Sidestep - defence or not?

By Jegergryte, in Talents and Specialization Trees

In the mechanics forum we have a discussion on defence, stacking and suchness.

So, I wonder, does the Sidestep talent constitute a defence bonus to the ranged defence? Or is this setback die something else, and therefore stacks with the armour's general defence?

Since the maneuver in question doesn't mention defense at all, I say it's not a defense bonus. The wording may be to specifically allow it to work with your current defense, since defense doesn't stack.

Defense gives setback dice, but gaining a setback die isn't an increase in defense.

-EF

Well, that is exactly the issue discussed on the mechanics board. Then that does, most likely, go for Guarded stance too… which leaves - as far as I know - defensive as the only thing that can add defence (perhaps deflection too, havent got the book handy). Issue is that defence is three different categories. So if you wear armour, general defence, and use a weapon with the defensive quality, it does not increase the over all defence, since its a different source of defence - melee as opposed to general… at least that is the way I understand it. Advantages too does not increase general defence, but rather one of the two specific ones, which means it does not stack with armour… which is fine by me, it only leaves one, or two, different ways of actually increasing defence… talents and manoeuvres not being defence… I just wondered.