Talented and Skilled

By dreddwulf1, in Game Mechanics

I was looking at the Talents "Skilled Jockey" and a few other related talents and had an Idea. Since these talents are made to reflect a character more skilled than the average, why not simply make the talent provide one automatic success per rank? It seems to me that the truly skilled would make the hard stuff look easy, the easy stuff look like reflex, and the reflexive look as if it could be done while sleeping. I think adding auto successes is both simpler and less dice-heavy as well as reflecting the meaning of being "Skilled" much better than the current method.

Any opinions on this thought?

I have to look up those talents when I get home from work. 1 success isn't all that much really, although if they're ranked talents I'm hesitant… still, the superior weapon attachment/mod generates an auto-advantage.

Jegergryte said:

I have to look up those talents when I get home from work. 1 success isn't all that much really, although if they're ranked talents I'm hesitant… still, the superior weapon attachment/mod generates an auto-advantage.

True, but neither is a single advantage or removing a single setback. Giving an automatic success does both, doesn't add any dice rolls and reflects the fact that you are more skilled than most. Removing a setback aids the roll but doesn't ADD anything to it. A pure roll can still fail just as easily. Since I have seen nothing written as to when a setback is required for a roll, adding a success is a CONSTANT bonus, not just one for "certain conditions" that may only be applicable a few times in game. As for ranking, if the character pays for it, why not give it to them? It doesn't change the fact that one can fail, just makes it easier to succeed and harder to fail as a truly 'skilled' individual.