My Question To You

By The Message, in Fan Creations

Ok, I have a ton of projects underway at the moment, all of them I would like to finish at some point. However, I also like contributing to the community, so while it doesn't matter to me which expansion gets finished first, I'd rather go with those that other people might enjoy as well. Here are the current list of expansions I'm working on:

Twilight Omens: This set will work to expand the role of the Silver Twilight Lodge and also make heavy use of Corinthian's Day/Night mechanic. Special events will be linked to the Cross symbol (similar to events in Lost In The Woods being linked to Hexagon) and Twilight Lodge Members will have access to powerful abilities if they choose to invest in them.

Untitled (Deputy): This set expands the role of the Deputy in arkham, with leads and eventually the acquisition of powerful tools to counteract the mythos. There will also be Crimes that occur throughout the city, many mythos related but some totally mundane. These crimes will provide minor obstacles that can accumulate over time if left unchecked. Also, Arrested will be a oft used mechanic.

Untitled (Nyarlathotep): A set dedicated entirely to Nyarlathotep, The Crawling Chaos. There will be 10 brand new Heralds, all related to Nyarly and his avatars, as well as 2 new GOOs similarly linked. Additionally, there will be special Plot of Nyarlathotep cards that enter play very rarely but can have a massive impact. When these cards are first draw, the investigators must decide to negate them (At great cost) or let them enter play permanently.

The Sands Below: A set with a new map that links to the Black Cave, but will also link to other locations in further expansions. It stresses 'quest-like' events that arise which require investigators to traverse the underground desert and complete various tasks. The cost in time is great, but so are the rewards. This set will also feature a decent number of new Exhibit items.

Untitled (Dimensions): This set will focus primarily on otherworlds and include a new map for precisely this purpose. This is the least developed set, so I don't have much else to say about it.

Culdwell Horror: Very close to completion, but I keep putting it off. This is a standalone map that takes place in the small mining community of Culdwell. It is a very claustrophobic, high-stakes kind of game, very cutthroat. Pharol The Black weighs heavily upon the action as a brand new GOO with a twist, as does a rather sadistic new Guardian.

The Besieged Kingdom: A mammoth standalone expansion with a pseudo-medieval fantasy vibe, albeit in a lovecraftian tone. There are three brand new maps, five GOOs, 2 each of Heralds and Guardians and a host of brand new cards in all categories. It basically plays like a totally different game, emphasising character development and exploration (Especially through the other worlds). There are a few main victory conditions, with sealing being toned down heavily in usefulness. I'd say I'm about a third of the way through this beast.

Untitled (Atoll/Ocean): The third standalone expansion, with it's own map set in the ocean. Links several of my own short stories together in a manner similar to the base game, though a bit more focused and cogent. Underwater exploration plays a big role, as do alternate win conditions.

So there you go. I'm going to work on finalizing Lost In The Woods and finish off The Thing (I need to post those heralds...), then I'm going to buckle down on whatever people seem to think sounds cool. Any votes?

My immediate response - finish off Lost in the Woods - it looks good, but still doesn't quite feel playable yet - and then work on Twilight Omens. I've always liked the STL, but we rarely have time to get to over to it and trawl for memberships, since too much other stuff is happening. Something going on over there that forces us to interact with it would be awesome. The Deputy stuff would also be interesting, but it's going to have to be seriously attention getting to pull us away from trying to seal the GOO.

This is not to say that the rest of that doesn't sound interesting - anything that adds an expansion board, especially one that's only one square - seems to be an excellent way to add to the game.

Hello Message,

Beautiful ideas! I take my dusty derby off in bowing respect.

All your ideas are fantastic.

If I were you I'd just plow ahead and finish your Culdwell Horror expansions. Check it of your mental list, and move ahead.

(Personal note, and not intended to be a criticism just a difference of taste. When putting together new expansions I tend to enjoy locations, monsters, investigators that are not photographs, but illustrated/painted artwork of some short. It adds to the fantastic, by removing one from recognizable norms, and fits better with Fantasy Flights artwork.)

I have been wanting, as I know others have a fully flushed out Outer World/Dreamland Expansion. This might be the most difficult to create. It would be a shame not to incorporate (even in an optionally manner) the official Outer World Events. Another issue would be justifying a reason for an investigator to be away from Arkham proper for so many turns.

I have considered it might be an interesting game option to have the barriers between nightmare dissolving and if the Dreamlands shift to far the delicate balance breaks and nightmares become reality in Arkham. This would involve adding some seriously nasty nightmares to the Mythos Card Deck, and maybe something like a Sanity Track. All the investigators will eventually go mad, it is just a matter of time, and Will, unless the G.O.O. is defeated. Not only do you have to save Arkham and Earth, but all reality. High states!

Next up would be either Twilight Omens or Deputy. Anything that expands the development of an investigator is welcome. The Deputy expansion seems ideal to expand on Sheldon Gang membership.

The Sands Below seems rather cool with the stress on “quest-like” mechanics.

The Besieged Kingdom’s Outer World exploration element you might be able to incorporate someway into a proper Dreamland expansion.

Last but not least is the Ocean Expansion. I hate to put this last, as it might be your best expansion, but one thing at a time.

Good Luck

I had ideas for a Dreamland's based gameboard, not an expansion but a replacement for the base Arkham board. The Dreamlands are such a well-documented place that there are more potential locations than for Arkham.

As it currently stands the idea has only progressed to a little initial research, purely by re-reading Brian Lumley's Titus Crow series. With everything I have on my social and educational calendar right now, it probably will take a long time for anything to actually come of it though.

Ok, I think I've got the answer I need. I'll work on finishing LiTW this week then get to work on Twilight Omens, working some on Culdwell Horror whenever I get bored (I have issues with that). Thanks for your replies!

kickass! Please do so. And if you could, perhaps, give us a little previewage of your other stuff with .eons, well...that would be nifty too.

Like the sound of all of 'em mate. So I would be happy with ya finishing them in whatever order you prefer, or failing that most complete to least so. I feel inspired to get knuckled down on more of my own ideas too, just wish I had more time.