Squad leader

By mwodom, in X-Wing Rules Questions

I noticed the Elite ability Squad Leader has a bullet point in front of it. Can this ability be used once per side or only once per battle?

mwodom said:

I noticed the Elite ability Squad Leader has a bullet point in front of it. Can this ability be used once per side or only once per battle?

Logically it should mean that you can only have one pilot have a Squad Leader card, since in the rulebook it says that a player cannot field two or more cards that share the same unique name.

However, there is no mention of elite pilot talent cards under the entry for Unique Names in the rulebook. It says: "This game box includes several famous pilots and astromechs from the Star Wars universe. Each of these famous characters is represented by a card with a unique name, which is identified by the bullet to the left of the name"

Don't get stuck on the "pilots and astromechs" part. Those are just examples. We're talking about unique names and those are designated with a bullet (•). It doesn't matter what kind of card it is, because of this line: "A player cannot field two or more cards that share the same unique name."

I'm not, I'm just setting expectations. Sooner or later we would get rules lawyers questioning this as well gran_risa.gif

Don't encourage them! :)

Well I think the question is whether only one ship on the table can have Squad Leader or if each player can have a Squad Leader and the answer is that each player can have their own Squad Leader. The exception, of course, is when playing teams, in which case each team can only have one Squad Leader.

Thanks, I was getting stuck on per table or per player. Completely missed per player part.

I agree one per side makes sense.

Also, see "mirror matches" on p. 3 of the tournament rules.

In a tournament of tournament like event, multiple of the same unique card CAN be used (just not in the same squad, but in opposing squads). For example, if both sides are playing Rebels, each side could have 1 Luke, 1 Wedge, 1, R2-D2, Squad Leader (there could be lots of double unique figures on the table).

This one is just a little weird because it seems to violate the rules that come with the game for friendly games (usually one would take Rebels and one would take Imperials… and as worded this card could only be used once). But, if it's ok in a tournament I think an exception can be made in an unofficial friendly game for this card.

BTW, I didn't even notice the dot before this. Glad you mentioned it.