changed, but does this rule mean you can't have more than one in your deck at the start of a game? I know that you may not want to do that anyway, but just wanted to check.

In your deck you may have as many as you like (3 copies each) and with the toolbox I'd do so.

Thanks, yeah would need to buy two more sets for that, or steal some from some friends! ;)

You could also trade one of your extra consoles for one of your friends if you plan on playing different runner factions. But as already pointed out you can have up to 3 copies of any card, being unique or limited to one in play has no effect on deck building.

It still strikes me as strange that you can't swap consoles even over multiple turns.

What kind of future is it where you can't buy a new computer? :-)

(Devil's Advocate - Maybe it's trying to simulate runners who have grown attached to a lucky console or something along those lines.)

Perhaps it has tactical reasons so that you have to decide on one console in advance? Or there might be cards planned allowing for a swap. Perhaps it initially was only meant to eliminate the possibility of having multiple consoles at the same time and they just didn't think of the fact that you are stuck with one console with no means to CHANGE to another, which would mean that we are going to see some card that lets you change consoles.

By the way, you may actually swap consoles using Aesop's Pawnshop (although for a price).

They could have chosen to add a rule that you can trash your current console to install a new one, just like with ICE, assets, upgrades and programs. They chose not to in the FAQ.