Newbie Questions

By gladius, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

I have two questions:

1) In 'Into the Storm,' the Soverign Venture is represented as costing 31 SP, far less than the Tyrant class cruiser it is based on. The Erata v1.3 corrected this, but to 70 SP. I've tried, but can't build it for less than eighty SP. Is my math wrong?

2) Is it possible to salvage and reuse ships or components captured from Chaos? Can Chaos warships be clensed, resanctified, and put back into honorable, holy service? Or is destruction the only option?

Thanks

gladius said:

1) In 'Into the Storm,' the Soverign Venture is represented as costing 31 SP, far less than the Tyrant class cruiser it is based on. The Erata v1.3 corrected this, but to 70 SP. I've tried, but can't build it for less than eighty SP. Is my math wrong?

2) Is it possible to salvage and reuse ships or components captured from Chaos? Can Chaos warships be clensed, resanctified, and put back into honorable, holy service? Or is destruction the only option?

Thanks

1) I can't really explain that. I do believe a few of the other ship packages have the same problem, but I always foresaw it as them getting discounts on a ship that is pre-made for them. 10sp is a big difference though.

2) It's a Houserule. There are no explicit rules, fluff or otherwise, stating you can't do this. Actually, come to think on it, I do believe a Space Marine Cruiser or Battleship was rescued this way. The ship was under the influence of Chaos, Imperial Space Marines boarded it, took it over, and converted it into an Imperium vessel for their Chapter. Now of course, this is Space Marines we are talking about, not a RT. I stipulated to my group when they captured a Chaos Raider, that it would take several years to a decade to consecrate it, and that is if they could convince an Ecclesiarchy group that it is worth it, who in turn would have to convince the Imperial Navy to redact the classification of the vessel from "Chaos tainted, shoot on sight" to something else. So, IMHO, it can be done, but only if the ship is worth it. Of course, having it "cleansed" by questionable Ecclesiarchy factions who don't report it to the proper authorities, and then using the vessel for pirate duties is always an option too. Though I would think it would gain several bad past Histories, with no good traits. Like Haunted with -10 (or -15) Morale, no bonus to detection, and possible a -5 to your defence against boarding/hit run actions, and then Turbulent Past with Imperial Navy, Inquisition, and other Ecclesiarchy factions, all with a -30 Social test and shoot on sight. Just an idea.

Your welcome, though I didn't help much. gran_risa.gif Best of luck to you and your players.

Thanks for the response. The shipbuilding rules frustrate me a little … my Luna-class cruiser cost me 71 SP (Thank the Imperator for flexible Warrants), and still has huge amounts of space and power left … I just can't afford the components! But I've got a nice array of Sunsear Las Broadsides, Lethe Grav Culverins and an archaotech staravar laser battery … I'm sure I can acquire the necisary resources quickly enough :D

I think the Sovereign Venture's hull is a modified version of what the players can take, so it's cost is a little different.

In nomine Imperatoris!

Actually, my question is not about rules. I have red about a ship component in the books that I can't find anymore (curse those blind grenades for my bad eye sigh :P ). The component is a kind of temple, that can be droped from orbit to start converting the heathens right away. And can't remember the name of of it either (must have taken too many hits to the head). Can someone in the good name of the Emperor help me?

May the Emperor watch over you!

Check Hostile Acquisitions.

Larkin said:

Called Auto Temple, I believe.

Larkin said:

Nameless2all said:

Larkin said:

Called Auto Temple, I believe.

Thanks guys! I skipped that book , didn't thouhgt I would find something like that with the tools of crime. gran_risa.gif

You have my ethernal gratitude (maybe a bith longer)

Are there existing rules for adapting Xeno weapons for Imperial ships? Highly heretical, of course, but for the Trader or pirate willing to take the risk …

Battlefleet Kronos has rules for using Eldar lasers etc, but no word as to their SP or Space ratings.

gladius said:

Are there existing rules for adapting Xeno weapons for Imperial ships? Highly heretical, of course, but for the Trader or pirate willing to take the risk …

Battlefleet Kronos has rules for using Eldar lasers etc, but no word as to their SP or Space ratings.

Are you talking about taking a weapons/components from a Xeno ship and installing it onto your ship? If so, then no, not really. Other than the existing components that are listed in various books, most other components would probably be hard to acquire (unless it's Orky tech, but then it's a matter of safety). For all intents and purposes, it is up to the GM. I've been lucky enough that my PC's have had to leave the few valuable husked Xeno ships floating in space, with no time to remove the components they wanted. IMHO, most components of this nature would require someone who is familiar with it, to safely remove it from said ship and successfully install it in your ship. This could take weeks, to months depending on how big/complicated the component is and who is on the job. You hired a Heritech to install that Eldar Lance, well (after secretly rolling), let's just say it took three times as long as projected, and now the Lance doesn't work. demonio.gif It was quite possible those Stryxis traders you raided could of probably installed the device. To bad you pried it from their cold dead hands. gran_risa.gif Man, if I ever play instead of GMing I'm so gona raid me some Stryxis traders, now that I think about it. They have such cool gear.

My players did that, once. Wound up with a literal shipful of various artifacts, gewgaws and relics. Unfortunately there was such a huge collection of it that it meant they couldn't get an accurate list of what they had. Whenever the mood struck me I'd have a rating give them an updated list of things that had been found and/or discarded, such as a poor-quality bolter with unlimited ammunition (Magazine had been welded into the gun, "In the name of IDKFA" scratched along the barrel), a cryo-stasis tube emblazoned menacingly with the symbol of the Inquisition, and The Winzlow. Then of course the general piles of garbage; half-eaten stellar pearls, necklaces of Eldar ears, et cetera. Needless to say, the garbage far outnumbered the treasures.

Errant said:

My players did that, once. Wound up with a literal shipful of various artifacts, gewgaws and relics. Unfortunately there was such a huge collection of it that it meant they couldn't get an accurate list of what they had. Whenever the mood struck me I'd have a rating give them an updated list of things that had been found and/or discarded, such as a poor-quality bolter with unlimited ammunition (Magazine had been welded into the gun, "In the name of IDKFA" scratched along the barrel), a cryo-stasis tube emblazoned menacingly with the symbol of the Inquisition, and The Winzlow. Then of course the general piles of garbage; half-eaten stellar pearls, necklaces of Eldar ears, et cetera. Needless to say, the garbage far outnumbered the treasures.

partido_risa.gif You're right!!!! They do have allot of junk! Totally forgot they are pack rats. I'm so gona add Ork teeth to it, boots that have slime and goo in them, bent spoons (because there is no spoon :) , and plastic grocery bags. Because what pack rat doesn't have plastic grocery bags laying around with junk in them? Love your ideas Errant. Appreciate the enlightenment. gran_risa.gif

Okay, REALLY dumb question: during character creation, you chose your carreer path. That includes a list of skills. Do you automatically recieve the first advancement with these skills? Are they Basic, Trained, or both? The instructions are not really clear …

Go to page 75 of the Core RT Rulebook. Table 3-1 shows which skills are Basic and which are Advanced. Basic means any untrained person can use this skill, at half of your characteristic. Advanced means you cannot use this skill at all unless you are Trained in it (so no Basic). All characters starting skills, unless otherwise noted, start off as Trained. Trained means you use your full corresponding characteristic.

So, to answer your question, refer to page 75 to discover which skills are Basic and which are Advanced, and then look at your career to see which skills you start off with (which are then Trained).

In all essence though, a Trained skill can be Basic, but why would you want to use half of your corresponding characteristic for tests when you can use your full characteristic? Kinda like the saying "All Basic skills can be Trained, but not all Trained skills can be Basic (meaning the Advanced skills)." Hope this helps.

Nameless2all said:

Go to page 75 of the Core RT Rulebook. Table 3-1 shows which skills are Basic and which are Advanced. Basic means any untrained person can use this skill, at half of your characteristic. Advanced means you cannot use this skill at all unless you are Trained in it (so no Basic). All characters starting skills, unless otherwise noted, start off as Trained. Trained means you use your full corresponding characteristic.

So, to answer your question, refer to page 75 to discover which skills are Basic and which are Advanced, and then look at your career to see which skills you start off with (which are then Trained).

In all essence though, a Trained skill can be Basic, but why would you want to use half of your corresponding characteristic for tests when you can use your full characteristic? Kinda like the saying "All Basic skills can be Trained, but not all Trained skills can be Basic (meaning the Advanced skills)." Hope this helps.

Ah, thanks, that makes sense. And just to be pedantic, having a skill trained means you recieve the first +5 bonus?

No. At the Trained level, you can use the skill at your native skill level. Using a skill Untrained can either not be done at all (Advanced skills) or at a -20 penalty (Basic skills).

Errant said:

No. At the Trained level, you can use the skill at your native skill level. Using a skill Untrained can either not be done at all (Advanced skills) or at a -20 penalty (Basic skills).

Unless the fixed this in the Errate, on page 230 RT it states Untrained Basic Skills are half of the characteristic. You might be referring to Only War. I do prefer the -20 instead of half though.

So to compile that stuff about skills into one post:

Skills all start as Untrained, if you get them as a starting skill from your career or Origin Path then they become Trained.

Untrained Skills can only be used if they are Basic Skills (things that don't require training, such as Dodge or Charm), though untrained basic skills can only use half of the associated Characteristic. If they are an Advanced Skill, then they cannot be used without being Trained (Advanced Skills are more complex skills, like Tech-Use).

ShadowFighter88 said:

Skills all start as Untrained, if you get them as a starting skill from your career or Origin Path then they become Trained.

Untrained Skills can only be used if they are Basic Skills (things that don't require training, such as Dodge or Charm), though untrained basic skills can only use half of the associated Characteristic. If they are an Advanced Skill, then they cannot be used without being Trained (Advanced Skills are more complex skills, like Tech-Use).

Alright, understood. But at character creation, when you have these skills assigned to you through career and origin path … are they flat? Or do they have the +5 bonus?

gladius said:

ShadowFighter88 said:

Alright, understood. But at character creation, when you have these skills assigned to you through career and origin path … are they flat? Or do they have the +5 bonus?

Right on the money ShadowFighter88.

As for you question gladius, I'm not sure what you mean. Only if a skill states that it give you a bonus (like Tech-Use +10), then you will get a bonus. If you get a skill because of your career, origin, background, etc, then it is usually Trained, and if it is not it will say use this skill as a Basic Skill. This will only happen if it's an Advanced Skill because all other skills are already Basic, so why would they tell you to treat a skill as Basic is it's already listed as such on page 230.

Now, if you are referring to duplicate skills, then there are no set rules for this. Some GM's have Houseruled that you get a +10 to that skill, others have Houseruled that you get to choose another skill at character creation equal to it's cost according to your Career, while most others will say having duplicate skills means nothing.

As for any other bonuses, those are situational. Like Shooting a gun on full auto at a close target. Or driving your car, down an open empty highway, at 20 mph/kmph.

Nameless2all said:

gladius said:

ShadowFighter88 said:

Right on the money ShadowFighter88.

As for you question gladius, I'm not sure what you mean. Only if a skill states that it give you a bonus (like Tech-Use +10), then you will get a bonus. If you get a skill because of your career, origin, background, etc, then it is usually Trained, and if it is not it will say use this skill as a Basic Skill. This will only happen if it's an Advanced Skill because all other skills are already Basic, so why would they tell you to treat a skill as Basic is it's already listed as such on page 230.

Now, if you are referring to duplicate skills, then there are no set rules for this. Some GM's have Houseruled that you get a +10 to that skill, others have Houseruled that you get to choose another skill at character creation equal to it's cost according to your Career, while most others will say having duplicate skills means nothing.

As for any other bonuses, those are situational. Like Shooting a gun on full auto at a close target. Or driving your car, down an open empty highway, at 20 mph/kmph.

Okay, asked and answered: I guess I got confused between Skill advances and Charecteristic advances. So when you first recive the skill, it's flat, then next advancement is +10, and so on. Got it. Thanks.

Hi everyone!

Firstly, sorry for my bad language. I'm from Kazahstan.

I have got a question about aerial combat from "Into the Storm" book. I can't understand one rule, so please, help me. Pleaseeeeee.

It's about Combat Mechanics at page 175. The last paraghaph says:

If a pilot fails his Piloting Test to perform a specific manoeuvre by less than 3 degrees, he must make his basic manoeuvre as normal. If he fails by 2 degrees or more, the flyer goes into a steep dive, and the pilot must make a Challenging (+0) Piloting Test to recover.

I can't understand it.

What does it mean "specific manouevre"? Any manoeuvre at pages 175-176, or only multiple manoeuvres in a single movement action? And if Pilot fails Piloting Test more than 2 degrees, does in mean, he goes into a steep dive? In Adverse Conditions (p. 176), for example?

I really broke my head, trying to understand this. So, I really need your help, guys. And give me few examples, please.

Hope, my request isn't terrible.

My reading of a "Specific Manouevre" is anything other than the basic manouevre. If you try to get fancy, then your vessel can go into a steep dive.

I've read this section before, but I apparently mis-interpreted it because as written, these rules are insane. I'm going to re-write it for you the way that I think it should work, and then give you an example. I'll bold my changes to it.

If a pilot fails his test to perform anything other than a Basic Manoeuvre by more than three degrees , they must make a Challenging (+0) to recover. Otherwise the flyer will move its Tactical Speed downwards until it hits the ground. The pilot may make a Challenging (+0) Piloting Test to recover his aircraft once per turn. If they failed the manoeuvre by three or fewer degrees, no additional test is required.

I feel like the intent behind this is to punish you if you try to do something fancy, and potentially causing your flyer to suffer a disastrous consequence. Example time!

Siobhan O’Neill is piloting a Valkyrie against an Ork Fightabomber, and wants to attempt an Immelmann Turn in order to launch a surprise attack against it. She makes a Hard (-20) Piloting Test against her Pilot skill of 55, meaning she needs a 35 or less in order to succeed. She rolls a 57, which fails but imposes no additional penalty. She decides to use a Fate Point and re-roll the skill, with the re-roll coming up 75. This fails by 4 degrees, so her flyer begins to stall.

She makes a Challenging (+0) Piloting Test in order to regain control, and gets a 57 resulting in a failure and her flyer moves its full speed towards the ground. Next turn, assuming the Fightabomber doesn't shoot her down, and she hasn't crashed already, she must repeat this test to regain control of her flyer.

Not dead that thread which can eternal lie, and on stranger forums even death may die...

Well, better it be to recycle than to just cast aside refuse, and then waste more to make the same thing? At least they searched for their question; even I am guilty, from time to time, of just posting something three other people have already posted about, or asked? Worse uses for necromancy, to be sure. ;)