Unofficial Species Menagerie

By cyril2, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

Really like the write ups as a whole, and they're in line (mostly) with what I would use, so I'll likely use it whole cloth. The one exception that I have issue with is the Verpine. In lore they're renowned as techs (at least on par with the Sluissi), but instead of getting an ability like the Sluissi, they get something on their eyesight (which, to be fair, is something they can do well). I'm not sure if this was to keep them different from the Sluissi or not, and while I certainly wouldn't want to go back to the D6 days where they were pretty much super broken, I think that something different is called for. Also, maybe something about the fact that they use radio frequencies to communicate.

Not sure what I'd do here, but I'd love to hear your thought process into why you chose what you did with them.

Just tried to download your great work but I keep getting a page not found error.

Kaldriss said:

Just tried to download your great work but I keep getting a page not found error.

The link that Cyril posted in the initial post doesn't work as I intentionally took that version down.

Eldath has the link to the most recent version in his post, and that should work.

Raithe said:

Really like the write ups as a whole, and they're in line (mostly) with what I would use, so I'll likely use it whole cloth. The one exception that I have issue with is the Verpine. In lore they're renowned as techs (at least on par with the Sluissi), but instead of getting an ability like the Sluissi, they get something on their eyesight (which, to be fair, is something they can do well). I'm not sure if this was to keep them different from the Sluissi or not, and while I certainly wouldn't want to go back to the D6 days where they were pretty much super broken, I think that something different is called for. Also, maybe something about the fact that they use radio frequencies to communicate.

Not sure what I'd do here, but I'd love to hear your thought process into why you chose what you did with them.

Well, the Verpine already get a couple of perks that fit their reputation as mechanics, namely Gearhead and a bonus rank in the Mechanics skill, so it's not like they didn't get anything. With the Sluissi, they're known for their tech-savvy but also for taking a lot of time to get it "just right," meaning that if they want to get their extra perk, they have to spend a manuever to do so, which may not always be a viable option to take. The Perception bonus is itself a nod to prior versions of the Verpine in other systems and their exceptional eye for fine details. Though I suppose if you really felt the Verpine need more of an edge in being mechanics, then you could expand the microscopic vision to also cover Mechanics checks, or just provide a boost die instead of negating a setback die on Perception checks. or even both, though if you do go that route, I'd ping the Verpine another 5 XP, as an always present boost die is a much larger present than negating a not-always-present setback die.

The radio frequencies bit s utlimately a fluff item, and really doesn't have much use unless you've got multple Verpine in a party, plus the fact that EotE really doesn't concern itself with languages makes it even less useful under most circumstances, so in the interest of saving space and keeping with the main focus of crunch, it was left out since there's not really any mechanical benefit involved.

I have a player who wants to convert his Felucian (jungle) force user from Saga edition to FFG. Have anyone attempted this statup?