Captain James T Kirk vs Captain Han Solo

By Lightbringer, in Rogue Trader

Xathess Wolfe said:

I belive that quote belongs to Lightbringer, not to me, but I agree with Lightbringer whole heartedly.

Thank you, user 80554 (at this time). Please direct your angst at quotation glitch at FFG, since they're the ones that have these crazy, inaccessible quotation system.

Again, though, thanks for the positive comment.

Kage

Star Trek is for dorks, whereas Star Wars owns. This has been proven by science.

Han Solo it is.

Action_Carl said:

Star Trek is for dorks, whereas Star Wars owns. This has been proven by science.

You're wrong. Star Trek is cool. Star Wars is cooler. Battlestar Galactica (remix) comes close to beating them. Firefly owns the ball...

Action_Carl said:

Han Solo it is.

**** straigh, and he DEFINATELY fired first. Curse you George Lucas... enfadado.gif

Luddite said:

Action_Carl said:

You're wrong. Star Trek is cool. Star Wars is cooler. Battlestar Galactica (remix) comes close to beating them. Firefly owns the ball...

Action_Carl said:

Han Solo it is.

**** straigh, and he DEFINATELY fired first. Curse you George Lucas... enfadado.gif

Farscape rules!

Lightbringer said:

So what do you guys think the style of Rogue Trader is going to be?

either:-

1. The Star Trek model

The players are the bridge crew of a vast and powerful vessel, kilometres long and with a crew of tens of thousands. Each player is a member of the senior command crew in charge of legions of independent soldiers/seers/priests. Play revolves around the responsibilities and moral quandries that arise from the bearing of an Imperial Charter into uncharted space, and dealing intelligently with aliens, lost civilisations and renegades.

You know, I was thinking the other day about the opening monologue from Star Trek in relation to Rogue Trader and I think I came with a way to rework it that would be appropriate for Rogue Trader.

Space... The final frontier...
These are the voyages of the Rogue Trader Enterprise.
Its continuing mission:
To exploit strange new worlds...
To seek out new life; new civilizations...and exploit or annihilate them.
To boldly go where no one has gone before...and make a profit.

NiallNai said:

cool.gif

Space... The final frontier...
These are the voyages of the Rogue Trader Enterprise.
Its continuing mission:
To exploit strange new worlds...
To seek out new life; new civilizations...and exploit or annihilate them.
To boldly go where no one has gone before...and make a profit.

One thing remains the same, the quest to score mad alien booty.

l_d96525c58b44a9abdb0cbd0ec07ad362.jpg

"You can sing for my wraithbone and day, baby". cool.gif

Re the discusion on whether 40K rogue trader ships are big or small in canonical books, I remember a 40k book by Barrington Bailey whose title evades me (it might be Eye of Terror) where one of the main characters was a rogue trader. His ship was small enough to land on a planet and had precisely 2 crew members: the RT and his navigator.It had a warp engine and Gellar fields. In fact one of the plot points was that he was stuck in one system looking for a new navigator because his last one went nuts from being too close to the eye of terror. The rest of the novel was good on canonical data (Dark angels hunt the fallen, Lion'El Jonson is in supended animation in a secret chamber in the Rock, Daemonettes are weird looking but sexy, the Emperor is one powerful Pysker, Don't muck about with Chaos artifacts if you want to live in the Imperium, Callidus assassins are deadly but sexy). You would think that a small ship would be better in some cases, as the less souls on board the less notice you would get from the Warp gribbleys. They would be more attracted to giant cities in space like Imperial Battleships.

So I dont see any reason why you couldn't have a Han Solo type in a rust bucket, Han Solo putting the Rogue in Trader more than Captain Kirk of the Mars Class Battlecruiser Enterprise. ( The empire wouldn't like Kirk, his first officer is obviously Eldar).

Without going to far off topic, I'd to throw in my couple of thrones and recommend a beautiful size comparison of oh, so many ships of the genre we keep coming back too.

I would hope more like Mirror Universe Kirk than Kirk.................(which I enjoy more than normal trek, some of the few decent eps in Enterprise)

In an ideal world it should cover smaller covert spies - sorry I meant small trading operations, large ships and huge flotillas of ships................

but if we can't do both - prefer to have the large scale, fleet management stuff rather than small scale things..............

take a tanker. I can have very few crew and still be large and be feasible from the economical side.