Chaos version of warp navigation

By weaver95, in Black Crusade

I don't know if this has been covered before but…i'm not sure exactly HOW Chaos raiders navigate the warp. the Navis Nobilite isn't exactly available to hire out Navigators to Chaos ships.

My best guess (even if this isn't exactly reflected in the Black Crusade rules) is that chaos ships either use sorcerers to chart a course through the warp or they bind daemons to the ships and have THEM navigate to their target destinations. or they might just punch through the warp and run blind, trusting their fate to whatever chaos god the crew worships.

any thoughts on the matter? feel free to share. i'm considering running a short black crusade game and this is a detail that might be important later.

Maybe they search for space-o-dynamic seagulls to guide their ships?

but seriously: I think the chaos can make people to have mutations very similar to the navigators, with luck and/or constant warping the flesh, until the desired mutation appears. I could imagine a ships navigator be a huge mutated mass of flesh, with just a single head still intact which has a third eye to gaze into the warp and navigate through it.

I play in a campaign that's a hybrid of Black Crusade and Rogue Trader. The Captain is a Psyker, and he navigates through the warp by summoning a daemon to help steer the ship. The daemon seems to be bound to the ship, and so far it's obedient.

… So far.

There are Renegade Houses of Navigators, so it's not too far fetched that some of them serve Chaos.

From THE NAVIGATOR HOUSES section on page 313.

"Renegades dedicated to the Ruinous Powers utilise both rogue
Navigators and sorcerers with analogous powers to steer their
vessels through the shifting tides of the Empyrean, steering not
by the sickly illumination cast by the Astronomican, but by other,
more powerful beacons only they can look upon."

I think that's the 3rd time I copy/paste this :)

ShadowRay said:

From THE NAVIGATOR HOUSES section on page 313.

"Renegades dedicated to the Ruinous Powers utilise both rogue
Navigators and sorcerers with analogous powers to steer their
vessels through the shifting tides of the Empyrean, steering not
by the sickly illumination cast by the Astronomican, but by other,
more powerful beacons only they can look upon."

I think that's the 3rd time I copy/paste this :)

And I bet not the last

edit: ignore this