Gold vs Reducers

By mnBroncos, in 4. AGoT Deck Construction

How do most people going about decideding how many gold producing vs cost reducing locations go into their decks?

I usually go with 3x Limited gold producers, 3x Seas, then 3-4 of the neutral streets that fit my deck best. I only use Fiefdoms if I have some use for influence.

I generally shoot for 11 - 12 reducers / producers with no more than 6 limited cards as a general rule. If the deck is running a number of shadow cards, I will go exclusively gold producers for my limited cards, using The Searoad or The Roseroad to make up what I can't produce with in house gold producers. However, if I'm not running a large number of shadows cards I generally prefer to see if my house has anything special as far as reducers go (like palace fountains for Martell). If so I'll run that along side the gold producer to make up my 6 limited. (I only use the fiefdoms if I think I'll need the influence or if I'm running KotHH and can't use gold producers.) To make up the remainder of the reducers, I generally run seas, and then 2 - 3 streets. However, if I'm running a large number of shadow cards the streets may get tossed aside in favor of kingdom of shadows and a chambers. If I'm still finding I'm hurting for gold a singleton of black raven might find its way in the deck as an absolute last resort, though more likely I'll tweek the plots for a higher gold content or else I'll just abandon the deck idea.

There are, of course, always exceptions. I'm going to experiment tonight with a deck with a KotHH with 15 reducers, a ton of draw, and Ghaston Grey to allow me to get the most out of my disgusting amounts of resources every turn.

what would you recommend for a martell deck (that needs some influence but not alot) and six shadow cards