Unofficial Species Menagerie

By cyril2, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

Some of you know, but others that don't visit the thread probably missed it, but myself and Donovan Morningfire decided when the game released that we were going to put together a quick and dirty PDF of several iconic Rebellion Era races that aren't covered in Edge of the Empire.

Well, the final editing and proofing is done and the PDF if live. You can read the announcement here , which includes a link to the actual piece. Enjoy, guys. And we'd love to get your comments and feedback.

Nice work, Cyril. :) An excellent resource for us beta testers, at least until more material is published.

Thanks for putting it together guys

Shakespearian_Soldier said:

Nice work, Cyril. :) An excellent resource for us beta testers, at least until more material is published

What am I, chopped liver? gran_risa.gif

Thanks for putting it together guys

You're welcome. I must say this was quite fun to work on, both in coming up with the stats and in collaborating with Cyril.

In a word……WICKED AWESOME!!!

I know, I know. That's 2 words, but you know ….it's worth that extra word. So you go ahead and keep them both.

Ah, sorry for not giving credit where it's due! Good job to everyone who worked on it! :P

Awesome, I love it, thanks guys. There are a couple of species I would not use myself (Ewoks and Gungans specifically) but that is just my preferences. Great work and well set out.

Eldath

Just a quick FYI, but a few minor typos were identified shortly after this went live.

They're pretty minor in the scope of things, but the updates have been made and a new copy can be downloaded via the GSA article.

If folks do make use of these species, by all means let Cyril and I know how they work in play, as we'd love to hear your feedback.

Shakespearian_Soldier said:

Ah, sorry for not giving credit where it's due! Good job to everyone who worked on it! :P

No worries dude gran_risa.gif

Is there any chance we can get the Arcona for version 2? Otherwise, great job!

I had thought about the Arcona well after we had turned in our last species for this particular guide. I haven't really sat down to do much with them yet, but it is high on my list for another species.

I'm glad you guys like the guide. Certainly makes the work worth it. happy.gif

Wow. Really cool!

I would have expected to see Ryn in there, and for Ithorians to have a Bellow ability, but otherwise, nicely done.

Just an FYI, but Cyril and I are working on an updated version, as a few more errors were found, and rather than just toss up a version with only those two tweaks, I'm thinking we can expand the catalog, with roughly a dozen new species on the docket, as well as some revisions (and corrections) to several species.

doctorbadwolf,
For the Ithorians, personally I never really liked that Saga Edition gave them a Bellow attack as a species trait, as the only Ithorian that's been seen doing that was a Jedi Master in an animated series that already had over-the-top Force usage. It was a cool effect, but I think it could have just been viewed as a fluff-altered Force Slam (Saga Edition) or a re-fluffed application of the Move Power (EotE).

As for Ryn, I believe Cyril's working on those, so there's something you can look forward to when the Reloaded version gets published.

Are you guys adding Arkanian/Offshoot to the new version? That's my favorite species and I'd love to see either your take on it or my own put in there…

Eruletho said:

Are you guys adding Arkanian/Offshoot to the new version? That's my favorite species and I'd love to see either your take on it or my own put in there…

They are on my list to be added. I've got a working version, but I want to give them at least one more look-over.

My browser (chrome) is giving me a Malware warning page when I follow that link. Hopefully you guys can sort that out, I'd love to see what you've got.

Edrac said:

My browser (chrome) is giving me a Malware warning page when I follow that link. Hopefully you guys can sort that out, I'd love to see what you've got.

The link Cyril provided is to the GSA main website, and the document itself is on GoogleDocs, so not sure why your browser is giving you any sort of warning flag. And this is the first I've heard of somebody having an issue accessing either the site or the document.

Have you tried checking the links with a different browser? I don't use Chrome so I can't really provide any further help.

Hi guys.

The GSA had an issue earlier in the day due to someone linking in some badware that caused Google to start tossing out warnings.

The issue has been resolved and google has cleared the site. It'll just take a little while for everything to catch up and update.

In the meantime, we're all perfectly safe again./

Fiddleback said:

Hi guys.

The GSA had an issue earlier in the day due to someone linking in some badware that caused Google to start tossing out warnings.

The issue has been resolved and google has cleared the site. It'll just take a little while for everything to catch up and update.

I believe you meant -

"We're all fine now, thank you. How are you?"

Don't feel bad. It's a common mistake. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Cyril said:

Fiddleback said:

Hi guys.

I believe you meant -

"We're all fine now, thank you. How are you?"

Don't feel bad. It's a common mistake. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Boring conversation anyway…

Luke, We're Gonna Have Company!

Great work from both a mechanics and presentation perspective. You included most of my missing favorites. Though I must wish a plague upon your house for including a squib. I still have nightmares about the template from WEG. I will let you know what the players think.

Donovan Morningfire said:

Just an FYI, but Cyril and I are working on an updated version, as a few more errors were found, and rather than just toss up a version with only those two tweaks, I'm thinking we can expand the catalog, with roughly a dozen new species on the docket, as well as some revisions (and corrections) to several species.

doctorbadwolf,
For the Ithorians, personally I never really liked that Saga Edition gave them a Bellow attack as a species trait, as the only Ithorian that's been seen doing that was a Jedi Master in an animated series that already had over-the-top Force usage. It was a cool effect, but I think it could have just been viewed as a fluff-altered Force Slam (Saga Edition) or a re-fluffed application of the Move Power (EotE).

As for Ryn, I believe Cyril's working on those, so there's something you can look forward to when the Reloaded version gets published.

Totally fair. I had actually forgotten that they didn't have bellow until that point. I rather like the trait in Saga, but honestly I mostly like it because it let me properly build an Adarian character.

speaking of which, they've been around since WEG, any chance of getting them in?

eldath said:

Awesome, I love it, thanks guys. There are a couple of species I would not use myself (Ewoks and Gungans specifically) but that is just my preferences. Great work and well set out.

Eldath

Ewoks weren't known about at this time in the universe as they don't get off their world until after RotJ.

Gungans… yeah, no one is allowed those to keep another Jar-Jar from coming into existence. One ruining the galaxy was enough.

Kallabecca said:

eldath said:

Eldath

Ewoks weren't known about at this time in the universe as they don't get off their world until after RotJ.

Gungans… yeah, no one is allowed those to keep another Jar-Jar from coming into existence. One ruining the galaxy was enough.

Yeah, I know the Ewoks weren't "discovered" at this point, but their iconic enough in the Rebellion Era that I felt it was important to include them. That and I wanted to put them in and help make GM Chris's world a little bit brighter. gui%C3%B1o.gif

I honestly don't get the Gungan hate. Yes - Jar Jar may have been a bad character, and a bad representation of the species, but they are actually a pretty badass species when you start to look at them beyond the single character. Tarpals was a BAMF on the battlefield. Every campaign I run has at least one badass Gungan featured in the game somewhere.

Kallabecca said:

Not entirely true.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Endor

Endor didn't just appear out of a vacuum in regards to galactic history. True, it didn't reach any great prominence until after the Battle of Endor, but it did crop up during the Clone Wars and even earlier, and any "out of the way" planet makes for a possible safe-haven for smugglers and outlaws trying to evade the law. So there's plenty of chances for Ewoks to have escaped off-planet to venture out into the galaxy at large. And with Ewoks being primitive fuzzballs, trying to get them to explain where they came from in terms of galactic coordinates is probably on par with trying to get your average housecat to dance the Charleston on command. And given the wide diversity of species in the Star Wars 'verse, a walking teddy bear isn't going to draw all that much attention, and might just be written off a sight of brief and mild curiosity under most circumstances.