Grave Robber

By scabbycat, in Talisman Rules Questions

With the Grave Robber I have been playing that when he lands on the Graveyard he can do 1 of 3 things.

1: Use his ability to draw 8 adventure cards and take 1 object and discard the rest.

or

2: Replenish his fate (as long as he is still evil)

or

3: Pray and roll the dice (as long as he is still evil.

But a friend argued that he should be able to use his ability and still pray. I think this is wrong, What do other people think?

I think your friend is right.

On his ability it says "when visiting the graveyard you can dig..", which I interprets to "you can dig as well as visit the graveyard=pray or replenish fate).

Thanks, it makes sense

Thief has "visit the Village" on his card and IIRC is able to grab a Purchase card + do one of three options in the Village, Graverobber being worded similarly, I'd say he can draw 8 and use Graveyard as well.

I think of things as having only the average amount of time to have one experience. I do not agree with visiting the graveyard and digging in the same turn.

Mimm said:

I think of things as having only the average amount of time to have one experience. I do not agree with visiting the graveyard and digging in the same turn.

Well, if there is a card on the Graveyard space, you encounter the card then the Graveyard. So there is certanly no rules against how much you have time to do under one encounter…

Another tip when using the Graverobber that we use. If you also feel that it's a hassle remembering to put the adventure cards the graverobber draws at the bottom of the discard pile:

Let the graverobber have a seperated discard pile where all the cards he throws away are placed. So when he uses his dig skill to draw from the discard pile instead of the adventure card deck then he draws the top card of the normal discard pile. Only if the normal discard pile is empty is he allowed to draw from his discard pile

Grave Robber is one of our favorites. Plus, it's amusing to see him being able to pick up the first card in the discard pile several times, if the following cards are board fixtures or followers/objects.

Landing on: as soon as you hit the space, effect/ability activates

Visiting a space: encountering it normally+special ability activates

Instead of encountering a space ability: the text on the space has no effect. Special ability activates .

Landing on a character/encountering a character: Must encounter character instead of space to activate. Special non-combat abilities activate if chosen , instead of normal combat

One feeling about the Graverobber. After a few games played with him, I have been thinking the draw top 8 Adventure cards ability hoping for a good object then discard the remaining cards kinda boring. I like the way Talisman rules its tale to each character everygame thanks to its large Adventure deck, but there, because of the Graverobber, we believe we are missing a lot of those cards we love to encounter. Did anyone have this feeling of boring ?

However his 2 other abilities have complete agreement, very strategical or not. I would have prefered draw the top adventure card hoping for a good object. 1 card was enough. 8 is a waste of tale to us.