Line of Sight Question (with Visual Aid)

By El_Tonio, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Does the TIE fighter have LOS to the Y-Wing in this photo (note the asteroid between them)? Based on the diagram on p. 11 and the "attacking through obstacles" rules on p. 20, we were originally thinking yes (because the closest part of the ships is just outside the asteroid and you are supposed to measure range and whether something is an obstacle at the shortest distance). But, the centers of the figures/bases are clearly blocked by the asteroid. What do you guys think?

P1120926.JPG

The most confusing part about this rulings to me are the sentences

-When measuring range during combat, if ANY PART of the range ruler between the two ships overlaps an obstacle token, the attack is considered obstructed.

and

-Remember that, range is always measured as the shortest distance between the two ships' bases.

I would say no it is not obstructed. It says "when measuring RANGE" the range is the shortest distance, and no part of the ruler is obstructed at that point and location.

The part that clarified it for me was the sentence

-The attacker cannot attempt to measure range to a different part of a base in order to avoid obstructing obstacles.

I only reversed it to mean the defender cannot attempt to measure range at a different part of the base TO be obstructed.

TL:DR, No, the range ruler isn't blocked at the shortest point of the ship, even though it is blocked later, the range is at the shortest point.

Agreed. The ruler at the shortest point is not obstructed.

Looks like a legal shot to me.

What's interesting is that this changes what LOS means a bit. It thought it was supposed to be 90 degrees from the center of the base. But, if this is a legal shot, it means it's 90 degrees from any spot on the front of the ship as long as it's closest to the target. Gives you a bit more flexibility with obstacles, no? That is, don't have to get nearly as much of your ship past it to have LOS if the angel is right.

El_Tonio said:

What's interesting is that this changes what LOS means a bit. It thought it was supposed to be 90 degrees from the center of the base. But, if this is a legal shot, it means it's 90 degrees from any spot on the front of the ship as long as it's closest to the target. Gives you a bit more flexibility with obstacles, no? That is, don't have to get nearly as much of your ship past it to have LOS if the angel is right.

Yes! Yes! See, this is what I was griping about earlier when I brought up the issue of firing arcs and maximum ranges as figured in the rules and tutorial videos. Their depictions would suggest the range ruler must originate in the center of the front of the attacking craft, but this is not so.

As an additional clarification for future inquiries, remember that line of sight is always the shortest distance between two ships, within the firing arc of the attacker. So if the asteroid was moved over to the right, even if that meant a clear shot from the TIE's starboard front corner, the attack is still obstructed because you cannot draw a line from that corner since it isn't the closest.

Budgernaut said:

Yes! Yes! See, this is what I was griping about earlier when I brought up the issue of firing arcs and maximum ranges as figured in the rules and tutorial videos. Their depictions would suggest the range ruler must originate in the center of the front of the attacking craft, but this is not so.

As an additional clarification for future inquiries, remember that line of sight is always the shortest distance between two ships, within the firing arc of the attacker. So if the asteroid was moved over to the right, even if that meant a clear shot from the TIE's starboard front corner, the attack is still obstructed because you cannot draw a line from that corner since it isn't the closest.

EXCELLENT point Budger. It MUST be the shortest distance measured. No picking unobscured points to avoid extra defense shenanigans.