Keeper's screen

By EarthmanJ, in Mansions of Madness

So I was doing some prep work for a game recently and a thought occured to me.

I like to try and keep as much of each mansion as secret as possible from my players and only reveal each room and all corresponding things as they advance so as to heighten the suprise when they suddenly run across an unexpected hidden room or some such delight. To that end, I was wondering has anyone ever used or found a decent keeper's/gamemaster/dungeonmaster/whateveryou wanttocallit screen online for something like this?

I've been doing a fair bit of looking around, and as yet, I don't have anything to show for it, and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to wind up creating something or not. If anyone has ever run across anything like this any helpful pointing in a good direction would be greatly appreciated!

Some people have talked about a hidden board. While I'm not into it (yet) I can offer some suggestions.

I have read about using a plate or board to cover the game and remove it as you go. The problem with this is that you can never completely cover everything all of the time and if a side room is explored then it will be a real juggling act. You could use a dark cloth to cover the board instead. To me it makes the most sense to simply not have the board out to begin with. When an investigator moves to a door, place the tile out and seed the cards. This way you dont have to worry about messing up the card piles with the cloth/board/screen as you move along.

Really the game moves fast enough that it would be more of a hindrance (and slow the pace) than anything else. Sure it could be fun to not know exactly what or how big the map actually is. After playing a given scenario once it wont be a secret next time.

Well I'm thinking more like somethign akin to a tradional RPG style gaming screen where I have all my map tiles and cards hidden away from my investigators, and lay out tiles one at a time as they explore, while having rule reminders on the back of the screen for me to have easily available at my disposal…

Ah, you are already placing the tiles out one at a time. I guess it could be fun. Like I said, its only really good for one shot though.

As for a screen I had considered saving the insert that comes in the box to hold the components in place during shipping. I could not so I tossed it (trust me this one big step of twelve). If you still had that you could mount it on some thicker card or foam board. Another old trick for a GM/DM screen is to cut down a board from a cheap or missing parts shelf game and repaint it.

Considering what you are doing you do sort of need one. Just remember there are some things the investigators are allowed to see such as the keeper actions cards (for now).

A traditional game screen would come in handy for MoM. Great idea. It would be nice to hide your monsters prior to deployment while also having the keeper rules on the inside of the screen for quick reference.

FFG has the manual, albeit in low resolution, on the website. It wouldn't be too difficult to print the required keeper pages on 8.5x11" paper and then mount it to (black) foam core or gator board cut down to the same size. You could then use black fabric tape to act as a hinge between the foam core panels so that the screen stands up. I really like this idea and might make one for myself. I'll let you know how it turns out if I do. :)