Future expansions

By Mike Eldredd, in Rune Age

I've only played Descent and Rune Age so my overall knowledge of Terrinoth is a bit lacking. Are there any other known factions (maybe from Runebound or Runewars) that would could expect to show up in a faciton after Oath and Anvil. Looking forward to seeing what the orcs and dwarves add but also interested to hear what else could eventually happen.

Is there any good source to actually learn more about Terrinoth other then the other games?

Runewars and Rune Age are a bit different to Descent and Runebound. I should say I've never played Descent, though from what I know of it, it's not the same. Anyway, Runebound doesn't have factions, but solitary heroes going about adventuring, and it seems that Descent is the same. Runewars seems to have been a re-imagining of Terrinoth with factions etc, and from what I've seen, the factions from Runewars are faithfully reproduced in card form in Rune Age. In fact, Rune Age has gone beyond Runewars and given us orcs and dwarves.

It's my theory that Runewars and Rune Age will continue to expand in a leapfrogging fashion, as Oath and Anvil took elements of Banners of War and converted them into card format, as well as extending the game; Runewars will then take elements of Oath and Anvil and produce the boardgame format as well as giving us more stuff; which will then be included in further Rune Age expansions. So keep an eye on Runewars news!

If it sells well! Let's hope!

I simply wish they'd make a hero "merc" deck in the neutral area that is face-down and all the units cost exactly the same, like 5. There'd be no copies, each one being a unique hero from Descent/Runebound universe. If any would ever be trashed, it's placed underneath the deck it was purchased from in the neutral zone so you are guaranteed to continue to see new faces as the session continues from purchase to purchase.

I'm hoping we see some Runebound heroes in card form as well - hopefully the next expansion will have something along these lines!

Tromdial said:

I simply wish they'd make a hero "merc" deck in the neutral area that is face-down and all the units cost exactly the same, like 5. There'd be no copies, each one being a unique hero from Descent/Runebound universe. If any would ever be trashed, it's placed underneath the deck it was purchased from in the neutral zone so you are guaranteed to continue to see new faces as the session continues from purchase to purchase.

This sounds like an awesome idea. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

In general, I'm loving the new expansion so much (a great game is now so much better) and I'm really hoping they put out a second expansion. I'd like to see one more unit for each faction, some new neutral cities, two new scenarios, some more mercenaries, and some special "hero" cards taken from the Runebound universe.

I might as well just direct deposit my money straight to FFG because I will buy every expansion they make for this game.

Style75 said:

Tromdial said:

This sounds like an awesome idea. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

In general, I'm loving the new expansion so much (a great game is now so much better) and I'm really hoping they put out a second expansion. I'd like to see one more unit for each faction, some new neutral cities, two new scenarios, some more mercenaries, and some special "hero" cards taken from the Runebound universe.

I might as well just direct deposit my money straight to FFG because I will buy every expansion they make for this game.

Ditto. Just ditto to all the above.

I have also thought a better variation of what would be the "merc" deck, and to have it face-up instead. The fundamental reasoning is it looks like there is a spare deck just sitting in the middle of the table.

My new idea of the "Hero" pile is that it is shuffled face-down, the deck is then flipped to face the bottom card up and then that revealed card is placed underneath all other cards. This way the Heroes all vary in different influence price and you get to see what you are buying. If there is ever a Hero that a player is disinterested in and would like to bury the card, he spends a set rule of influence (like 1, 2, or even 3 at highest) on his turn as many times as he wants so he may sort through for the hero he wishes in his deck to then buy with sufficient influence (or perhaps a neutral card that grabs it for him that he plays from hand). This also could create a whole new scenario that involves recruiting the most heroes or some other reason behind a solid hero pile. Heroes could also receive a small bonus depending on what race they belong to when paired with the right player (i.e. Elder Mok When Played : your opponent discards a card of his choice. If paired with the Orcs of the Broken Plain army, your opponent discards 2 cards of his choice instead; Leoric of the Book Resolution : destroy an opposing unit with strength equal to or less than the number of cards in your hand. If paired with the Daqan Lords, draw 1 card before resolving this effect; etc. etc.).

My friends and I really want more cooperative play. I also hope they make two new races again: a gnome/halfling race so Tomble can have his own group and maybe a frost-wilderness group reminiscent of Descent 1e's Tomb of Ice.

Let me be more clear: when you would sort through the "hero" pile, what you are specifically doing is spending a set amount of influence. Each time you spend that set price, you are taking the top card, and burying it at the bottom (just like what happens after the shuffle during set-up for the "hero" pile). This has a three-fold effect: 1). You are burying in hopes of finding another hero that suits you to purchase, 2). You are burying so another player cannot get hopefully the hero you want by the time it gets back to you, and/or 3). You are hate burying the card so your opponent cannot get the card for his deck especially. Similarly, this is why an influence card that you destroy when played to search and grab a hero from the pile and then shuffle the pile afterward would be extremely useful.

I like the hero deck idea. With the number of heroes introduced in the various Runebound and Descent games and expansions there would be plenty.

It seems like there should be different types of heroes. Some would go into your deck and others would go into play like your strongholds and be a fixed resource that you exhaust and refresh.

Just an idea that struck me as I read your post.

Either way FFG BRING ON MORE EXPANSIONS! EVEN PRINT ON DEMAND! Then bundle some card sleeves with a print on demand package deal.

I personally don't think Print on Demand would go well with Rune Age. The only way to pull it would be to make Events that are PoD, but for this game I'd rather have cards that match the same card texture, as I have previously thought about making a mega event deck using events from other scenarios.