marksmanship and cluster missiles

By fiddybucks, in X-Wing Rules Questions

I always read "you may change one focus to a crit, and the rest of the focus become hits" so you can take or leave the crit, but either way the rest will become hits.

Another equally valid reading "you may change one focus to a crit and the rest to hits" so if you take any of it you have to take all of it.

I don't think it makes that big of a difference, but it is unclear.

Are there really no commas in the wording of that ability? If so then I am more or less inclined to believe that you may choose to use the effect of the Markmanship Action for each attack you make, and it's all or nothing, for each attack.

There is a comma.

"When attacking this round,,,,,,,,,,,,you may…"

I've been playing you can use it on each attack. I hope that's what the call is as it makes the most sense to me.

But that effect could have easily been worded as "when attacking, you may…"

Would that mean that if a card was released in the future that said "when defending, you may…" would be played the same as a card that would say "when defending this round, you may…"?

ArcticSnake said:

But that effect could have easily been worded as "when attacking, you may…"

Would that mean that if a card was released in the future that said "when defending, you may…" would be played the same as a card that would say "when defending this round, you may…"?

"This round" might be included for one of the following reasons:

1. To limit the crit die to 1 per round

2. To limit the effect of doing the Marksmanship action to 1 round (so that you don't perpetually get the effect every turn without doing another action).

I thought the second was stupid, but when you look at all of the other upgrades in the game, they each specify when an effect should end (unless it doesn't end, like determination).

I actually think both meanings might be intended. 1 Crit per round. AND 1 action per round to use marksmanship (instead of one action to get marksmanship every turn for free).