Force Sensitive Specialization question:

By LETE, in Talents and Specialization Trees

Hiyas!

What exactly happens to a character when the player gets rid of the Force Sensitive Exile Specialization?

Thanks!

L

Well, according to the updated rules, nothing, he cannot get rid of it or any specs i think.

Pre-update? well, keep permanenet talents (and force rating I believe), loose everything else.

Checking to see if The question I asked earlier is better placed Here: DO the Force Power Trees (Sense, Influence, Move) Cost as normal specializations do? The cost in the book is stated directly, rather than as a normal specialization.

dreddwulf1 said:

Checking to see if The question I asked earlier is better placed Here: DO the Force Power Trees (Sense, Influence, Move) Cost as normal specializations do? The cost in the book is stated directly, rather than as a normal specialization.

Nope, Force Power trees have a flat cost of 10 XP per power. The text in the printed book that identifies them as 'specializations' has pretty much been removed, as the only connection they have to specializations is that you can't by Power Upgrades without having satisfied the requirements (pretty much buying an upgrade that is directly connected to the one you want to purchase).

Not sure if this should be in a different thread but how can you increase your Force Rating as the only talent mentioning this occurs only once in the Force Sensitive talent tree?

Can it be increased the same a characteristics and should there be rules regarding when and how this can be allowed?

copperbell said:

Not sure if this should be in a different thread but how can you increase your Force Rating as the only talent mentioning this occurs only once in the Force Sensitive talent tree?

Can it be increased the same a characteristics and should there be rules regarding when and how this can be allowed?

There is a talent for it. Take the talent, increase your Force rating. EotE isn't about powerful Force users, so there's only one Force Rating talent. The later books that have more Force user stuff will have more talent trees with that talent.

-EF

copperbell said:

As EldritchFire noted, the only means to increase your Force Rating is the appropriately named Force Rating talent.

As was discussed to death and then some in a few threads, Force Rating is quite specifically not a Characteristic, and thus ineligible for the Dedication talent, nor can it be boosted directly with XP the way that the actual Characteristics (Brawn, Agility, Cunning, Presence, Willpower, Intelligence) can be.

It simply comes do to "do you agree with FFG's approach to have a narrow & defined vision for their game?" rather than WotC's "try to cover all the bases in one book" approach? Not saying either is necessarily better than the other, as they both have their strong points and their weak points, though which is which can vary depending on who you're asking. After seeing the Jedi take center stage over everyone else in recent media, a lot of folks are glad that FFG has deliberately moved the focus of Edge of the Empire about as far away from the Jedi as possible; I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was suggested having no rules for Force-users in the first rulebook, an idea that probably got nix'd real quick with the agreement amongst the rest of the developers that the RPG fanbase would go berserk if there weren't rules for Force-uers of any stripe, limited or not gran_risa.gif

I honestly don't think there should be "official" rules for increasing your PC's Force Rating other than the Force Rating talent. That's not to say I don't think there shouldn't be any more Force-Sensitive Specializations (such as a "basic Jedi training" one), but rather that increasing your Force Rating would be handled much like raising a Characteristic; you simply buy an appropriate specialization (a F/S one in this case), and work your way up the talent tree until you reach the sought-after Force Training talent.

I was reminded that each Force Power tree is flat 10xp, while the Specializations have been changed… is anybody scaling the Power trees? You know, 10xp(# of Powers) or even 15xp per Power? I'm sure this has been discussed, but these boards are simply plethoric, so I would not be offended if someone sent me to that board instead.

jordiver2 said:

I was reminded that each Force Power tree is flat 10xp, while the Specializations have been changed… is anybody scaling the Power trees? You know, 10xp(# of Powers) or even 15xp per Power? I'm sure this has been discussed, but these boards are simply plethoric, so I would not be offended if someone sent me to that board instead.

Nope, the Force Power trees wouldn't scale. One of the earliest updates (Week 2 I think) was to clarify that Force Powers do not follow the same rules as Specializations.

So it's just a flat 10 XP per Force Power, be it your first power or third power.

Given the costs already involved in playing a Force-user, scaling costs on just buying the basic Force Powers really isn't needed.