Critical and Gear Cards

By gribble, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

Yes, I know one of the things people didn't really like about WFRP 3e were all the fiddly bits, but there seems to be quite a bit of stuff that requires reference during play.

For those that prefer "fiddly bits" to reference sheets (or who prefer a mix), I've put together the following deck of critical cards, to use to hand out to players that are critically injured (or vehicles that are critically hit):

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9077657/SW-EotE-Critical-Cards.pdf

I'm also experimenting with gear cards - here's my first attempt for some of the weapons (and upgrades):

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9077657/SW-EotE-Gear-Cards.pdf

The latter is still a bit of a work in progress, and is incomplete, but thought I'd share now for feedback.

Looks very good and I can see a use for them. A couple of quick comments though.

First, for the Critical Cards since all of the cards are the same size, you only need one set of backs for each deck. You can save many pages in the pdf.

Second, for the Gear Cards you need to reverse the order of the backs so that they match the fronts when they are flipped over. This is needed as you have some half sized cards mixed in with the full sized ones.

Mark

Gribble, these are so awesome!!! I am SO using these for my game, it's exactly what I was thinking about to be honest. This is very appreciated!!!

The first thing I did on purpose, because it makes it easier to just print off two sided, rather than fluff around printing individual pages.

Cheers, for the second point. It hadn't occurred to me - first attempt at cards.

:)

Oh yes, if you have a printer capable of two-sided printing, then how you've organized the pdf is great! I wonder how my laser will handle two-sided printing on card stock.

Mark

Excellent stuff and just the type of thing I was thinking would be nice to have when I read through the rules (I'm one of those people who happen to like WFRP3e happy.gif )

In the slim event you haven't thought of it already, it'd be handy to have condition cards to help track those transient status effects

Delwyn said:

In the slim event you haven't thought of it already, it'd be handy to have condition cards to help track those transient status effects

Like these you mean?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9077657/Condition-Cards.pdf

Almost seems like a waste, given how simple conditions are in EotE… I didn't bother with one for incapacitated, as that seems pretty straight-forward.

Is there any chance we will be seeing any Strange Eons skins for Star Wars? Seems the perfect software for creating your own cards. I would love to create my own talent, ship, gear, and location cards. For those without the experience, it is a program that allows you to easily make your own cards for other FFG games such as Warhammer, Cuthulhuhulthu*, etc.

*Yes I was being sarcastic in the spelling since I usually miss a letter or add one without looking it up.

*lol* Yes, just like those :)

And yes, I know they're fairly simple, but having something tangible with a die or counters on it to track timing makes for one less thing that needs to be remembered during combat.

+1 I think the gear cards (esp) add a tactile sense that a line on a character sheet doesn't.

Thanks

how do you intend on using the critical cards

roll dice - look up table - hand out relevant card

or

workout the probabilities of the results and create a deck to represent those probabilities.

one thing i liked about the WFRP3 cards was that it was self contained with no need to look up a table. but the problem i see with that here would be that as a card is handed out it would change the probabilities. then again is that a problem? or just different?

New Zombie said:

workout the probabilities of the results and create a deck to represent those probabilities.

This sounds like a good idea. Insert a number of each card to at least get close (hard to match without a 100 card deck) the percentages on the tables.

I could see players counting cards though. If you notice lots of a certain card on the table already, you will know that your chances of getting the same result is low.

I did think about an approach like that, but unfortunately the fact that you can add to the roll (e.g.: +10 per critical hit already suffered, +10 per rank of Vicious, etc) mean that a random deck kind of system really wouldn't work… at least, I'm not smart enough to make it work.

The deck idea is inspired, but unfortunately flawed, unless you make one for each player.

Just because Player 1 has Status A, doesn't make it less likely for Player 2 to also get Status A - which having a deck and removing a card will do. Unfortunately we'll probably end up referencing tables still.

D&D 4E had condition cards for their Encounters sessions that worked pretty much the same.

The gear cards though, I can see those being an amazing concept - just need to flesh out the mechanics a little - make the upgrades and such stackable (similar to how you stack upgrades in "Munchkin") would be a greater quantity of cards, but again as said earlier - it gives a tangible feeling for your weapon.

I don't want to see this to turn into a card game - but as a narrative play game it shouldn't detrimentally affect the play style to have reference cards.

I love the idea of the cards in general though; I will need to print them off!

Thank you for the initiative on this though, it's a great idea.