Any Arkham NIghts Decks to post?

By grant_babb, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

I am totally going next year, but I wasn't sure if CoC got much play with Arkham Horror on the table? Seems like the best time to play the game and really get into the Mythos.

Any themed decks, any new tricks before World Championships?

Grant

Arkham Horror is the main drive to attend the event, of course. It being the most popular lovecraft title that FFG produces.

But CoC gets a fair shake every year, and it seems to be steadily growing judging by attending every event since it started.

As far as themes, and new tricks… not much to say. Scott Weber came in 2nd using his mi-go deck, and another player came in first using some deck I didnt get to play against that FFG Josh built. Something about Chthonians and such.

I really need to play Arkham Horror sometime. I did the booth demo last year at Gencon (which is WAY too brief to really count), and I've shown up with a game already a couple hours along a couple of times but I didn't feel comfortable jumping in without knowing the rules.

I'd be interested to see a good Mi-Go deck. I tried putting one together a while back but it just seemed to take too long to build up enough momentum. ie - by the time you had enough Mi-Go that the bonuses were getting good you were probably in a bad position. It did OK against some decks, but there were a lot of deck it didn't fare well again too.

Anyway, I wish I lived close enough to attend, sound like fun.

Off topic, but I never really understood the interest in Arkham Horror - yes, it's thematic, but underneath the theme, it's basically Clue of Cthulhu (Mansions of Madness even more so - if it doesn't have a Lead Pipe and a Candlestick, it really should). I actually like Elder Sign a bit better, even though, yeah, it's just Yahtzee-sothoth. Both are more or less rehashed classic boardgames with a whole lot of complexity piled on top, but at least Elder Sign is fast.

On topic, I also am curious as to composition of winning decks - very interested what the dominant metagame at the moment is.

One of the Arkham Nights decks was posted on CardGameDB the other day:

http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3559-arkham-nights-2012-decklist/

I don't know whether this really shows what the metagame is doing that much as it's more of a for-fun event, but there you go.

About Arkham Horror: I want to play it because I haven't played it yet and the theme is attractive (obviously). Maybe I won't like it, but I won't know until I give it a shot. As a fan of the mythos I feel it's worth giving it a try.

I've got the iPhone version of Elder Sign and I like that, but I can't imagine playing it face to face where it will take much longer and I'm not in control of all the characters. On the phone it's a perfect fit, a light and somewhat random game that plays quickly and easily.