Othello pieces as force points

By darkrose50, in Game Mechanics

I think Othello chips would make an excellent force point manipulative. They look just like the results on the force die and can be flipped over from white to black, or black to white. I wonder if this is what they had in mind for force points when they designed the game.

I checked eBay and such, but folks wanted crazy money for the chips ($0.50 each, plus S&H).
Well after five trips to various Good Will stores I found a copy of Othello for $2. It came with 64 chips, that should be enough for 32-players. Well I found a copy without the chips on the third trip, but that does not count.

This should be cool come gametime!

darkrose50 said:

I think Othello chips would make an excellent force point manipulative. They look just like the results on the force die and can be flipped over from white to black, or black to white. I wonder if this is what they had in mind for force points when they designed the game.

I checked eBay and such, but folks wanted crazy money for the chips ($0.50 each, plus S&H).
Well after five trips to various Good Will stores I found a copy of Othello for $2. It came with 64 chips, that should be enough for 32-players. Well I found a copy without the chips on the third trip, but that does not count.

we use 2 starwars trading cards, rebel and empire packed face-to-face in a sleeve, flipping them over when they are spend to display either the empire or rebel symbol faceup….

url4-650x456.jpg

darkrose50 said:

Brill-iant (said in a sing-songy voice)

darkrose50 said:

Thanks for the idea. I was looking for black and white beeds (half and half) just yesterday at Walmart and failed.

Been using the othello chips since day one - they work really well - provides an instantly usable/readable pool to work from

My players have commented how well they work

I believe that because they are shaped they way they are, it has inspired my players to be more theatrical and inventive when they come to using them,

I have seen more expression and invention on their face and in their action when they come to describe how they use them.

FFG will be tempting us to by the dice (I will buy multiple packs I'm sure) - Will they later offer (with the force book) a release of force tokens????

darkrose50 said:

I use Othello pieces and yeah, they're pretty much perfect. I imagine this is what the designers used when they were testing the game.