I know I can never beat my son but…….

By player1540319, in X-Wing Battle Reports

My son and I have played 3 games. I have taken the Rebs all 3 times with Luke, (Tim) Horton, and Wedge. He has Vader, Howl. Mith, Steele Dan and another named tie with various upgrades. It seems that 4 vs 3 is not a good match… ever. Would Biggs with R2 D2 or the R2 that gives him the action of taking away a damage card be better than a Y-wing. And is Luke really that good? What upgrades help him the best if I can have Biggs bodyguard for a round or 2. (Im thinking Squad leader to give Biggs a free action like focus so he my withstand alot of attacks. Also, Wedge with Marksmanship and a torpedo. Or can you make a solid Reb squad @100pts with 4 ships?

"I CANT WIN"- help!!!

Don't panic. It's only been 3 games. It will get better. happy.gif

I've played mostly as Imperials against my son but even the few games I've played at Rebs have been wins for me. In my case it's my son only being 9 that I attribute to my perfect record. But he's pulled off some impressive maneuvers and very nearly won a couple games, so he's definitely getting better.

I suspect after some additional experience, you'll be doing better too. Don't let yourself get discouraged.

To help us better help you, tell us how you used your ships, what he did that seemed to take you out too easily. Either there are some rule mistakes or you're having some trouble wrapping your head around the game. List building is interesting in this game but isn't game breaking… at least I haven't found it to be. Low skill generics can hold their own against the elites, its just harder.

-DavicusPrime

I think Horton is too many points for what he can do. If you want to use a y wing, use gold (I think that is the cheapest) or Vander (Vander is great if you like firing torps. Wedge is the most expensive Pilot for a great reason. He can deal 4 attack dice vs 2 defense (either long range with a torp or close range with a primary attack).

Chris I think you need to go out and get more Ties so you and Luke can play Emp on Emp. I seriously can't get the Rebs to do anything either, if they can take out 2 Ties before they are obliterated I consider it a victory.

I've tried using the Asteroids for cover and interference, which does help them out, but it doesn't win them a game. I've tried Proton torps, but most of the time they are wasted points, either the ship goes down before they can fire or the Ties brush it off. Best case it blows up a Tie in one shot from range 3 but that is rare. If you are going to use Torps they are only worth it on Wedge, because he has the Special Ability to knock off one of the defender's Agility dice or Horton because he rerolls blanks for free at range 2-3. It is best for the Rebs to delay contact as long as possible, meaning start way back and go very slow, letting the Ties fly right at you. Keep playing and have fun.

The rebels are just fine…. I beat Empire with them… X wings are great and Y Wings demand respect with the amount of shields and hull points they have (although with crappy agility stat they take a bigger pounding to begin with). You need to co-ordinate your attacks and thin out the enemy numbers then with equal or lower numbers than you, Empire doesn't stand a chance. People think that because the core set comes with one X wing and 2 ties that it means that X wings should be fighting alone and taking on 2 ties each by themselves….. You need to be co-ordinating your attacks and flying and fighting in formation…. be bold because safe maneuvers will get you nowhere as the more nimble empire ships want you to be conservative and predictable where they are able to simply outfly you with better speed, sharper turns and barrel rolls.

Maybe try a list that looks something like this…

Wedge + Swarm Tactics

Rookie X wing pilot

Luke + swarm tactics

Gold squadron Y wing pilot

=100 ( I like games of 125 personally but most play 100 and you asked about 100)

Run one skill 2 pilot with wedge and one with Luke. Charge straight at the enemy ships right away. The only thing attacking before you is Vader and Vader will be very very hard pressed to be able to kill an X wing all by himself even with clusters and marksmanship. Even if he is running a swarm tactics list with a ship beside him, it is still unlikely with your shields and hull that they will kill an X wing in one pass and if they happen to get lucky enough to do so against Wedge or his ally, simultaneous attack rules allow you to answer back even if destroyed. Howlrunner is the only Imp pilot with skill 8 like Luke and his ally and is seldom used and what are the odds he will have Vader with swarm and Howlrunner with swarm? So assuming he takes the popular Vader with clusters/marksmanship combo, Vader possibly does some damage to one of your ships ( he might destroy one but its unlikely) then Wedge fires at a Tie and then his swarm ally fires at the same Tie both at skill 9, if they are in close enough they are almost sure to destroy that Tie fighter. Next comes Luke and his buddy at skill 8 which both pick on a different Tie and are likely to get the same result… now the empire is down 2 tie fighters before shooting anything but possibly Vader…. now the numbers advantage they might have had is gone and with equal numbers or better numbers for the rebels the Imps are in trouble. Then don't be afraid to go for a koiogran 4 right after. Everyone seems reluctant to use red maneuvers unless its a desperate attempt at something…. give up the action for a turn if it means getting behind those Ties and staying parallel to your wingman for another potential 2 pilots at 9 and 2 pilots at 8 gang up attack… obviously what your opponent does has an impact on what you will do but I gave this an example to illustrate that you should be flying hard and on the edge… risk red moves… be unexpected… stress those ******* if you have to, just get them into position to put the Ties on the defense… let them evade, it means they are focussing on defense rather than offense…. get in tight for the 4th attack dice especially with Wedge who will be throwing a 4-2…. even if you don't have any focus because you are stressed, Wedge will mess stuff up in a 4-2 even if the Tie has an evade token… there are more hits on attack dice than there are evades on defense dice… rebels have better attack capabilities… do the math… Be bold… fly hard…. fight like the Galaxy is on the line…. Pick up some power converters from Toshi station…. Trust your feelings… Use the force Luke…. and for God's sake, don't let a fat guy named Porkins watch your 6!

Thanks for the response, but check out my new topic. That proves it right there that there is unbalance in the force.

I read it… it only proves you like to complain. Rub a rabbits foot for luck or learn to get better at the game if you want to win…. sorry dude, but I can't stand " this is unbalanced because I never win" whiners… there is a guy at my LGS that runs awesome Khador Warmachine stuff and he never ever wins… I mean ever…. Other Khador players tear faces off with the same exact stuff…. he is man enough to simply ask people for advice on the game and conceeds that he just sucks at the game but he enjoys it anyway and so we all get along and try to help him get better and one day maybe he won't suck as much or he won't suck at all… if he just claimed that everything was imbalanced and BS and cried like a little girl with a skinned knee then none of us would help him and we would all just laugh at him behind his back and call him a whining little girl….

… Seriously dude… grow a pair instead of making 2 different post to try and make people that have not played the game yet think that the game is broken when its not w

Strombole said:

I read it… it only proves you like to complain. Rub a rabbits foot for luck or learn to get better at the game if you want to win…. sorry dude, but I can't stand " this is unbalanced because I never win" whiners… there is a guy at my LGS that runs awesome Khador Warmachine stuff and he never ever wins… I mean ever…. Other Khador players tear faces off with the same exact stuff…. he is man enough to simply ask people for advice on the game and conceeds that he just sucks at the game but he enjoys it anyway and so we all get along and try to help him get better and one day maybe he won't suck as much or he won't suck at all… if he just claimed that everything was imbalanced and BS and cried like a little girl with a skinned knee then none of us would help him and we would all just laugh at him behind his back and call him a whining little girl….

… Seriously dude… grow a pair instead of making 2 different post to try and make people that have not played the game yet think that the game is broken when its not w

I value your opinion, Strombole, and I agree with you here, but you've gotta ease up a little bit. I'd hate to see you kicked off the forums for being rude.